Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Heritage Auction. Lost on my Bid but Coin is now back in Dealers Inventory?

I saw a coin on the Dealers website Several Months ago that I was interested in. He wanted 875 and when I inquired last month I was told the coin went to the Long Beach Auction.

Now I bid this coin up to 700 bucks and was outbid by someone. Coin sold for 763.75 I was a little disappointed that I did not win the coin but moved on.

Now today I go back to that Dealers Website and the coin is back up but price lowered to 815? I always thought if you were the person selling the coin you could not bid? Is Heritage different?

It Sure makes me wonder about others running up the price of a coin and if they don't get enough they just buy it themselves and put it back up on there own website? But wouldn't these folks have to pay the fees at Heritage for winning that lot? Is this just Normal? I almost feel like I got shilled up to the 700....

Just curious........Enjoy Tom

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.

Comments

• Options
    UltraHighReliefUltraHighRelief Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's called a buyback. It's pretty common.

• Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

On some Heritage auction lots they post a minimum opening bid.

• Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

All I can say is WOW, I never knew this before and that will surely change my buying from Heritage. How many other coins did I over pay because I was getting run up? So this Buyback that you talk about, the dealer or Seller can bid on his own coin and if he wins there are no fees?

They don't allow that on Ebay so I can't understand why Heritage would? If they want a certain amount of Money than it should be a Minimum put on the coin but being able to run up the price sure does not sit well with me either.........

Thank's for the info.......Tom

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2017 3:09PM

I gave up on the auction scene about two years ago. I'm just not good at it. My approach was more or less that of having fun with it all. So, I came away many times feeling that I got burned somehow. Of course it was more a case of me burning myself mostly. When I come up with a better strategy maybe I'll get back into it. Probably not. It's hard to beat the pros. As it should be.

• Options
    rkfishrkfish Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭

When I consign to Heritage I have never been able to bid on my own lots. Buybacks, yes but usually the coin would be listed with a reserve.

Steve

Check out my PQ selection of Morgan & Peace Dollars, and more at:
    WWW.PQDOLLARS.COM or WWW.GILBERTCOINS.COM
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rkfish said:
    When I consign to Heritage I have never been able to bid on my own lots. Buybacks, yes but usually the coin would be listed with a reserve.

How specifically does the buyback work? When is the buyback option taken, etc.

Thanks, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    rkfishrkfish Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭

How specifically does the buyback work? When is the buyback option taken, etc.

Usually when you post a reserve and it's not met you have a "buyback" of 3-5%......

Steve

Check out my PQ selection of Morgan & Peace Dollars, and more at:
    WWW.PQDOLLARS.COM or WWW.GILBERTCOINS.COM
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dealer's can buy back the lots they consign to an auction. It is simply the last bid at the auction, and if the items does sell, a bell rings and an announcement is made that there was no sale. It now shows that on the auction results.

I had this happen on a coin that appeared in a Heritage auction. I saw the coin and was not excited about it, but later the dealer who owned sent it to me on approval. We had an negociation, and I ended up with the piece for quite a bit less that the "no sale" price at the auction.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Bill, so your saying that someone else WAS bidding on the coin and even tho there bid was higher than mine they too did not win the coin? I do not remember any bells or announcement that there was no sale...In fact I thought it showed and still does that the coin sold for the 763.75 There was NO minimum put on this coin.......

Link to My Registry Set.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2017 3:44PM

I understand consignors can buyback, but when can they buy back? Is it only if a reserve is not met then they are required to buy back with a 3-5% fee, or is there other ways as well? It seems like the OP was actively bidding and was outbid (it seems it was all above a reserve or there was no reserve for this to happen), that seems different than a reserve not being met....

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom. Might I suggest asking the dealer why the coin is back on the site after the auction?

I monitor all of the Washington quarter auctions the best I can and then what happens to the coins thereafter. It is very useful information to formulate buy prices later (and which auction prices to possibly totally disregard).

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2017 4:00PM

@1tommy said:

Coin sold for 763.75 >

Guess not. Regardless the esoteric thread discussion. Yep,

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

1tommy, don't forget that sometimes Heritage is bidding on coins for their inventory as well.

• Options

Mitch,

This Dealer is a Well respected Dealer and you don't think he would be offended with me asking how the coin ended up back on his site?

Since the fact I was the last bidder before who ever outbid me and its now back on his site I would think he was the one who outbid me.

Maybe I am wrong but I can supply you both links in a PM as I am not wanting to out the dealer when I still don't understand how he ended up with the coin back.

Dave this coin is back on the dealers site and was not bought for Heritage inventory...

Thanks tom

Link to My Registry Set.

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

All sounds quite discouraging to me.
    If you were out bid, so be it.
    But to see it back up for sale at the original source, ouch. And at a price not too far from your bid.
    It's not like you were trying to go lowball.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

Heritage buying to also keep up their cred so that lots don't sell for lowball bids.

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

@bestday said:
    Heritage buying to also keep up their cred so that lots don't sell for lowball bids.

I gotta ask. Heritage buys to keep up their cred and the coin re-appears on the dealers website.

How does this system work?

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2017 4:55PM

Perhaps the buyer/winning bidder defaulted on the item. In this case, the coin would be returned to the consignor or relisted for auction.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also HA allows dealers access to their virtual boarse, where they can list coins on their sight for sale.

• Options
    edited February 25, 2017 5:42PM

This coin Never had a Minimum Bid Posted but if you read part of the above post,,,

For any successful bid placed by a consignor on his Property on the Auction floor, or by any means during the live session, or after the ”Minimum Bid” for an Auction have been posted, we will
    require the consignor to pay full Buyer’s Premium and Seller’s Commissions on such lot."

So a Consignor does NOT have to have a minimum bid on his coin BUT they can bid without it and just have to pay both fees if they Win. So they can run up a coin and take a hit paying the fees. At least that the way I read that? Edit for comment to tommy....I am not crying foul as I stopped my bid where I felt comfortable but do want to understand how it got back on the dealers site. Trust me I am not going to buy the coin at 815 so will walk away.....

Link to My Registry Set.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I have consigned to Heritage I have been given the option of placing a published minimum or using a hidden reserve. Typically, a published minimum will be put in place a few or several days prior to an auction lot going off and folks will have to bid higher than that minimum to place the bid whereas a hidden reserve allows folks to place active bids even if they are below the reserve. In either case, if the reserve is not exceeded, the lot goes back to me and I am charged a modified buyer's premium, if you will, of approximately 10% or thereabouts of the reserve.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2017 6:23PM

I described last week a series of auction buy backs by one dealer on a gem 1851 half. That coin went to auction 4-5X times over a period of 1-2 years, each time failing to sell. I could only surmise that the dealer did enough business with the auction house as to have a 0% buy back on any coins they supplied to them. It helps to fill up the auction for them. And when the coin wasn't in an auction, it was brought back to inventory until the next auction occurred. So figure anything can happen with reserves/buy backs based on what is negotiated between the house and their consignors. I would think that dealer consignors who can routinely bring $50K or more several times per year would be given more "favorable" terms.

On my last several auction contracts between 2 different major auction houses, I NEVER paid a buy back fee or any commission for a lot that didn't meet reserve. A 0% BB was penned into my contracts. That was the intent of setting a tight reserve agreed to by the house. If you're already setting up the coin to likely sell at "wholesale" levels, then getting hit with another 3-5% fee for spinning your wheels makes no sense to me. The higher reserves you set, which increases the odds the coin might not sell, the more likely the house will want some sort of a commission/BBF for any lots not selling.

You can get whatever you want into your contract if it works for you and the auction house. On one contract for 2 coins only totaling about $40K estimate, I had 0% BB, tight reserves, platinum night only, LB-summer ANA-FUN shows only, full page exposure on one lot - 1/4 page on the other. I also submitted the write ups for those lots which were pretty much followed, including detailed pedigrees. Auction contracts can be a negotiation....not a take it or leave it. Those 2 lots ended up bringing $83K, or much stronger than anticipated.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 869 ✭✭✭✭✭

Different auctions run buybacks/reserves differently. Don't know the specific case here, but those reserves are protection and not some racket. The consignor still has to pay a buyback ransom to get the coin returned. Suppose you have $1000 into a coin you have consigned and put a $750 reserve so you don't lose your shirt, limited to a 25% loss. You end up paying, say, 10% or $75 for the buyback, bringing it up to $1075 into the coin and still have to find a buyer. Is that better than losing $300 or $400 to a lower bid with no reserve? That's for the consignor to reason out. To the bidder, just bid what you are willing to buy it for; forget it is even an auction. If you get it, great. If you don't, it was priced higher than you were willing to pay. If it was the property of the auction house and they were manipulating things with no buyback skin in the game, then it would be a racket.

Some auctions, at least in the past, integrated the reserve into the bidding so the bidders couldn't know for certain if the other bid was just an automatic one from the consignor's reserve, another live bidder, or a mail/fax bid. My approach always was that the distinction never mattered. If I was pursuing the lot and had a maximum I was willing to pay for it, I bid it accordingly.

• Options

Even if they ban bidding up your own items, they would still do it from another account. Back when I had a $500 eBay limit I'd get friends to place reserve bids for me. Like, if I wanted 1,300, I'd ask a friend to bid 1290. I didn't do it to cheat people out of money, but my seller restrictions forced me to do something to protect myself.

• Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

depending on whom you are determines the % you pay for a buyback.

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options

Thanks Tom and Thanks Roadrunner for the explanation. I believe the hidden reserve is what happened in this case and at least I now understand the rules.......

I always try to do my Research on current prices for coins I am interested in and always try to stay within those limits. Thanks everyone.......

Link to My Registry Set.

• Options

@Lemoncadebay said:
    Even if they ban bidding up your own items, they would still do it from another account. Back when I had a $500 eBay limit I'd get friends to place reserve bids for me. Like, if I wanted 1,300, I'd ask a friend to bid 1290. I didn't do it to cheat people out of money, but my seller restrictions forced me to do something to protect myself.

Without disclosure in the terms of the auction or terms of use (as Heritage and the other auction houses do), shill bidding like this is blatant fraud.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmm, stories like this support my contention that it is often difficult what a real sale is/was and how much actually for (as opposed to what is posted).

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

Over the years I've "lost" several coins on Heritage only to have them show up in their inventory at a later date. It's quite common for this type of thing to happen.

• Options
    edited February 25, 2017 8:48PM

@joebb21 said:
    depending on whom you are determines the % you pay for a buyback.

Exactly. Alefzero is incorrect stating everyone pays a BB fee to get their unsold coins back.

I never paid a BBF at major auctions, choosing instead to negotiate tighter reserves with a 0% BB written in to my contract. I still have a copy of those contracts too. I suspect that leading dealers who often supply coins to the auction houses to keep their auctions full, get 0% BB's too. I haven't consigned to a major auction since 2011. So maybe they do it differently now as major auction is becoming one of the last bastions to get decent prices for your "worthy" coins.

• Options

@alefzero said:
    If it was the property of the auction house and they were manipulating things with no buyback skin in the game, then it would be a racket.

At least one of the major auction houses that engages in the practice DOES consign its own inventory to its auctions occasionally, so there is no way to know whether this is happening or not.

• Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

Read the legalese at the front of the auction catalog. You will find that auction company can do anything they want, other than outright fraud.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am informed and believe that upwards of 50% of the auction lots in some auctions are simply "house lots". I am not stating which company's auction(s), but am confident of the information. Hence, "sell through rates" can be meaningless it appears to me. It has been said here a million times... Work with a skilled dealer in your area of collecting and pay a small fee for the lots won and see much how better off you end up! Just my two cents. Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2017 11:47PM

Some of you folks are making me feel like a real "chump" for selling my items in true auction form, with the assumed faith that an efficient market will dictate the final value and price realized.

I took an occasional bath on some items and wrote it up as just a sale gone south, and the risk of the true auction.

All of that has gone out the window upon reading this thread.
    I can only see things getting worse from here.
    Thanks for the splash of vinegar.

Greed trounces the efficiency of the true market.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

But then again, I might just be a lousy businessman who has fallen behind the curve and had a clearly naive faith in business ethics.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options

Some of what has been written here explains why I really prefer to avoid the auction route to acquire coins if I can. There are so many games behind the scenes that are not known to the bidders.

I have almost never gotten a bargain in an auction. Usually I feel lucky if I get what I view as a fair deal.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reads like an expensive way to keep what a guy doesn't want.

• Options

Well this now has me wondering, we always tell folks to not only go by the PCGS price guide but to look at Heritage Archives to see what current coins are selling for. Now if a consignor can bid on there own coins is it really a true auction?

Can PCGS really use those numbers to adjust there Guide? How many coins were run up by the consignor but were Never really sold? I guess the bottom line is I need to use Heritage when it comes time to sell my coins.

But I will no longer go by there Archives to see what a coin sold for recently as my experience has now proven those are more than likely not true auctions....if a consignor bids on his own coin AND wins than there should be NO sale posted but as I have now seen it shows the coin sold for 763 when in reality it did not......

Enjoy Tom

https://pcgs.com/SetRegistry/mysetregistry/set/78469

Link to My Registry Set.

• Options

Sometimes you just have a buy a coin at auction. It just doesn't show up at the shows, and of late the pickings have been really sparse at the bourse tables.

Doug Winter wrote an article about how a lot of the trading going on before the shows begin. Dealers buy up the best stuff for their want lists, and collectors, like me, never get to see the better material. There certainly seems to be a lot of truth in that. The retail market can't be totally filled with "dreck." You go to the shows and for some dealers all you see are the same "C quality" overpriced coins, show after show.

• Options
    BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭

@nwcoast said:
    Some of you folks are making me feel like a real "chump" for selling my items in true auction form, with the assumed faith that an efficient market will dictate the final value and price realized.

I took an occasional bath on some items and wrote it up as just a sale gone south, and the risk of the true auction.

All of that has gone out the window upon reading this thread.
    I can only see things getting worse from here.
    Thanks for the splash of vinegar.

Greed trounces the efficiency of the true market.

Add me to your camp.

I felt I was doing well with my first auction consignment (125K) with the 105% hammer that they offered.
    Put no reserves or ever talked about buy backs

Did alright save one $7K coin that sold for $4K

Someone suggested I talk to Mark Feld who even tough an employee of Heritage can give me a little more education on the whole auction system.

I want to believe in a true auction but I guess I want to believe in Santa

• Options
    BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭

Lest not forget that a 763.50 result was a 650 hammer price so only $650 (plus any negotiated deal) went to the seller.
    If he has no discount on BB

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Reads like an expensive way to keep what a guy doesn't want.

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting insights into the auction process .... Tommy: call the consigning dealer and
    ask why he ended up getting his coin back ?

I'm not a newbie to the auction scene - but - the only time I can bid on my own things
    is in person at the auction.... If it's an Internet only auction , I can't bid at all, unless I use
    a dummy account ( which I do not have or have ever used ). To receive anything above
    hammer price, I have had to agree to a No Reserve policy. If the coin has a reserve and doesn't
    sell, I am obligated to pay the house their commission (less my pay back amount) . { Which
    still equates to 12%}.

Tommy, good luck !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Thanks Mike, Mitch suggested the same thing but I have sat here for the past 2 days wondering how do I ask him with out offending him? Should I say that I was the under bidder and wondering how the coin ended up back on your site?

This dealer knows I was interested in the coin and when we last talked he offered to pull the coin from heritage if I was interested. Of course I wanted to just bid on the coin and see where it went. So now if I send him a note trying to ask nicely how the coin ended up back on his site do you think he is going to be happy and reply?

I just think he is going to know that I was the under bidder and wondering why the coin is back on his site is really none of my business. At this point I just do not see any good from me asking him nicely how a coin he consigned is back on his site.....Will have to give this more thought today........Thanks everyone for the input.............Tom

Link to My Registry Set.

• Options

Sending you a PM, Tommy....

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2017 10:26AM

@BIGAL2749 said:

Add me to your camp.

I felt I was doing well with my first auction consignment (125K) with the 105% hammer that they offered.
    Put no reserves or ever talked about buy backs

Did alright save one $7K coin that sold for $4K

Someone suggested I talk to Mark Feld who even tough an employee of Heritage can give me a little more education on the whole auction system.

I want to believe in a true auction but I guess I want to believe in Santa

105% rate is not bad under the new 17.5% buyer's fee regime. That's a net 89.36% going to you. And congrats on not being one of those guys who think the "buyer" really pays the "buyer's fee." Getting 89-91% net is pretty typical for a $50K or better consignment. If you worked with Heritage, from my experiences they are tougher to get a higher rate out of than S/B. It's a trade-off to Heritage's increased audience vs. getting a higher net rate at S/B. It's also true that $125K in 100-200 items could be a ton of work for the auction house. If you had only 10-30 items I'd expect a considerably stronger rate. If your stuff was fresh and desirable like what Bill Jones looks for, then setting reserves or buy backs may not mean a thing. Those coins almost always do well in the market. In the end, it only matters how well your coins sold.

Maybe you could have pulled a 91% net rate (107% hammer) though on a $125K consignment we're talking $2K-$3K more, that could be easily frittered away in a poor venue or time of year. I'd rather have a prime venue at the 105% rate than a secondary or weaker venue at say 107%. That would be like putting your coins in the Jan FUN show vs. say a winter ANA show in Portland, Oregon. In the end, you just want the best results which means a lot of careful thought on which coast/city could be best, the importance of the attached show (if any), time of year, market strength, market liquidity, etc. Lots of factors to consider. And in the end, maybe not more than a "best guess." The auction house just wants to move the coins and get their cut. It's the consignor that has to say "woah"....slow it down.... let me figure out what's best for me. At my last Heritage sale I sacrificed a weaker net rate for optimum location, time of year, venue, and how/where the coins would appear in the Platinum night catalog. I also agreed to set very tight reserves which was also risky as I didn't want to see them sold for minimal money only to later be marked up by 20-30% in a dealer's inventory. In the end, that was the right choice for me as they fetched 2X total reserve prices in stiff competition and went directly to a long time collector. It still comes down to throwing the dice.

• Options

Roadrunner - you hit the nail on the head. The auction houses only care about one thing - bring in consignments -
    sell them asap -make money and move on.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only bargains I ever got on coins at auction were mostly sub par coins . Maybe Heritage could weight in and help us understand their auctions better.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file