Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Aluminum state quarter with S mint Mark

jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

My father-in-law owns several carwashes and found a aluminum state quarter with an S mint Mark. I looked at it briefly during our lunch out and the detail is extremely good. Are there any foreign countries the United States mint in San Francisco makes coins for?

Comments

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

That could be a pretty nice pay day. Keep us informed. Love to see some pics.

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The great odds are that it's a Proof coin ("S")
    that's been nickel-plated, as a novelty item.

Compare the weight to a normal clad quarter,
    and I'll bet it's the same weight, or a fraction
    more, due to the plating.

(this is said without seeing a photo of the coin,
    and under the assumption that it's a normal round
    Quarter with full reeding, etc.)

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

i have held and own numerous different types of aluminum coins (non-usa) and even the ones as big as a half

dollar are extremely light in the hand. one the size of a state quarter is feather-light.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would love to see a picture :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

How did you determine it was aluminum?

• Options

I don't know what it is. It is very light. He demonstrated the lightness by dropping it to the ground so I could hear it....

• Options

He gets a lot of counterfeit currency and coins at the car wash. He even helped the FBI catch a guy dropping counterfeit $20's up the east coast. Anyway, he thought it was a fake coin but the detail was really really good. Dimensions were right too. I didn't weigh it. I asked him to text me some pictures.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

car wash
    Aluminum quarter

The part that doesn't make sense is that he found only 1.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's probably play money that somebody used instead of a real quarter. Some cash acceptors only check diameter not weight or electrical characteristics.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2017 6:08PM

There have been a number of foreign coins produced at the San Francisco Mint, from 1883-1979, for the following countries: Australia, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Fiji, French Indo-China, Guatemala, Haiti, Hawaii, Honduras, Israel, Liberia, Mexico, Nepal, Netherlands, Netherlands East Indies, Panama, Peru, Philippines, and Venezuela. There have been some, a minority, that have the "S" mintmark. Most don't. The only issues that are aluminum are Philippines 1 sentimos from the 1960s and 1970s, which are either very small or square, and the proof Nepal 1, 2, and 5 paisa coins from 1970-1974, which are all much smaller than a quarter. None of these have the "S" mintmark. There have also been some stainless steel issues, such as for Costa Rica, that might appear light. Offhand, I can't think of an issue that has an "S" mintmark that isn't silver, bronze, brass, german silver, copper nickel, or some other "heavier" alloy.

So, I guess we are at at impasse until we can get a better description or a picture.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

We need pictures, weight... Seems as if it would be too trivial to counterfeit a quarter... however, for something like a coin operated car wash it might be useful.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds interesting. Indeed it would be VERY lightweight. Probably a gram in weight.

Alice3

• Options

pi(d/2)^2thickness*density of aluminum

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

The cost to create a counterfeit quarter must be huge. It would take quite a few to get a return of investment, considering the exposure of getting caught. Does the mint produce aluminum coins for other countries? This would seem like the only way this error could occur other than a devious mint employee.

Paul
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Weren't the china car recyclers sending fake coins back to the mint made of pot metal and the mint got taken for bunch paying the claims.

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

My father-in-law owns several carwashes and found a aluminum state quarter with an S mint Mark<<

Yep. Need pics.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

my experience when I find something like this is to immediately check the weight. if that is within a few .00 grams then it is worth checking further.

• Options

@LindeDad said:
    Weren't the china car recyclers sending fake coins back to the mint made of pot metal and the mint got taken for bunch paying the claims.

yes

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LindeDad said:

Yeah, under some sort of damaged coin buy-back program... they were paying out some ridiculous amount, each exported scrap car had way more change than any sane person would ever have in their vehicle. I'll try to find the article.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here we go:

http://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2015/03/feds-investigate-counterfeit-mutilated-u-s--coins-from-china.all.html#

"each car would have had to contain the equivalent of $900 worth of the copper-nickel clad coins, according to the complaint."

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/31/100.11

31 CFR 100.11 - Exchange of bent and partial coins.

Authorities (U.S. Code)

§ 100.11 Exchange of bent and partial coins.
    (a)Definitions.
    (1) Bent coins are U.S. coins which are bent or deformed so as to preclude normal machine counting but which are readily and clearly identifiable as to genuineness and denomination.
    (2) Partial coins are U.S. coins which are not whole; partial coins must be readily and clearly identifiable as to genuineness and denomination.
    (b)Redemption basis. Bent and partial coins shall be presented separately by denomination category in lots of at least one pound for each category. Bent and partial coins shall be redeemed on the basis of their weight and denomination category rates (which is the weight equivalent of face value). If not presented separately by denomination category, bent and partial coins will not be accepted for redemption. Denomination categories and rates are Cents, @ $1.4585 per pound; Nickels, @ $4.5359 per pound; Dimes, Quarters, Halves, and Eisenhower Dollars @ $20.00 per pound; and Anthony Dollars @ $56.00 per pound. Copper plated zinc cents shall be redeemed at the face value equivalent of copper one cent coins.
    (c)Redemption site. Bent and partial coins will be redeemed only at the United States Mint, P.O. Box 400, Philadelphia, PA 19105. Coins are shipped at sender's risk and expense.
    [ 47 FR 32044, July 23, 1982, as amended at 64 FR 39920, July 23, 1999]

however

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2016/04/29/2016-10123/extension-of-suspension-of-coin-exchange-by-united-states-mint

ACTION:
    Notice.
    SUMMARY:
    Under the authority of 31 U.S.C. 5120, the United States Mint established a program by which people and businesses could exchange bent and partial coins for reimbursement. Fused or mixed coins cannot be redeemed by the United States Mint.
    On November 2, 2015, the United States Mint suspended the exchange program for a period of six months to assess the security of the program and develop additional safeguards, as necessary, to ensure the integrity of United States coinage. Since that time, the United States Mint has made significant progress in assessing the current state of the program, evaluating risks, and identifying potential remedial measures. Additionally, the United States Mint has engaged the services of an independent contractor to assist us in these efforts. However, due to recent litigation involving the exchange program and more time needed to complete our work, the United States Mint is extending the suspension of its redemption of bent and partial coins for an additional period of six months.
    DATES:
    Effective May 2, 2016.
    FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
    Tom Jurkowsky; Director, Office of Corporate Communications; United States Mint; Washington, DC; at (202) 354-7720 or tom.jurkowsky@usmint.treas.gov.
    Authority: 31 U.S.C. 5120.
    Dated: April 26, 2016.
    Richard A. Peterson,
    Deputy Director for Manufacturing and Quality, United States Mint.
    [FR Doc. 2016-10123 Filed 4-28-16; 8:45 am]
    BILLING CODE P

• Options
    edited February 28, 2017 3:14PM

who would counterfeit this? but they do.

• Options

Still no pictures or weight information??? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LindeDad said:

The idiots were accepting cargo containers of waffled half dollar fakes. It's hard to believe anyone could fall for such a crude attempt at theft or that the clowns in China counterfeiting these didn't research American coinage sufficiently to know that half dollars don't circulate so wouldn't fall out of junked cars!!!

This is simply indicative of the vast incompetence, greed, and depravity that now runs the world.

The worst part of it is probably no laws were broken in China and no one in this country will be held accountable. There will just be promotions all around.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jessewvu said:
    My father-in-law owns several carwashes and found a aluminum state quarter with an S mint Mark. I looked at it briefly during our lunch out and the detail is extremely good. Are there any foreign countries the United States mint in San Francisco makes coins for?

Could it have been struck over a foreign coin? Canada has nickel plated steel quarters that weigh less than ours. 4.4 grams versus 5.67 grams

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would be interesting to see some close up pictures and to know what it weighs.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bueller, Bueller??

• Options

Looks like this will remain a forum mystery... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CyndieChildressCyndieChildress Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

@Alice3 said:
    Hi guys. My name is Alice and I am a new member to this forum. Nice to meet you all here.

Welcome to the boards!

• Options
    PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2017 7:28AM

Welcome to the Greatest Coin Forum there is.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still believe my first reply is the
    situation on this S mint quarter.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

You would have a better chance of finding a 1965 in 90% Silver.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file