Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Japanese Dansco-Type Album - anybody know anything about it?

More than 10 years ago, I obtained a Japanese type coin album that resembles Dansco-type albums (via Ebay) from a gentleman in Japan. I have been using it for parts of my Japanese coin collection.
I have posted some photos of the album holder, the cover and one of its five pages. I would like to know a little more about the album itself. Can anybody shed any light on it? For example, can anyone translate the word(s) on the cover and holder?

Thanks to all.

Comments

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2017 2:58PM

The cover says Japan {something} Coin Album. The {something} is 2 kanji that I don't know.

I suspect it's a Dansco knock-off made in Japan.

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2017 7:54PM

Google Translate allowed me to draw the characters, so I was able to translate them.

The title is "Modern Japanese Coin Album."

In this case, modern means the Meiji period and newer (i.e. 1870-present).

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool album! There is a google translate app that lets you take a photo of something and will translate---it may work on the album pages too.

• SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

Cool for sure! A few of us have the Japanese Dansco type set album, so maybe the holes are identical to that. Cathy (stork) would be the right person to compare the two.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • toyonakatarotoyonakataro Posts: 407 ✭✭✭

Those coin albums were polupar back in 1970's and 80s when collecting coins were still popular in Japan.
    I myself own an album although mine is not "modern type" but "current date" whitch start from 1948 and ends in 1986. I obviously bought mine prior to 1986 when I was still young. I bought mine at a local stationers.

I don't know if someone still are making these albums, but I don't see them at a show show or a coin shop anymore.