Home U.S. Coin Forum

Proof Indian cent

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 27, 2017 6:16PM in U.S. Coin Forum

How do others value these, and how do you know whether the toning is original? I picked this one up recently, it has a true view. http://www.pcgs.com/cert/24805926

Comments

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do some searches on "MS70".
    There are those that are fine with the look, and there are those that aren't.
    I am one of those that tries to stay away from the "blue" look (when the toning is mostly a shade of blue, vs just a little bit of blue)

As for value, since they are BN, by PCGS and NGC definition (little to no "red"), they will be "valued" low, according to price guides. Like anything, toning can add value...if it is wanted toning.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love them but only have one. It's PR64 BN.
    I'm no expert so I don't know what to say about the toning on the one you linked but I understand your concern.
    Mine is toned but less crazy. I could not make mine look like that under any lighting.

As far as how to value these, it comes down to gut feeling for me. Certain BN examples have little auction history.
    I paid another 50% over Grey Sheet for mine but I have zero regrets.

If I could only look at one of my coins for a day, I'd pick the Proof Indian.
    Never disappoints.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

logger,

Your 1890 PR65BN is a very nice coin, and does not appear to me to be treated with MS70. I have four 1990 IHC proofs with varying degrees of toning. 1890 IHC proofs with toning are more rare than 1877 proofs with toning. I LIKE your 1890.

OINK

• goldengolden Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love that one!

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd much rather have a "BN" like that one than a full red! Very nice!

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was thinking iodine or other color producing toning chemical, that was my worry, but I guess I was wrong.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EagleEye .... Thanks for that information Rick.... I have never experimented with IHC's and did not know about the chemical concealment of the natural colors. Cheers, RickO

• EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @EagleEye .... Thanks for that information Rick.... I have never experimented with IHC's and did not know about the chemical concealment of the natural colors. Cheers, RickO

Chemical concealment?

Grime, finger oils, PVC and accumulated debris on the surface of a coin is not chemical concealment.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EagleEye ....Sorry if I misused a term... did not mean intentional concealment....was trying to indicate that the contaminants you listed were concealing the true surface condition. Cheers, RickO

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rick, I may be wrong, but I always thought that you could turn copper/bronze blue by using acetone on a coins that had been previously treated with another chemical, such as, but not necessarily, Care.
    TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    Rick, I may be wrong, but I always thought that you could turn copper/bronze blue by using acetone on a coins that had been previously treated with another chemical, such as, but not necessarily, Care.
    TD

Frankly I don't know any way to add toning to copper. If someone does, that's unethical, possibly criminal. If toning is already there and you bring it to light, that's conservation.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • logger7logger7 Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

By looking at certification numbers before this coin it looks like similar ones were in the group, one graded questionable toning, but here is another one: http://www.pcgs.com/cert/24805922

• illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

I trust the experience and expertise of @EagleEye when it comes to toning on Proof Indian Head cents, but you can certainly artificially color tone copper.

There are many sellers of copper rounds/medals that sell toned versions and many of those come out looking quite beautiful... if they can do that with newly struck copper, it's not a stretch to think that someone could do it to a cent as well, especially when motivated by a likely jump in marketability. Hopefully, we can all trust that the grading services are also experts in this area and can tell the difference between those toned cents that are the real deal and those that are not.

For reference, here's a copper medal from 2014 that was artificially color toned when I bought it... very pretty, even more so in hand:

photo 2014panamatonedobv_zpscd1fee7a.jpg

• JustMe2JustMe2 Posts: 179 ✭✭

@EagleEye said:

@CaptHenway said:
    TD

Frankly I don't know any way to add toning to copper. If someone does, that's unethical, possibly criminal. If toning is already there and you bring it to light, that's conservation.

I assume that it is time spent next to something, like sulfur, that transfers to the surface. Why would it be unethical if you figured out to do the same thing in days that can take years especially if you could not tell the difference?

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen large cents that were dipped 'pink', then treated with gun bluing (I was told), to mask the dipping. I do not know for myself if that's what was done, but heard it from an EAC guy, and after having been shown a couple, I can spot them fairly readily. Typically on XF-AU coins, and you usually have remnants of faux red around the devices. They can still look attractive, so be careful.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • KoinickerKoinicker Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

@JustMe2 said:

@EagleEye said:

@CaptHenway said:
    TD

I assume that it is time spent next to something, like sulfur, that transfers to the surface. Why would it be unethical if you figured out to do the same thing in days that can take years especially if you could not tell the difference?

Why would it be criminal?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file