Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Seller turning up the juice and eBay fools drinking it!

Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is the auction and look at the bids!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1879-S-MORGAN-DOLLAR-PCGS-MS64-LOOKS-DMPL-PL-NEON-RAINBOW-TONED-WOW-/252784963447?hash=item3adb286f77:g:lHQAAOSw-0xYmQoW

-

Here is the trueview of the coin for sale:

-

-

Here is the sellers image of the same coin:

-

Comments

• Options
    oldstandardoldstandard Posts: 387 ✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2017 8:07PM

It was all ready returned once I was watching it a few weeks ago it went for over $800

• Options
    jpczjpcz Posts: 47 ✭✭

How come that trueview doesn't have the pcgs logo and cert number like others?

I know it's legit image and on the site, just a question from a newbie.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2017 8:12PM

Only 2 bidders above the $400 level. The under bidder from $316-$780 entered a nuclear bid yesterday (possible shill?). The other guy kept picking at that until beating it by $10 to $790. Hard to say if either one is "real money" and the coin doesn't get returned.

"PLEASE UNDERSTAND IM NOT GOING TO GARRENTEE ANY CERTAIN GRADE OR DESIGNATION BY ANY THIRD PARTY GRADING SERVICE , SO PLEASE BUY THE COIN AS A RAW UNDERGRADED COIN ,GRADING COMPANIES AS IM SURE MOST SERIOUS COLLECTOR KNOW ARE EXTREMELY INCONSISTANT IN THERE OPINIONS , SOMETIMES TO A GREAT DEAL !"

Wonder why they assume the "inconsistent" grading companies erred on the conservative side on this one? Buy as "raw under-graded." If I were doing that, I'd pay $45 as raw/undergraded....lol.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    oldstandardoldstandard Posts: 387 ✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2017 8:11PM

@roadrunner said:
    Only 2 bidders above the $400 level. The under bidder from $316-$780 entered a nuclear bid yesterday (possible shill?). The other guy kept picking at that until beating it by $10 to $790. Hard to say if either one is "real money" and the coin doesn't get returned.

I looked on the last listing to see if was the same bidders on the return sale but they are not the same not that it means anything.

• Options
    BigJohnDBigJohnD Posts: 329 ✭✭✭

True views are sometimes less representative of the true color. Not at all defending the seller as the photos are likely juiced, but the actual color likely lies in the middle. Way too much $ regardless,

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

What kind of juice did he dribble on his other coins? The ones that aren't toned , it looks like the contrast or something is cranked to a million

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1885-O-MORGAN-DOLLAR-CAMEO-ULTRA-DMPL-GEM-BU-UNCIRCULATED-BLACK-WHITE-/252786363431?hash=item3adb3dcc27:g:KbYAAOSwSlBYsQXn

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2017 8:43PM

@jpcz said:

PCGS has several types of images that show up on cert verification:

• TrueView - These are the images with the background that submitters pay for
    • CoinFacts - These images have the same quality as TrueView images but only a white background with a shadow around the coin. These are taking by PCGS at their discretion for use on PCGSCoinFacts.com, hence the name CoinFacts
    • Secure Plus - Secure Plus includes a photography service which is TrueView today. In the past, it included a scan which had a white background and now shadow around the coin.
    • Slab photos - In Europe, PCGS will take photos of slabs

On cert verification only one of TrueView or CoinFacts will appear with TrueView being given preference. If a Secure Plus is available, it will be shown.

You can tell this one is a CoinFacts image due to the white background with shadow, but it is also in the URL:

https://images.pcgs.com/CoinFacts/10699670_Max.jpg

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trueview already turns up the juice. My guess is the eBay coin is somewhat dark in hand. Prooflike toners need tons of light and juice to show the colors. Many Morgan proofs, for instance, that look beautiful in trueviews, look almost black or brown in the slab.

Like this one:

-

Trueview:

-

"Real" look in the slab:

-

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jpcz said:

I do not think it is a tru-view, just a PCGS image.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I doubt Ricko is one of the bidders...

• Options

I love the title of this thread! lol
    Very accurate!

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

The subtitle of the auction gave me a good idea for the boy band I'm forming , Lustre/Pop

As soon as Justin Timberlake gets back to me we should be good to go.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

$810...someone is going to be disillusioned.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland ....You are correct.... Your psychic abilities are finely tuned.... :D:D:D Cheers, RickO

• Options

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file