Home U.S. Coin Forum

Next thing that matters

GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I read about coin collecting long ago no one focused on the condition of the coin. Then at some point collectors distinguished between uncirculated and circulated---but not the varying degrees of both. Some collectors paid no concern to strike but later especially in certain series strike became important. More recently original coins have become desired when that generally was not the case before.

So my question is what do you think will be the next "thing" that matters that is generally not a concern to most collectors now ?

Comments

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2017 7:06PM

My guess is that the grading services will get more accurate at attributing die varieties.
    And then those will be added to the price guides, pop reports and registry sets.

There might even be multiple grades assigned, like there are on NGC Ancients (strike and surface, in addition to main grade).
    Anything which increases info and differentiates products in the markets creates an incentive to reholder.

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good point.
    I noticed in PCGS Cert Verification, it shows you past auction appearances (and prices).
    I don' t know if this is a new or old feature, but it's a good one.

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unimpaired luster designation. There's a world of difference between a coin with impaired luster and full lusters

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the next big thing is "sharpness of the edge reeding", I'm out. ;)

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

Altered surfaces caused by cleaning, chemical or otherwise.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

Technical grading... It seems to be a forgotten art.

Wondering if there really isn't a series of "next things" as much as we all learn the "next thing" as we collect, and start applying that to our collecting search?

For instance, I'm sure even the first collector would replace a worn coin with a better looking unused coin....or a poorly struck one with a better struck one...long before those "things" were codified and added to the list of important attributes....

• Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

embedding chips into the labels to avert counterfeiting slabs...

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2017 11:24PM

Slab doctors. Take it to the bank. It's coming. Just remember you heard it here first.

• 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

A coins identity and history of ownership along with if the coin has changed in appearance or grade as the coin continues to age.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • OwenSeymourOwenSeymour Posts: 365 ✭✭✭✭

Although it's tough for me to envision the change, I'm surprised PCGS hasn't introduced any new strike qualifiers. Full Horn buffs, Full Hand walkers and so on.

Also as tradedollarnut mentioned, consistent luster.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

While luster has long been given due consideration, I believe it will soon become a major qualifier in grade. That being said, I can see the possibility of a point system being developed to establish a grade. There are many possibilities for such a system, and I have no idea what one will finally be adopted...However, the demand for grade justification and increased uniformity (sans computer grading) will eventually drive such a system into existence. Cheers, RickO

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:
    Unimpaired luster designation. There's a world of difference between a coin with impaired luster and full lusters

Impaired luster designation could apply to 50-80% of seated coinage in grades of MS61 to MS63. That would be interesting. Would "impaired" luster on a "mint state" graded coin also include those missing 10-90% of the original luster? A large percentage of bust coinage would be affected by that....basically all the AU64's and down.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eventually the desire to differentiate and stand out will be satisfoed only when a system is created that will result in every collectible coin being slabbed with imbedded and cloud stored information that describes each attribute of the coin in such detail that each coin will be considered unique.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Micro dotting on the edge of a coin for I.D. purposes?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nap said:
    As counterfeits become of higher quality, as is inevitable, I think pedigree/provenance will be of increasing importance.

have you seen the fake slabs/inserts with provenance? just curious.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

Gazes: More recently original coins have become desired when that generally was not the case before.

I have attempted to demonstrate, as a sub-theme in a multitude of articles, that it has always been true that the vast majority of sophisticated collectors of rare or at least scarce U.S. coins have tended towards relatively original coins with natural toning. Note that I am saying 'the vast majority,' not all sophisticated collectors.

It is not practical to summarize the reasons and evidence for this hypothesis in posts to this thread. Nonetheless, I honestly believe it to be a point of paramount importance in the realm of classic U.S. coins. If the modifications of previously high quality, relatively original coins are encouraged or even widely tolerated, there will be no end to the extent to which they are modified and the number of people who are misled by such modifications will substantially increase.

Understanding Classic U.S. Coins and Building Excellent Coin Collections, Part 2: Dipped Coins

Natural Toning, Dipping and Coin Doctoring, Part 3

The Specter of Coin Doctoring and The Survival of Great Coins

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

Using a 500 power microscope to find heretofore unnoticed DDO and DDR

• dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think objectified technical grading and a rise in PM prices will have the biggest impact.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    Slab doctors. Take it to the bank. It's coming. Just remember you heard it here first.

I actually contemplated advertising a $3/coin slab restoration service at one time. lol

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

Our infrastructure. Apparently the next big thing is quadfurcation. Splitting the atom in quarters instead of halves.

From out of left field:

How long will it be before people start identifying, categorizing, recognizing, and collecting the glut of modern fakes out there?

"Dang, my modern counterfeit collection is moving right along, but I just can't seem to find a good example of the circa 2005 China-5.2 1798 Bust Dollar. Are they ALL that poorly struck?" =:o

• AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

Nap: As counterfeits become of higher quality, as is inevitable, I think pedigree/provenance will be of increasing importance.

Afford: Agreed and that is one of the reasons why i go for them.

Yes, pedigree research and documentation reduces the likelihood of collectors acquiring forgeries. Moreover, as the certified grades of individual coins change, past pedigrees stay the same. For example, the Eliasberg 1873-CC 'No Arrows' quarter has been assigned different grades at different times by different people. Pedigree research discourages coin doctoring, too! If collectors have a good idea of the past appearance of a specific coin, then modifications are more likely to be noticed and questioned.

How will Coin Collectors Interpret Certified Coin Grades in the Future?

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2017 1:00PM

I agree regarding pedigree research. The transfer die counterfeit 1796 large cent that was posted yesterday certainly fooled me. The transfer die counterfeit 1798 large cent in a PCGS slab was even more disconcerting.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file