Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Doily Hall of Fame

DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Doily Census thread in its second generation (oh, a superb pun) has been viable now for enough time to take the number of known Doilies from a paltry 130 up to something in the neighborhood of 830. Long gone are the days when I had 80 of the 130 known and I could see my name in numismatic history alongside Bowers, Elaisberg, Farouk, and Pogue (uh, that is intended to be self-deprecating humor). Thanks to the diligent efforts of Lakesammman, not only in spurring interest in bringing the Census up to date, but also spending time developing the nuances and accuracy of it, we have a relevant and usable record of this fun part of numismatic history.

But now it is time to take it to the next level . . . . with your help.

We will take the Doily Census from the objective and meticulous, to perhaps the quasi-subjective, through this thread and then a permanent adaptation of it. Let's formulate a Hall of Fame for the holder . . . looking at criteria that spans finances, uniqueness, history, grade, interest, and whatever else you would like it to be. This will be YOUR Hall of Fame, with nominees to the status to be sent in by YOU.

We envision the thread to include pictures, a poll including the nominees you send in, and all-in-all, a small subsection of holder 'eye-candy' that can be constantly updated and/or adjusted. The number of pieces in the HOF can also be a subject of your input . . . should it be 10? 20? 50?

Give us your thoughts and also . . . let's start with some NOMINEES!!!! Do you own a special (even just to you) Doily? Do you know of one, or have seen one, that really took your breath away? Toning? History? Grade? Post a pic !!!

Post away! Lakes and I will monitor the thread, and within a few weeks we should have an idea of where this will go. Sure, between the more aggressive Doily collectors out there, we could certainly come up with some nominees, but let's hear from the members! Your thoughts, pictures, reasoning for why a particular coin could be included are relevant.

We look forward to your input!

Drunner
(Doily Poseur)

Comments

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 6, 2020 7:33PM

This one is special to me for an obvious reason. Nuff said. AFAIK, it's the only Wisconsin in a doily tho I have seen a couple in 2.0 and 3.5 holders.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was my first doily and it's the only Boone in the census.

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

The idea intrigues me.

This one recently sold by CRO sure looks special.

• Options
    Banknotes122Banknotes122 Posts: 74 ✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2017 9:44AM

Here is a Mercury Dime Doily. The coin does have a small spot. The coin looks a lot better than it does in the photo.

Successful transactions: Illini420, Bajjerfan, Coinfolio, Chadc13, Konsole, DM679864, Weiss and many more

• Options

Great pix so far. And Mike . . thanks for that 1880 $5. Still one of my favorites.

Drunner

• Options
    Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭

Loved the look of this one, so its in my variety set

And this one is in my slab generation set, my 1st doily.

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cameonut said:
    I'm working on a 1960 proof set in doily slabs - got a long way to go.

First up is the least valuable coin in a doily slab - a whopping 7 bucks in the current price guide.

Next up is the Franklin - borderline cameo contrast (note that cameos were not designated by PCGS in this time frame)

Please offer a cent, dime, and quarter - if they even exist!

I would venture to say you may find a
    Small Date proof, but finding the others......you'll have to be very persistent....if, as you say, they even do exist.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sandman70gt... Wow.. that '42 Merc and Walker are outstanding.... and a great year... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 6, 2017 7:28AM

Thanks for getting the ball rolling. Spellcheck won't let me spell Drunner as the 1st word.......... :s

I'd like to nominate the most expensive Doily ever sold, the 1800 1/2 dime for $111K and the hand cut sample doily. B)

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Loving this thread! :love:
    This is a common coin, but the coin and holder just look so nice! I am really fond of this coin! (it's my second, but favorite Doily)

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

(And it's a Ricko approved coin) ;)

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SeattleSlammer said:
    The idea intrigues me.

This one recently sold by CRO sure looks special.

i saw that and it does look sharp, i agree.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold on Gold in Doily. There aren't too many Liberty Head Eagles in these holders:

The full cert number is 09142618.

• Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

This coin went up to visit JA last week and came back with a gold sticker.

I always though the strike was a bit weak to warrant a 67, but he felt otherwise. It was not our only disagreement but I did go 60/80 so it was a good visit.

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• Options

Some intriguing pieces here!!!

Let's keep them coming! The Barber is a wowzer candidate, and we may be looking at the 1880 1/2D and Hand-Cut as #1 and #2, but that certainly doesn't exclude something like a Jeff Proof! Imagine . . . who would be willing to slab something like that, and for what benefit? So . . . a worthy candidate!

No rules here . . . examine whatever you feel might be HOF material and post a nominee!

Drunner

• Options

How 'bout a walker/doily grading set?

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a 1900-O Morgan Dollar in a doily 62DMPL. DMPL's are rare in doily holders but there are a few common date DMPL's. What is special for me is 1900-O has about 30 DMPL coins in all grades. This is a tough coin to find in DMPL. Mine was the only CAC DMPL for a long time, now there are 2 that are CAC. The coin is white, but I just got to Orlando and don't have pics real handy.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options

Nice Todd . . . and a good technical analysis of the Doily/CAC/DMPL area. I have found that my DMPL Doilies are particularly weak in reflectivity . .and may not qualify as DMPL now. I think you have seen one or two of them and agreed in the past . . .

I love the Doily Walker Grading Set !!!

Drunner

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are there any lowball commemorative's in doily holders?

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DRUNNER said:
    Nice Todd . . . and a good technical analysis of the Doily/CAC/DMPL area. I have found that my DMPL Doilies are particularly weak in reflectivity . .and may not qualify as DMPL now. I think you have seen one or two of them and agreed in the past . . .

I love the Doily Walker Grading Set !!!

Drunner

I have owned several DMPL doilies and sold them due to the mirrors being weak. But I am keeping the 1900-O, it is a tough date it it does have the mirrors needed for the date. I know the first one I bought was an 1885-O, the mirrors were pretty bad, at least it had a splash of color to go with it.

I think I still have one other PL in the box also.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Im getting a bit of doily jealousy. :o #Jellydoily

• Options
    FallGuyFallGuy Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2017 1:24PM

Delete

• Options
    edited May 17, 2019 5:44AM

I have been working on completing this small set, but the 1921 D eluded me, it wasn't known in a Doily til now. I was beginning to think I may never may complete the set.
    All 5 Morgan mint marks in the Doily slab.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice, thank you all for sharing !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did someone say Sample?
    The centerpiece of my Sample Dime's
    No Line Doily

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options

Doily Walker grading set update,
    No cac for you 62!!

• Options
    Ike1964Ike1964 Posts: 218 ✭✭✭

The first known mint state twenty cent piece.

• Options
    Ike1964Ike1964 Posts: 218 ✭✭✭

1961-D Roosevelt Sample with a 1964 coin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file