Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Has anyone here ever received a circulation-strike "S" ATB quarter in change?

OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

They've been making small quantities for collectors since 2012. I've bought a few 100-coin bags from the Mint, kept some of the nicer ones and released the rest into the wild. I imagine a few others have done so also. Roll searchers and collectors going through their change must encounter them every now and then. Has anyone here ever run across one?

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had one or two... I think I put them in the coin jar... will have to check. Those were 'accidental' finds since I really have not been looking at modern quarters... just too many different designs with the SHQ's etc.. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2017 10:28AM

I dumped about $100 in Denali S quarters back into the wild in 2016.

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2017 10:38AM

Not yet.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am finding 2014 & 2015 NCLT Pres Bucks

So I expect to see some S quarters eventually.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

Nope :) But I might look for them now.

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• Options
    Rob85635Rob85635 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭

@KellenCoin said:
    Nope :) But I might look for them now.

Ditto

Rob the Newbie
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not me, but my brother received 3 in change one day.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have received several in change at meetings of one of the local coin clubs... but not sure that really counts ;)

:+1:

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭✭

I've found 2 "proof" S-mint quarters in my lifetime......... a 1980-S (circulated, but still clean) and a 2006-S North Dakota state qtr in (pristine proof-like condition).

I also somehow came into a 2000-S proof half and 2002-S proof Sac somewhere along the way (can't remember how).

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

not as of yet.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2018 10:30AM

I don't even give quarters a second glance, other than looking for silver or impaired proofs.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've also bought S-mint rolls, cherry-picked a few examples for my S-mint quarter collection, then dumped the rest in the Coinstar machine. Some are rejected because the edge/reeding is too sharp (this phenomenon was mentioned in a recent thread), in which case I just spend the stragglers. They are definitely out there. Of course, that logic hasn't allowed me to find a nice 1969-S doubled die, either, and I do actively look in change for that one.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

No I have not.
    And I have been looking.
    I still haven't seen a P mint Ellis Island.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't found any yet.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I give away some to collectors and sometimes send them to the wild. But very few in perspective.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    bigolebigole Posts: 385 ✭✭✭

I've always been partial to S mints, didn't see many growing up. So for some reason when they came out with these in 2012 I started buying some of each.
    My daughter just started college this year and she came home at Christmas asking for quarters, so I gave her a couple of the 100 quarter bags I had. From what I could tell it wasn't worth the trouble to try to sell them on Ebay after fees and postage.
    Does anyone know of any of the S mint quarters that have any after market value, net of fees?
    Otherwise she's going to put more S quarters in the washers and dryers over the next couple of years, I don't see these as being worth more than face value at the end of the day. I hope I'm wrong.

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bigole said:
    Does anyone know of any of the S mint quarters that have any after market value, net of fees?

Many of the recent mintages are 1.1 million or less, and most will likely remain tied up in rolls and bags for decades, making singles scarce. However, the demand side is weak, with most casual collectors satisfied with P's and D's (and many albums lacking spaces for the S). I don't see much potential for price appreciation in the near future.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file