Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Here's a real CAC question....

CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 27, 2017 12:41PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I have 2 BTW Commemorative Half Dollars. They aren't worth much as they sit. Will a trip to CAC be of any advantage? I think they are both under graded, but wont be worth much more even in CACed. am I right? Does everything need to be CACed these days?

Comments

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2017 5:27PM

Remarkable how alike they are! :p
    Lance.
    edited: photos error fixed, I see.

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

@CommemKing said:

They aren't worth much as they sit. Will a trip to CAC be of any advantage? I think they are both under graded, but wont be worth much more even in CACed. am I right? >

You are right.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the tone on these two! Send 'em in!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

I think I could get one to Gold CAC and make a couple hundred bucks! What do you CAC boys think?

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think that CAC will matter all that much in these cases. Both are quite nicely toned, and should fetch more than untoned coins. A serious buyer would be paying for color, and only secondarily for the grade.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2017 1:04PM

No unless big ticket stuff. I might offer full CDN bid on CAC coins but beyond that no interest.

With MV around $150 for both I would not waste my money on CAC for these.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you could piggyback these with another submission and only pay for the ones that sticker (collector) then....... well, even then it's still probably not worth it.....

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

gold cac might be worth sending, green cac probably wouldn't pay the cost to ship there and back

• Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭

If you want to keep them, you don't need to rush them to be beaned. If you want to sell them with a price in mind, put on BST. These are collector coins and you might get full retail there.

You need to ask yourself whether CAC is important to true color comm collectors :)

an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options

cac will matter. it will confirmto others that the toning is genuine-big plus to value

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2017 4:36PM

@caddyshack said:
    cac will matter. it will confirmto others that the toning is genuine-big plus to value

The second one passed the sniffer.

Edit: Great looking BTW's!

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins such as these have the look that speaks to collectors. If CAC sticker is needed because these coins cannot be appreciated on their own merits, then we have collectors that should consider utilizing their talents elsewhere... Perhaps stocks and bonds.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2017 5:13PM

Those are pretty pieces as they sit. Are you referring to value? Cause you say "Worth" sending into CAC. As I say they are pretty so if your talking about selling I do believe if you took some glamour shots of them with your listing they will sell themselves. Those true views should do quite well too.
    No CAC required

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's worth the fee and postage.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've sent them coins of lesser value. I'd send them just because the color adds value.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2017 11:43AM

edit

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not needed.

photo 1950sBTW_MS64PL_Combo.jpg
    64 PL

• Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking BTW`s...

AB

• Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Colorful BTWs, especially 1946s, are very common. Unless the coins are at least MS65 I would not bother to sticker, as the money is in the color. There are however some collectors who mistrust the modern grading in the pronged holders and will only buy beaned coins.

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with those who said to send it along with a larger submission.

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

i thought you didn't like cac.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since the majority opinion the last few months seem to be that a CAC sticker increases the sale price, then, by all means, do it....though likely it will not cover the fees....unless a couple of tarnish collectors get into a bidding war.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited March 1, 2017 9:34AM

I don't like CAC but if its going to fetch me more money, its a no brainer and necessary evil.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file