Home U.S. Coin Forum

1939 Mercury Dime and some '45-D, too!

AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know it's worth 6 bucks, but it means a lot to me and is worth being graded by PCGS (a world leader in the coin grading industry).

It was marked as MS69, and is inside a thin plastic shell. I think it's a 67 because of the dings on the reverse.

Whattya think?

1945-D Mercury Dimes (unc roll)

I did a photo shoot of 12, so I think those match. I have to pick 2 or 3 of them to send out to PCGS. I'm considering the last coin.

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Azurescens....Some nice Mercs there... hard to grade with the glare... Looks like Mid MS grades... I do not think the first one would go 69 though... that is optimistic.... Let us know what grades you get... Remember, ownership always adds a point - or two - :);) Cheers, RickO

• FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pictures for your reference. These are probably both MS64 coins.

• AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2017 7:54AM

Thank you both! Sometimes I forget rolls don't always mean gem coins. I found some mean 64 rosies, someone's helping me with those, there's some stunners. The bottom of the roll toned dark, top of the roll rainbowed a reverse.

And heh, yeah I've been out of the game awhile too so I'm safely assuming I'm off by +4 on things I own and +2 on others. But I try and I read and I read some more.. I noticed it's like riding a bike. I do wish I could get better shots. I'm going to try moving rooms with natural light and get my digital camera. At least I know it's guaranteed macro.

That toned one is pretty. I get that in Whitman coin folders occasionally (only 30 years worth) always down on the bottoms like that between 4:00-8ish. It's as if it's framing the design and really brings Liberty right up to you. Thanks for sharing that's a really nice piece, and those pictures definitely give me a good eye for what to send out for PCGS grading. I'm trying to slab pieces in the best of conditions since there's really no monetary gain in them. I'd like to give these 45 mercury and 64 rosies to my nephew I just don't have a presentation plan. Thinking every birthday send him some and as he gets older give him big boy coins, not something that'll break the bank if he lost it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file