Home Q & A Forum
Options

How can make my coin bright and shiny without degrading it?

My R5 coin (which I don't believe is R5 or even close) dated 1894 has a kind of dark brown veneer if that is the right word. It is in reasonable shape except for that veneer and would look so much better if I could make it bright and shiny. The dark brown veneer makes it look ugly and harder to see the coin design. Is there any way to make it bright and shiny without degrading the coin.

Comments

• Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

i hope this is not a joke, DONT Clean that coin. Do a search and find hundreds of threads that explain why. Collectors want original coins and a cleaned coin is a damaged coin.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2, 2017 10:25PM

@johnharlin said:
    My R5 coin (which I don't believe is R5 or even close) dated 1894 has a kind of dark brown veneer if that is the right word. It is in reasonable shape except for that veneer and would look so much better if I could make it bright and shiny. The dark brown veneer makes it look ugly and harder to see the coin design. Is there any way to make it bright and shiny without degrading the coin.

Cleaning a coin is generally a faux pas, bad, not a good idea. It ruins numismatic value (collector desire) and originality.
    If you want a bright shiny coin, I'd suggest buying one that has already been ruined (cleaned/shined)
    Maybe someone even has a cleaned one they would trade for yours!
    Ultimately it is your coin to do with as you desire. But remember that we are temporary owners, and coins get passed on in one way or another as time marches on.
    For every cleaned coin there are 100+ Collectors asking "WHYYYYYYYYY?!"
    Best wishes and happy collecting.

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Angle grinder!

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2017 8:23PM

I feel like my Chain Cent is being yanked. Great second post though. If it's copper, that dark brown veneer is often appreciated. Wood grain toning?

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnharlin said:

What makes you think it's not R5?

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

I didn't think u could clean a coin at all I actually got this Washington quarter that ws struck through some kind of fabric and a piece of the fabric and some grease were still on it.

Brian k.

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pics? Sounds awesome.

I'd never clean a coin. I think dipped coins are a joke and the people who dip them idiots supplying a demand for other idiots. By all means go and ruin 25% of available tradeable us coins for a fad. Lol. Boggles my mind.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Plenty of coins can be improved without harm or evidence! What coin type...picture?

• Options

our patina is probably fine!! Your problem may be in the light you are using to look at such a beauty. B)

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pictures please!!! :#

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸