Home U.S. Coin Forum

1947 Nickel , Mint Made Error or PMD ??-UPDATED Look What I found!!!

VernoVerno Posts: 327 ✭✭✭
edited March 7, 2017 7:25AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi Guys,
Mint made or PMD? Half as thick as a nickel.....

Thanks!
RJ

Comments

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

Genuine mint error, split in half after the strike. Nice one.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • VernoVerno Posts: 327 ✭✭✭

Any thoughts on value? Is it something worth sending in to PCGS? Regards, RJ

• AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow nice find...!! Definitely send it to PCGS. Not only have I trusted them in grading my coins the past 30 years but they are a world leader and A++.

What's it weigh and what does the rim look like? Just for curiosity sake.

I'm guessing the alloy from an outside vendor was sub par. Make sure nothing catches and dislodged those pieces of metal (i.e., sliding in a coin flip).

Boy that coin sure is somethin'. Envious!

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice "split" error.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

@CaptHenway said:
    Why would it need to be slabbed? The error is obvious and the grade is irrelevant.

Darn it my post got deleted. I don't know why this keeps happening.. grr..

I'd send it off for grading for insurance, cataloging, having a proper case, and being acknowledge as a post strike split planchet. Easier to counterfeit an error than making a coin. I wouldn't buy this piece at a shop or person to person unless I knew it was at least acknowledged as being what it is.. despite being blatantly obvious.

I see two pieces that could come off accidentally by mishandling. Two others look like they'd be harder, but would completely ruin it.

I had a lamination on a Lincoln cent, from 11 to 4 across the bust. It was in a hard shell holder and I'll never know what happened but it fell off. It absolutely ruined a coin that, if it didn't have an error, would've been ms63 or greater. The damage on this one wouldn't be so severe but at least noticeable, and further look like PMD, and be totally worthless an unappealing.

@Verno - where did you find this? If you ever got the other half, a "mated pair" could go for hundreds of dollars. Then there's no question on sending it out to be slabbed or not.

http://www.jimscoins.com/error_coin_examples.php

"If the impurity is severe enough, it can case the planchet to split into two halves obv. and rev. If the planchet splits before the strike, the resulting coin will be thin and have detail on both sides but often intermingled with rough striations from the impurities. If the planchet splits after the strike, one side will have full detail and the other side will be blank and striated. In either case the coin will be thin."

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Azurescens said:

@CaptHenway said:
    Why would it need to be slabbed? The error is obvious and the grade is irrelevant.

Darn it my post got deleted. I don't know why this keeps happening.. grr..

I'd send it off for grading for insurance, cataloging, having a proper case, and being acknowledge as a post strike split planchet. Easier to counterfeit an error than making a coin. I wouldn't buy this piece at a shop or person to person unless I knew it was at least acknowledged as being what it is.. despite being blatantly obvious.

I see two pieces that could come off accidentally by mishandling. Two others look like they'd be harder, but would completely ruin it.

I had a lamination on a Lincoln cent, from 11 to 4 across the bust. It was in a hard shell holder and I'll never know what happened but it fell off. It absolutely ruined a coin that, if it didn't have an error, would've been ms63 or greater. The damage on this one wouldn't be so severe but at least noticeable, and further look like PMD, and be totally worthless an unappealing.

@Verno - where did you find this? If you ever got the other half, a "mated pair" could go for hundreds of dollars. Then there's no question on sending it out to be slabbed or not.

http://www.jimscoins.com/error_coin_examples.php

"If the impurity is severe enough, it can case the planchet to split into two halves obv. and rev. If the planchet splits before the strike, the resulting coin will be thin and have detail on both sides but often intermingled with rough striations from the impurities. If the planchet splits after the strike, one side will have full detail and the other side will be blank and striated. In either case the coin will be thin."

It's quite obvious what this is to those that would be interested in purchasing it. And there is no way you could fake this that would be able to fool buyers of this type of coin. I'm not even sure PCGS would slab it with the detaching metal anyway. Its possible as it does looks like most flakes are stable but that strip in the lower middle going up to center will probably preclude it from being slabbed.

The more you VAM..

Learn something new every day. Thank you CascadeChris.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice error!

Thanks for all of the input, appreciated. Unfortunately, I only have the 1/2 of the coin. Also, the coin seems to have a bit of wear...did it actually circulate this way for some time? Came into shop in the ubiquitous "bag of stuff"
    Regards, RJ

BTW, The weight is 1.8 grams, I think someone had asked.....

• ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

To get an error graded at PCGS would be a minimum of $93 excluding postage to them.

https://www.pcgs.com/servicesandfees

The Error grading is $60, $10 handling charge, $23.05 return S&H.
    That's why @CaptHenway said it's not worth grading. I'd think you'd be hard pressed to ever get your $93 back out of that coin. Of course the handling and S&H could be split with other coins if you had others to submit under the error tier. There are always other reasons to get a coin graded/slabbed and you're free to do what you wish with your coins, but I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be an economic incentive to do so on this one.

All that being said, it's a very cool error.

• leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

$60? Yow!

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

FYI - a 1953 Nickel, just like this one,
    circ., sold over the weekend on Ebay
    at $26......

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022

Still a nice profit margin on a nickel.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

First one of this type error that I have seen, thanks so much for posting it :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FredWeinberg said:
    FYI - a 1953 Nickel, just like this one,
    circ., sold over the weekend on Ebay
    at $26......

My point exactly!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting error.

I have one of these split planchet nickels. I have the half that has the reverse. From the look of the reverse I think it is from the 1970's.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting .... a full split planchet.... not common.... Would be awesome if you had the other half as well... Cheers, RickO

Ricko, you ask and you shall receive......look what else I found in the bag of stuff....was in there separate and with no reference to the other half!!!

edited March 7, 2017 7:43AM

Oh wow! Is it the other half of that other? If it's a mated pair that's incredible. What do they look like side-by-side? If their combined weight is 5g it might be a mated pair.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

very very nice finds.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool.

Wish I was that lucky to have found the other half of the one split Jeff. nickel I have.

• jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Azurescens said:
    If their combined weight is 5g it might be a mated pair.

In this case it's overkill to get the weight. If they fit snugly when you put them back together, you're golden. I've had both halves before. When they fit, there's no question about it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file