Ebay raising rates & even more on Top Rated Sellers

2»

Comments

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:

@jwitten said:

@OPA said:
    For "eBbay store" owners and top rated sellers, the increase will bee negligible. And I believe most of us, who are not bellyaching, are. For those that are not, make an effort to become one.

Just the cut in top rated discount will cost me about $500 a year. Your definition of negligible must be different than mine.

Yes, I do consider a .15% increase minor.
    Change to final value fees. Starting May 1, final value fees for eBay Stores in most categories will be increased by 0.15 percentage points. For example, if the current rate is 5%, as of May 1 it will be 5.15%.

You do realize that is not the only fee increase, right? They give a 20% discount on final value fees now to top rated sellers, and that is being cut to 10%. That usually saves me about $200 a month, so actually this will cost me over $1,000 a year (I calculated wrong earlier). 10% is a little bigger than .15%, right?

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

This will slow down and impede numismatic commerce, especially semi-numismatic gold. I wonder if Apmex will be subject to the same new charges or will they discriminate against the smaller ones.

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    So many complainers, I say ebay and PayPal work great.

I built a business on ebay with paypals help.

Stop complaining and move forward.

I too own my job to eBay. I was hired to start/manage an eBay store for our B&M store. I have two employees and I have not seen any slowdown in sales, nor do I see another venue for me to make the same sales I am now.

Sadly I need ebay as much as they need me. They need to start looking at the medium size sellers and asking what we need to make our sales quick and easy. I paid more in eBay fees last year than my take home pay.

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    The email I received mentioned a sale on KY jelly

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    The email I received mentioned a sale on KY jelly

:o:#

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭✭

Only a matter of time ,before Ebay starts charging a buyer's premium on items purchased.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

ErrorsonCoins... do you own stock in eBay? As a small seller how can we not complain? Move forward to what? Into the red? "Staying competitive" has become the equivalent of accepting pennies for profit after final cost, shipping, and fees in some areas.

Agree x1000

• Options

@SurfinxHI said:
    Square?

Sorry, I don't smoke.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mannie gray said:
    ErrorsonCoins... do you own stock in eBay? As a small seller how can we not complain? Move forward to what? Into the red? "Staying competitive" has become the equivalent of accepting pennies for profit after final cost, shipping, and fees in some areas.

No I do not own ebay stock.

I built a business and still make a profit using ebay, all it takes is some hard work. If you are willing to work then it is fairly easy to make money on ebay.

No free lunch.

Sure it may have been easier to make more money in the past (not so convinced tho) but it IS what it IS and there is nothing you can do about it. Complaining will not change anything. Figure a way to make it work for you or move on.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    This will slow down and impede numismatic commerce, especially semi-numismatic gold. I wonder if Apmex will be subject to the same new charges or will they discriminate against the smaller ones.

The big sellers get a heavily discounted rate on fees only in the bullion category (hence the lack of eBay Bucks there)

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@mannie gray said:

I built a business and still make a profit using ebay, all it takes is some hard work. If you are willing to work then it is fairly easy to make money on ebay.

No free lunch.

Sure it may have been easier to make more money in the past (not so convinced tho) but it IS what it IS and there is nothing you can do about it. Complaining will not change anything. Figure a way to make it work for you or move on.

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@mannie gray said:

No free lunch.

Who wants a free lunch????
    I don't. Who said anything about a free lunch?And yes, I work hard. Are you implying that sellers who don't see eBay as a kitten holding a rainbow are lazy???
    And yes, you can and I have made money on eBay., It just continues to be less and less and less.
    But apparently, the eBay cheerleader has issued an edict for us to move on.
    Yes, sir. Moving on.
    Yes sir! Marching in step humming the eBay tune.
    I'm done.
    Please continue to lick eBay's boots.

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking ErrorsOnCoins "needs E-Bay" more than most coin sellers. Error coins are a nitch that only a few Dealers at shows even nibble into. If he didn't have E-Bay to sell his wares, where would he go?

It's his best way to find a limited customer base. That's why he feels they can do no wrong.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

When you make 1000+% on an item what's another 2-3% fee mean?, zilch...

keceph `anah
  • Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is the competition:

Local coin show in the Dallas area: Tables available Price $255 single, $375 corner, $25 for an early bird badge.

So if I get 2 tables, good for 48 hours, I shell out $630. I will assume another $100 in costs to get there, sleep and eat.

All the people that pass by have paid $3 just to get in the door, plus driving time and money.

For that same money, ebay paypal and shipping fees, I could sell $9600 on ebay, and my buyers have not paid a cent to "visit" my stuff for sale.

IMHO, there is a larger problem with the costs of setting up at a coin show. $225 to $375 a table, charge for admission?

I read dealers talking about dropping $2 - $3K just to set up at a show, between tables, air fare, hotels, meals, etc.

In contrast, I set up last weekend at an automotive swap meet. Cost was $40 for a 10 x 20 space, corner or middle, admission was free, gates were open from Wednesday for both dealers and buyers, security provided (roving sheriffs on horses and ATV's. The only issue was weather, but there was clear skies, and day temps in the 60's. There were 2800 spaces.

Next month another swap meet at the NASCAR track in Dallas area, $45 a space, over 6000 spaces, free admission, and you get to listen to various race cars doing lap practice and testing out equipment on the main track.

• Options

eBay has it's pros and cons, but it has the market reach, ease of use, safety for buyers/sellers, it's uncomplicated, and compared to other auction venues, it's fees are actually not bad.

It also has an advantage over other auction companies in that the seller can sell coins within a few days via auction and "unload" material quickly that way, and just as importantly, they get paid quickly, unlike other auction houses, which can take a long time to pay up.

Ebay isn't perfect, but they're actually pretty good.

www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mustangmanbob said:
    Here is the competition:

Local coin show in the Dallas area: Tables available Price $255 single, $375 corner, $25 for an early bird badge.

So if I get 2 tables, good for 48 hours, I shell out $630. I will assume another $100 in costs to get there, sleep and eat.

All the people that pass by have paid $3 just to get in the door, plus driving time and money.

For that same money, ebay paypal and shipping fees, I could sell $9600 on ebay, and my buyers have not paid a cent to "visit" my stuff for sale.

IMHO, there is a larger problem with the costs of setting up at a coin show. $225 to $375 a table, charge for admission?

I read dealers talking about dropping $2 - $3K just to set up at a show, between tables, air fare, hotels, meals, etc.

In contrast, I set up last weekend at an automotive swap meet. Cost was $40 for a 10 x 20 space, corner or middle, admission was free, gates were open from Wednesday for both dealers and buyers, security provided (roving sheriffs on horses and ATV's. The only issue was weather, but there was clear skies, and day temps in the 60's. There were 2800 spaces.

Next month another swap meet at the NASCAR track in Dallas area, $45 a space, over 6000 spaces, free admission, and you get to listen to various race cars doing lap practice and testing out equipment on the main track.

At the swap meet, how are your sales?

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    boyernumismaticsboyernumismatics Posts: 473 ✭✭✭✭

I have closed and opened my eBay store (of the same name as my screen name) mutiple times in the past couple years due to the greed and stupidity of eBay. Greed, greed, greed.

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@giorgio11 said:
    I quit selling on FeeBay in 2008 and got my own nice website designed. Sure, it's sleepier than Sleepy Hollow, but it does bring in an estate deal or a sale once in a while. And I am in charge of my own destiny. I set the rules.

Kind regards,

George

Ebay is a tool, why not use it?

I also have my own website. I use ebay as an advertising tool for my businesses.

I run 99 cent auction every week, and the winners get a link to my website and a business card on every purchase.

I also run BIN eye candy on ebay that gets quite a bit of interest.

Ebay has the eyes, and I grab some of them.

That seems reasonable - maybe if one sets up their own website and use ebay solely for advertising through a basic store subscription ($240/year) with the intention of never selling because the mark up will be 12% or higher just to cover fees so astute buyer won't buy from you on ebay but go instead to your website with lower prices (?). But from what I can tell, there are a whole pile of fees for 'Good til cancelled' listings that turn over every month? For example, if you list 50 per month BIN, the following fees apply?

Scheduled listing - $.1
    Listing designer - $.6

So that is an extra 70c for each listing, so for for 50 listings that is another $35 per month ($420/yr). So then you are at around $660 per year in ebay store subscription and fees just to show your product with the idea that folks will go to your website to buy. Let's say you sell $30K per year with a 10% net margin of profit (small time seller). So you are paying ebay 660/3000 = 22% of your net for advertising. So my fist question be, is there a way to reduce the small fees like above? If not, then one has to decide as a small time seller whether that road of advertising is worth it? Certainly seems that it would be for larger sellers - get to $100K sales on your website with 10$ margins and you are only paying 5.5% for advertising in ebay.........

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@giorgio11 said:
    I quit selling on FeeBay in 2008 and got my own nice website designed. Sure, it's sleepier than Sleepy Hollow, but it does bring in an estate deal or a sale once in a while. And I am in charge of my own destiny. I set the rules.

Kind regards,

George

I also have my own website. I use ebay as an advertising tool for my businesses.

I run 99 cent auction every week, and the winners get a link to my website and a business card on every purchase.

That seems reasonable - maybe if one sets up their own website and use ebay solely for advertising through a basic store subscription ($240/year) with the intention of never selling because the mark up will be 12% or higher just to cover fees so astute buyer won't buy from you on ebay but go instead to your website with lower prices (?). But from what I can tell, there are a whole pile of fees for 'Good til cancelled' listings that turn over every month? For example, if you list 50 per month BIN, the following fees apply?

Scheduled listing - $.1
    Listing designer - $.6

So that is an extra 70c for each listing, so for for 50 listings that is another $35 per month ($420/yr). So then you are at around $660 per year in ebay store subscription and fees just to show your product with the idea that folks will go to your website to buy. Let's say you sell $30K per year with a 10% net margin of profit (small time seller). So you are paying ebay 660/3000 = 22% of your net for advertising. So my fist question be, is there a way to reduce the small fees like above? If not, then one has to decide as a small time seller whether that road of advertising is worth it? Certainly seems that it would be for larger sellers - get to $100K sales on your website with 10$ margins and you are only paying 5.5% for advertising in ebay.........

Best, SH

Who would schedule a fixed price listing? The idea with fixed price is to list a few each day . If you list new items you get a bump in search standings. So if you have 50 the last thing you would want is to put them all up at once. You get a 2 or 3 day bump them your stuff is invisible for the next 28 days.

Use some sort of listing tool to get listings ready then upload in bursts .

non of the listing upgrades are worth anything don't waste money on those.

• Options

I was always kindve surprised that they have ads that that takes you off eBay...

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

My eBay fees exceeded rent for the B&M this month by 40%. Money, money, money, money... Its a song, and dance to the bank for my mailman.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2, 2017 4:11PM

@spacehayduke said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@giorgio11 said:

Kind regards,

George

Scheduled listing - $.1
    Listing designer - $.6

Best, SH

If that is your goal, you don't need a store at all. It costs nothing to list for a certain number (50 or 100 listings?) without a store as long as you don't make any listing upgrades. Post some monster toners or coins with otherwise crazy eye appeal at high BINs, and you will have free traffic. ;) Subtly mention your name and business address like Julian does at the bottom of the listing. If you can embed your contact information in images to use as a background template, that's even better.

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

At the swap meet, how are your sales?

Best, SH

Sold more than I bought. I leave my phone number and my window ajar on my truck, and wander around. If people want to buy something, they just put the money in the window of the truck and take the part. If they have questions, they call me.

But I go to the swap meet to buy not to sell, so anything I sell is a bonus.

BTW, the phone number and unattended spots is common in the automotive world, or have someone you met that morning, set up beside you, take the money for you, and you do the same for them when they wander around.

• Options

@rawteam1 said:

Show me where I can find a steady source of coins that I can reliably flip on eBay for 1000% percent profit, and I won't complain about eBay's fee increases.

• Options
    edited March 2, 2017 7:01PM

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

@rawteam1 said:

Show me where I can find a steady source of coins that I can reliably flip on eBay for 1000% percent profit, and I won't complain about eBay's fee increases.

You need to sit down with the error coin guy...

keceph `anah
  • Options

@cameonut2011 said:

@spacehayduke said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@giorgio11 said:

Kind regards,

George

Scheduled listing - $.1
    Listing designer - $.6

Best, SH

If that is your goal, you don't need a store at all. It costs nothing to list for a certain number (50 or 100 listings?) without a store as long as you don't make any listing upgrades. Post some monster toners or coins with otherwise crazy eye appeal at high BINs, and you will have free traffic. ;) Subtly mention your name and business address like Julian does at the bottom of the listing. If you can embed your contact information in images to use as a background template, that's even better.

Very good idea, I wonder if ebay will ever catch on? But still, very good idea thanks.

Best, SH

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file