Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1937 d Washington quarter I believe struck over standing liberty? Help?

2»

Answers

• Options

thank you and i apologize if i said anything that offended anyone, and i dont know who anyone is or what kind of experience they have had, i am a inside wireman electrician for the i.b.e.w. for 15 years, and i know a lot about electricity and how it works, one thing i always perfer to do is if we have a situation that has a tough answer i usually entertain the ideas of the most unlikely person... a first year apprentice, why? This person is not thinking for the perspective of a journeyman electrician he is thinking from a amatuer almost no experience perspective and 9 times out of 10 they are wrong, but that 1 time out of 10 could save me hours or days of labor and materials, all from the thinking of someone with absolutely no experience in the field they are thinking from outside the box and not from the conventional electricians normal perspective. I am that apprentice and yea im probably wrong, and being hopeful. But i am also throwing out ideas that the normal 50 years experienced guy probably would never even crossed his mind, so to you all, my ideas and thinking arent to try to argue with you, or try to say that you are wrong, they are to throw out an idea and get your expert opinions, like i said i mean no disrespect to anyone. and no i didnt get a specific gravity on that coin i cant spend the 1200 dollars right now to get the scale for it that has a high capacity and is acurate to the thousandth of a gram.

Brian k.

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just to let you know that there is no need to spend $1200 for a scale. You could purchase a good scale for under $100 with ease that would be very accurate. If you have time you could also take it to a local coins shop, jewelry store, or maybe even pawn shop where they would likely have a scale or testing equipment for such things.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options

@keets said:
    Hey there friend all I asked for is help there is no reason to be all assholeset ok. I bet every one of you when u got ur first coin like this knew exactly what It was along with the proper definitions for every type of error or counterfeit or whatever. I just ask for help and I get a buncha rude jackassy responses well most of em is this hat you do to all people that ask for help as a beginer. Tells me a lot about the coin collectors club and the pcgs.

yet another post from a newcomer who is Numismatically ignorant, asks for assistance and doesn't get the answers he hoped for so chooses to battle. next, please.

newcomers need how to learn how to introduce themselves and enter the room with grace.

sorry about that mr. keets its just a general rule of thumb that i defend myself when i get attacked but it was wrong of me to use that language and attitude i apologize

Brian k.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 5, 2017 1:02AM

@Screeb741 said:
    If it is lead that would mean that it is a experimental strike metal as i was reading about this experimental die trial

I don't think the U.S. Mint has ever conducted trials using lead as an alternative metal for the planchet of a modern coin. Can you imagine how heavy a couple of dollars worth of quarters would be in your pocket? The coin in the original post clearly appears to be a counterfeit.

• Options

@Screeb741 said:
    On us patterns site they specifically said lead was used for some patterns. Just saying I'll do some research but yea dimeman ur right and superman brought it to my house but Santa Claude brought it into the door

Why would there be a pattern Washington quarter in 1937 in the middle of the series? There was no need to experiment with metals at that time either.

• Options

@ldhair said:

@Screeb741 said:
    Haven't tested it but will do a specific gravity tonight, I'm at work

Did you ever do this? Did you ever weigh the coin?

It is incredible that he didn't do something so obvious before posting here. This must be what drunk posting is like.

• Options

I am trying to apologize sir, and ur still trying to ridicule me? And by the way I'm a alcoholic and my last beer was on Sept 28th 2014

Brian k.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file