Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is this mark/line on some Morgan Dollars?

I have a few pieces that exhibit these markings between letters...always at the top of them although each example is in a different place. Some dont have any of this. The overall grade doesnt "seem" too affected by them, but what exactly are they?
(this and all examples I have are on MS coins)

Comments

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2017 7:09PM

You can confirm it's a die crack by looking at it from different angles in high magnification - it will be raised above the normal surface of the coin.

• Options
    jpczjpcz Posts: 47 ✭✭

Thanks! I'm learning. Was able to figure out that the crack is "vam 2b". Looks exactly like examples I see online. Coin is an 1898p. I had a small lesson on vams when I first arrived here, now to do more research!

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

...And die cracks don't tend to affect the grade because they are "as made". Guess some would argue that an MS-70 shouldn't have anything distracting like die cracks....but honestly, who here is looking for MS-70 Morgans? ;)

Some like die cracks because the give the coin character, some prefer to find coins without, and consider them a distraction. To each his own....

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2017 9:32PM

Numerous die cracks on an otherwise gem coin could result in a downgrade. I've seen it happen on a flawless gem shield nickel I submitted. The luster was intense without a single graze on the coin. But there were a large number of die cracks among the leaves and date, possibly distracting to some. It got graded MS64. I thought it was a MS66. Morgans aren't known to die crack near as severe as shield nickels though. Large cent and bust half guys think die cracks are cool. Not so much for shield nickel lovers.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you have an 1888-o with a crack across the face, hit me with a PM please!

bob:)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a die Crack for sure

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Die cracks as mentioned above.... some like them, some do not... It does lend character to some coins (like wrinkles on the face of an old vet).... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    If you have an 1888-o with a crack across the face, hit me with a PM please!

bob:)

Or an 81s with one going from the bottom edge up through the eagles breast :wink:

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2017 6:39AM

Like others have mentioned it is a die crack. Which are common in most series. As the die gets used for many thousands (or even less) of strikes the metal starts cracking. Typically cracks form in the same stress point areas as those are the weakest points of the die with whatever design. Some love them, some don't care and for some it's a distraction especially in higher grade... But Morgan's are in a league of their own when it comes to die cracks. We VAMmers love them. They tell us a lot and can be very helpful in confirming attribution as well and look just plain cool. We have a lot of fun with die cracks, especially with 1921 Morgan's and early peace dollars.

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    jpczjpcz Posts: 47 ✭✭

I dont have either of those mentioned, but with what little I have at this point, it's not surprising. Thanks for the information!

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Die cracks. I like them.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2017 2:02PM

@CascadeChris said:
    .... As the die gets used for many thousands (or even less) of strikes the metal starts cracking.

Actually on liberty seated half dimes at least, the cracks are often in place when the die is created from the hub.
    Then the cracks get wider with more strikes.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file