Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

CAC - What value do you send in?

shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have about 75 bust halves, not high dollar, mostly ranging from $150-$400 or so. I think most would be worthy of a bean, but is it worth it to have them all looked at, or only those over $xx?

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC

Comments

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2017 9:37AM

Whatever has good eye appeal...that is my criteria.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

it depends on the coin. if you think that a $12 sticker (plus shipping) adds value...then go for it.

for example, let's say you have a bust half that is worth $100 more in the next grade up, it might be worth it.

another example: suppose you have a beautifully toned piece. it might do better with a cac sticker.

btw, they do not charge you for ones that don't sticker...so it behooves you to send in several at once because you can reduce your shipping costs per coin.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2017 9:40AM

I don't think you get charged for those that don't sticker. If you stay under the REG mail limits, why not send in the whole batch? For $10/sticker you would get that back on every single coin even down to the $100 level. If you're not thinking of selling in the near future, it might not make sense to do this....unless you'd like another opinion on how you think you're doing.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

RR, if I have the magic eye and they all sticker, I get hot with a bill for $900. lol (I guess that's a good problem)

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options

err hit, not hot.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the idea of CAC and support CAC, but will throw one thing into the mix that you may want to consider. That is, if you send in the bulk, or all, of your CBHs to CAC and then subsequently decide to sell, those coins without a sticker might stand out to potential buyers as coins that are either low end or with issues.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

BTW, they increased fees to $12.50/coin (I think) a few months ago. If you submit as a collector you don't pay for coins that don't sticker. If you need to go through a dealer you pay for all of them.

I usually send stuff worth more than $200 or so, but I think it's a pretty marginal proposition until you're in the $400-500 range. There's no question it makes things easier to sell.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@roadrunner said:
    I don't think you get charged for those that don't sticker. If you stay under the REG mail limits, why not send in the whole batch? For $10/sticker you would get that back on every single coin even down to the $100 level. If you're not thinking of selling in the near future, it might not make sense to do this....unless you'd like another opinion on how you think you're doing.

Registered mail limit is now $50K. His max value looks to be $30K. Just send them registered in a large flat rate box.

• Options

@TomB said:
    I like the idea of CAC and support CAC, but will throw one thing into the mix that you may want to consider. That is, if you send in the bulk, or all, of your CBHs to CAC and then subsequently decide to sell, those coins without a sticker might stand out to potential buyers as coins that are either low end or with issues.

Sell the beaned and not beaned coins separately.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2017 12:08PM

@TomB said:

An entire group of 100 slabbed bust halves w/o any stickers would probably stand out more unless you were Rev. McKinney. You can always removed the non-stickered coins and sell/consign separately. And even if a fresh group, most buyers would assume that maybe only 1/2 to 2/3 at most would sticker....unless Shorecoll has the "eye of the tiger."

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    BTW, they increased fees to $12.50/coin (I think) a few months ago. If you submit as a collector you don't pay for coins that don't sticker. If you need to go through a dealer you pay for all of them.

I usually send stuff worth more than $200 or so, but I think it's a pretty marginal proposition until you're in the $400-500 range. There's no question it makes things easier to sell.

It had been $12.50 per coin under $10k and $25 per coin over $10k for a long time. CAC recently increased its rate to $13.50 per coin under $10k and $27 per coin over $10k.

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not send anything to anyone unless you planning on selling it shortly thereafter.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

My personal criteria is whether the value added or increased liquidity exceeds the $13.50 (or $27) submission fee. If yes, then I would submit, if not then no. Generally, I won't bother with coins under $250, but there are exceptions. Toners and coins with eye appeal that I can sell for a premium (well above average for the grade) usually go in.

• Options

If it's nice you don't [or shouldn't] need the sticker.The fact that so many hype it would indicate that there is a greater degree of insecurity in the business than many would like to admit to.
    As a dealer at our show said on Sunday. If the coin is nice, I buy it. If the coin is nice AND has a sticker, I buy it.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2017 2:28PM

I only send in coins valued over $1 million.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Instead of spending around $1000 on possible stickers... also think of all of the coins you could buy with that same $1000 or so... that would get you another pretty nice Bust Half, or a few of them, wouldn't it???

:)

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

cameonut is of course correct about the current fee schedule. That's what happens when I shoot from the hip. :)

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is not about value, but the spread in valuation between grades.

As for your Bust Halves, I would not bother with CAC for those that grade in the VF35 to AU53 range. These are coins that either have the look or do not. Nice Bust Halfs or even most early type coins in this grade range do not need CAC stickers.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file