Home U.S. Coin Forum

Seated Quarters - Help Identifying Dates

NeoStarNeoStar Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭
edited February 25, 2017 8:47AM in U.S. Coin Forum

These two Seated Liberty Quarters have holes punched through their dates. I am not as knowledgeable in this area as some of the folks here and I was wondering if I could get some help figuring out the dates on these pieces.

Coin A:
photo 1xx3 Lis.jpg

I believe the piece shown above is an 1873 Seated Quarter since it doesn't have arrows (1873-1874). The one below I believe is and 1843 Seated Quarter since the "3" on the date is flat on the top.

Coin B:
photo 18x3 Lis.jpg

Comments

• NeoStarNeoStar Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2017 8:49AM

Sorry, trying to figure out the new forum software. It has been a while.

Alright, I figured it out. Sorry.

Coin A:
    photo 1xx3 Lis.jpg

Coin B:
    photo 18x3 Lis.jpg

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2017 8:52AM

Your links are no good. When using photobucket use the HTML link for posting here on the forum

photo 1xx3 Lis.jpg

The one above as a 1873 with Arrows (since there are no rays on the reverse, but there are arrows on the obverse)

photo 18x3 Lis.jpg

The one above is a 1843 (since there is no motto above the eagle) (good point on the flat top 3)

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

Yeah, sorry. Just figured it out. I haven't posted since they changed the software. Thank you for the "how-to".

• rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭✭✭

First one is 1873: It has arrows at date, and the reverse has the motto.

Second one has a date that ends in "3" and has an "O" mintmark, but we can rule out 1853-O because there are no arrows and rays. Therefore, it is an 1843-o.

Sweet! Thank you for your help!

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

1843-0 small o - the commoner of the 2 sized mint marks. If a large O that probably would have been worth $35-$75 in that condition. I'm often surprised by how many low grade 1843-0's managed to survive....yet so few in XF45 to UNC.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭✭✭

@roadrunner said:
    If a large O that probably would have been worth $35-$75 in that condition.

If I'm not mistaken, that example is already worth more than $35-$75. And I'm pretty sure that the OP knows it, considering the way he oriented the two pieces and the fact that he posted them together...

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... such a shame.... I know some collect holed coins...and I know many reasons people put holes in coins, however, the collector in me always feels pain when I see it.....and, I will not buy one. Love tokens are different - at least to me - do not ask me to explain that... :D I cannot. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file