Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

March Pick ups. Post em if you get em....

sushihotwingssushihotwings Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

I just received these cards in the mail. I have been wanting these Jordans for the longest time in 9.5, but they always seemed to just get away. Not this time.

On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.

Comments

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

My collecting focus is on the vintage cards I had as a youngster. I decided to widen my horizons and picked up a modern HOFer and a future HOFer. So here are my first modern shiny cards. Got them today.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• SpinFadeSplash23SpinFadeSplash23 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

*drools on Jordans

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Brick said:
    My collecting focus is on the vintage cards I had as a youngster. I decided to widen my horizons and picked up a modern HOFer and a future HOFer. So here are my first modern shiny cards. Got them today.

That Future HOFer really deserves it too!

Congrats. Nice shinies!

Kevin

Thanks. A couple more came today. The Rosen is from Invest in Baseball. I did not know that was Sean B. I know some here have a problem with him but I have purchased several cards from him and always got great packaging and quick delivery. I have one more on the way from Steve Novella whom I feel is a tremendous seller. I have officially blown my budget for the first half of 2017. Government assistance just ain't what it used to be.

Ralph

Ralph

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got a complete set of the 1987 Panini Italian stickers in the mail today. I bought it because it had the extremely rare Gritti back on the Mike Tyson. After I snagged it I saw in the sellers notes average NM and was a little worried they might not be as nice as they appeared in the scans. There were a handful that had a little corner wear like the Holyfield and the Ben Johnson had a surface issue but most were very sharp. The set also came with the more rare Andre Agassi back. Here are a few pics.

• CWUCAT62CWUCAT62 Posts: 91 ✭✭✭

Very nice looking acquisition. Love seeing stuff like that in good condition. Happy Collecting!

@Dpeck100 said:
    I got a complete set of the 1987 Panini Italian stickers in the mail today. I bought it because it had the extremely rare Gritti back on the Mike Tyson. After I snagged it I saw in the sellers notes average NM and was a little worried they might not be as nice as they appeared in the scans. There were a handful that had a little corner wear like the Holyfield and the Ben Johnson had a surface issue but most were very sharp. The set also came with the more rare Andre Agassi back. Here are a few pics.

Andre Dawson Super Collector, who also collects the following-
    *Baseball* HOF autographs, Harold Baines, Pete Rose, Joe Morgan & Seattle Mariners
    *Football* Seattle Seahawks, Kenny Easley, Steve Largent, Jon Kitna, & Brian Bosworth
    YouTube Channel link; https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAyO141lGqcV2fEjt723jUQ
  • Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

Sold my 9, made some $ and bought this one to replace. I like the 8 better, so clean

• sushihotwingssushihotwings Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

Dpeck, I absolutely love the Panini set. Very cool.

On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:

Congrats, does the Italian mirror what's in the UK release? Trying to sort through the pop report with the 1986/1987 debacle is a mess.

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

Larkin I am not entirely certain. I will check when I get a chance.

@Dpeck100 said:
    Larkin I am not entirely certain. I will check when I get a chance.

Cool, if there's any golfers in the set, I'd be interested. They're #s 108 (foil) & 204-206 in the UK set. I think there's one 206 listed in the pop, but I'm not convinced it's truly an Italian and not just a Mech Error.

Just flipped through them and no golfers.

• ssdawg77ssdawg77 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

The autos just came back from PSA and the others are for set I'm working on. I/ve had the Schwarber but just got around to scanning.

@Dpeck100 said:
    Just flipped through them and no golfers.

Thanks for checking! Pretty much confirms my suspicion.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

More Rayness this month. Gonna crack this pup and try to create some magic.

• First purchase in 7 years. Resuming my 75 set with one of the big ones

Travis - used to be kcballboy

• curchcurch Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

I just picked these up!

Always looking for vintage wax boxes!
  • TheMickTheMick Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

I'm still adding to my Mantle collection at reasonable prices. I now have 58, 61, 64, 65, 67, 68, and 69.

• CWUCAT62CWUCAT62 Posts: 91 ✭✭✭

That 64' Mick is beautiful. I am missing something? Only a PSA 4? Anyway, to me this is why I do not worry about the Number of the Grade, Eye appeal to me is the most important thing when adding something to a collection. Great Card! Happy Collecting!

@TheMick said:
    I'm still adding to my Mantle collection at reasonable prices. I now have 58, 61, 64, 65, 67, 68, and 69.

Andre Dawson Super Collector, who also collects the following-
    *Baseball* HOF autographs, Harold Baines, Pete Rose, Joe Morgan & Seattle Mariners
    *Football* Seattle Seahawks, Kenny Easley, Steve Largent, Jon Kitna, & Brian Bosworth
    YouTube Channel link; https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAyO141lGqcV2fEjt723jUQ
  • Halos2002Halos2002 Posts: 135 ✭✭✭

I got these back yesterday

"Eye appeal to me is the most important thing when adding something to a collection."

I couldn't agree more. I have plenty of grades 4, 5, 6, and 7 that look decent.

• robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2017 6:18AM

• SpinFadeSplash23SpinFadeSplash23 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭
    edited March 7, 2017 3:24PM

The Charles is the last card in the set and usually has major edge issues due to rough cuts. This is the highest grade in existence with a pop of 8. He had an interesting, almost tragic life, in and outside the ring, ultimately succumbing to Lou Gehrig's disease in 1975.

Vs. Marciano (from Wikipedia) : His two stirring battles with Marciano are regarded as ring classics. In the first bout, held in June 1954, he valiantly took Marciano the distance, going down on points in a vintage heavyweight bout. Charles is the only man ever to last the full 15-round distance against Marciano. A number of fans and boxing writers felt that Charles deserved the decision.[4] In their September rematch, Charles landed a severe blow that literally split Marciano's nose in half. Marciano's cornermen were unable to stop the bleeding and the referee almost halted the contest until Marciano rallied with an 8th-round knockout.

Humbling Video from 1973: https://youtube.com/watch?v=ntSVnJr0F1s

Joe

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.

Nice cards everyone.

Thanks for sharing the background for the card SpinFadeSplash. Always enjoy learning about athletes that I would never have otherwise knew of. Its also cool when guys give info on the card itself such as this being one of the highest grade examples. Thanks again for sharing.

Kevin

• alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭

Sold the Walter Johnson magazine page I bought in January, and picked up a better looking cut as replacement. Can't wait to get this into a custom.

Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page

Another 1964 star. Why in hell did the Cubs trade this guy???

edited March 8, 2017 2:59PM

While my vintage collecting has slowed to a trickle now that I have fewer cards that I'm searching for my modern collecting continues on with my Eichel rookie search. Need just two more. The Young Guns Foil and the Young Guns High Gloss and it will be complete. Well most likely complete.

Here are the two latest both pop 1s for the time being.

Kevin

photo img142_zps7psvblu8.jpg

Kevin

@LOTSOS said:
    While my vintage collecting has slowed to a trickle now that I have fewer cards that I'm searching for my modern collecting continues on with my Eichel rookie search. Need just two more. The Young Guns Foil and the Young Guns High Gloss and it will be complete. Well most likely complete.

Here are the two latest both pop 1s for the time being.

Kevin

• Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

Yes, it is a four, however can't beat the l to r centering I don't care about the spider crease. Can't wait to get in hand

@Dand522612 said:
    Yes, it is a four, however can't beat the l to r centering I don't care about the spider crease. Can't wait to get in hand

First time I've noticed there's a blurred out guy behind his bat. Great looking 4!

L.C. Thanks for the pick me up. I'm trying to figure out how to post from my photobucket. Guess I need to keep trying.

Kevin

Kevin

Kevin, No worries, either use the Direct link from PB and paste in the Attach Image here or dump PB and just drag and drop into your message here.

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dand522612 said:

Awesome l/r centering on the 57 Mantle. One of the toughest cards to find centered in the hobby. Great pickup!

KC

• mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

Groundskeeper rookie card...

mint_only_pls

Nice Mantle but you have to get the Groundskeeper's auto on there!

Kevin

Kevin

• LargentcollectorLargentcollector Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

@TheMick said:
    Another 1964 star. Why in hell did the Cubs trade this guy???

This card is stunning congrats!

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • Picked this up at the LCS today on a good deal. Gotta get it ready to send in.

• garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Love the 72 baseball. Such a colorful set.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 64 Brock rocks! Great looking 7. Congrats.

That 57 Mick is pretty nice looking as well. Tough card to find with that eye-appeal.

edited March 9, 2017 8:07AM

I'm not very good at posting pics on here, so bear with me.

edited March 9, 2017 8:40AM

• initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

Landed my Big Free Agent pickup today, snagged the set on the left

• @initialD said:

Was that the one from BBCE? I was eyeing it for weeks. Great pickup either way.

Joe

• slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

Some great pickups this month. David, you definitely crushed it batting leadoff this month. Those Star Jordans are beautiful. I was the underbidder to you on the Last 11 ROY 9.5 :/ Sorry to have bid you up, even more sorry I didn't win. Congrats on a beautiful card. You still got a great deal on it.

Bill, that bagged Star set looks incredible. Are you gonna rip it and sub it? The top card looks very sharp.

Stephen, good luck with your crack and sub. Hopefully there is a dime in the near future for you!

It is hard to single out all the other great stuff. The low grade, high eye appeal Mantles continue to abound on this board.

David, good luck if you decide to sub your Panini cards. I feel old thinking that those are the RC's and XRC's of players I grew up watching as a kid and those cards are 30 years old!

Joe, the Moncrief looks great. Another great add for your set. A very underrated player of the era and a sneaky tough card from that set. How close are you getting?

Hopefully I will have some contributions of the scanned variety to this thread very soon:)

Steve
  • muffinsmuffins Posts: 469 ✭✭✭

is this an actual "centered" probstein card?

dry land is not a myth.

• initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

@SpinFadeSplash23 said:

@initialD said:

Was that the one from BBCE? I was eyeing it for weeks. Great pickup either way.

Picked it up from my LCShop, but seeing Steve's listing reminded me to go grab one. For years, he has told me about them so I asked to bring me one in and he let me choose from the last two sets. He's had them since they were originally issued. I wanted to buy the original shipping box too but he wants to hold onto it with the last set.
    I will most likely just keep it sealed

2 more Mantles 62 and 66

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TheMick said:
    2 more Mantles 62 and 66

Looked at the 4.5 and it was a great card. Had to make a choice though on which one to go with ;)