Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What will the hobby be like in 2030 and what will these cards be worth?

55 Clemente PSA 8
54 Aaron PSA 8
52 Mantle PSA 8
51 Mays PSA 8
68 Ryan PSA 9

The Crisser

Comments

• Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

Dont know about those, but my 1988 Donruss Set will still be about $2

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options

tree fiddy

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    OddRodzOddRodz Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

Only Klaus knows for sure. Ask him.

• Options

The consensus here:

Collecting RC's (mostly 40-60's)
  • Options
    GrimsterGrimster Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

Forgeries of not only cards, but slabs as well will be rampant of high end cards. Will be interesting to see how PSA, BGS and SGC adapt. I also think digital cards will be much more popular

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mtcards said:

At least it will have retained it's "value". So % wise it may be a better investment than having a set valued now at $100, then drops to $50 losing 50%. ;)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

Baseball been berry berry good to me.

• Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

I think the younger generation will not be purists and be totally OK with sheetcut Beckett

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

Those will be fine. The ones that will suffer will be high grade rookies of sutter, eck, Fisk etc.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    OddRodzOddRodz Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

Holy Craptastic !! Have not seen that in 20 years. It actually had cult following greatness back in the day. Mesmerizing B)

• Options
    purduepetepurduepete Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

@travis t said:
    Baseball been berry berry good to me.

My avatar agrees

Tom

Collecting: Topps 1952-79, Bowman 1952-55, OPC 1965-71, and Pre-War White Sox cards
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

I predict that at some point people will begin selling the rights to their certification numbers w/o ownership transfer of the actual physical card, and that there will be a surprising amount of registry participants who buy into that idea.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

If any of us can predict the future, my bet is we wouldn't be investing in sports cards.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2017 8:02PM

@LarkinCollector said:
    If any of us can predict the future, my bet is we wouldn't be investing in sports cards.

I'll take the Jets to win the 2035 Super Bowl with Peyton Manning's son at starting QB.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    AstrodomeAstrodome Posts: 35
    edited February 23, 2017 8:11PM

May take longer than that, but extrapolate from where we are and a lot of collectibles categories could be destroyed by advancing tech and near-perfect fakes. Maybe harder with older stuff, but newer may be easier. They're going to have to come up with something better than plastic cases to counter this. Call me paranoid or an alarmist, but if I'm putting time and money into something, I tend to be so.

• Options

I wouldn't want guess at values for the 5 cards that the OP listed, but they'll probably be fine. Those are iconic rookie cards. The bigger concern I have is what happens when the Baby Boom generation gets tired of collecting cards and/or some members of that generation inevitably die and pass on unwanted collections to heirs, whose interest in cards goes no further than how much money they can get for them. (And how quickly it can be done!)

I was born in the latter part of Generation X, and my prime youth collecting years were from 1984-1989. Would I be interested someday in a 1954 Aaron or 1952 Mantle? Sure, those are iconic cards. But what about a 1962 Aaron or 1964 Mantle? In all honesty, I don't care at all about those cards. Aaron and Mantle were not the stars of my youth. I want to collect the stars of my youth, not someone else's. I'd rather have another Jordan or Gretzky or Marino or (you get the idea). Yes, I'd rather have an 18th Rickey Henderson rookie than I would want any 1960s Mantle. It's just human nature. Just like most youngsters today would much rather have 30 Kris Bryant cards than any Ryne Sandberg or Ernie Banks cards.

I'm overgeneralizing, of course, but this generally holds true. Once the Baby Boomers start divesting collections, while the iconic cards will likely still find new homes at good prices, the majority of stuff will weaken, and some by quite a bit.

• Options

In 2030 my guess is there will be 1,000,000 autographed Bryce Harper and Kris Bryant Topps cards.

#CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

Which response is better:

1) Ask VintagemanEd? or;

2) Are you channelling VintagemanEd?

The cards mentioned will do just fine. As long as general interest in baseball does not fall off a cliff, there will be enough new collectors that have a historical interest in the game to drive demand for hall of famers. The market for mid-to-low grade commons would be my guess as most likely to soften. The demand driven by nostalgic desire for complete sets (40-65 year olds remembering ages 8 to 15) will continue to shift forward.

• Options
    AlbertdiditAlbertdidit Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

@mtcards said:

Maybe by 2030 all the 88 Donruss and Topps cards can be recycled and will save the earth somehow. They might wind up being the most valuable commodity in history

• Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

@CrissCriss said:
    55 Clemente PSA 8
    54 Aaron PSA 8
    52 Mantle PSA 8
    51 Mays PSA 8
    68 Ryan PSA 9

They'll be worth million$ each.

Unfortunately, due to the disaster of the Trump administration, a million dollars in 2030 will be the 2017 equivalent of $5.23.

• Options
    muffinsmuffins Posts: 469 ✭✭✭

combined total will equal: 38.6789 hotdogs*

*depending on the strength of the yen.

• Options

@mlbfan2 said:

@CrissCriss said:
    55 Clemente PSA 8
    54 Aaron PSA 8
    52 Mantle PSA 8
    51 Mays PSA 8
    68 Ryan PSA 9

They'll be worth million$ each.

Unfortunately, due to the disaster of the Trump administration, a million dollars in 2030 will be the 2017 equivalent of $5.23.

Trump is supposedly a financial backer of some of the "buyers group " Card investing will be just fine. There certainly won't be any regulatory scrutiny for the next several years

On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2017 5:31PM

Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on who's selling them, now and later. Regular joe vs consignment / auction house. Seller dependent.

• Options

I would sell them all now and invest in pre 80's unopened packs and boxes ! There will always be a low supply and high demand with those.
    Plus in the future, cardboard singles will no longer be manufactured. There will only be holographic images of your favorite players with who knows what kind of special inserts?!?
    Sadly, I'll be dead.

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

I'll miss you. :(

• Options

Awwww, thanks. :)

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bowman gains in popularity and gets on par with Topps of the same year as a generation of collectors who are used to the Bowman card being the most disrable gravitate to Vintage in their peak earning years. If I could only afford to stockpile '51 Mantles!!!

• Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

Given that 2030 is only 13 years away(!), I expect that values on these cards will trend ahead of other cards, value-wise, from the 1950s and 1960s. Generation X, possibly the last generation with a significant number of card collectors relative to the next, will be at maximum earnings potential around this time.

Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options

I believe Low Pop cards of the 50s and 60s of the likes of Mantle, Aaron, Mays and Clemente will stay on the rise. Even tho the kids that watched them play will mostly be gone, anyway to make money will always be relevant. Look at the old cards of Ruth, Cobb, Gehrig etc they continue to be immensely popular and prices rise even tho pretty much nobody is alive today that saw them play

• Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭

I recently asked myself the first part of this question, and the responses from KnightRider and esquiresports reinforce what I was thinking - which is that the market, over time, for anything other the iconic stuff, will soften, perhaps considerably so. Like anything else, card values are all about supply/demand. Here was my thinking, none of which bodes well for card prices in the long term:

1. Baby Boomers are now reaching retirement age. As they retire, they will more likely to be selling cards, not buying them. This both increases supply and decreases demand.
    2. As esquire points out, the number of kids into collecting diminishes with every generation, and these kids are less likely to buying pre-1990 or even pre-2000. This decreases future demand.
    3. As time goes on, more cards are graded. Cards that are low pop now, will be "more pop" in the future. This increases supply.
    4. Anyone with a keen grasp of economics knows that a day of reckoning is coming that will make the 2008 financial crisis look like a drop in the bucket. This will DRASTICALLY reduce demand, as people's discretionary income goes towards $0.

All that being said, collecting is a fantastic hobby that is enjoyed by thousands (millions?), and the Registry is about as addicting as it gets. This can carry the hobby for a while. I've thoroughly enjoyed collecting for 30+ years, but for the reasons outlined above (particularly #4), I decided to start liquidating my collection and start buying gold and silver coins. While not nearly as fun as collecting cards, in my opinion, precious metals are a much safer bet to be worth considerably more in 15-20 years than graded cards will be.

Even though I am just about "out of the game", I still love coming to these boards and looking at the cards in everyone's posts. The collector in me will always be curious about what is going on in the hobby, but I guess I'll just have to live vicariously through everyone here. Cheers!

• Options
    muffinsmuffins Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2017 10:17AM

@esquiresports said:
    Generation X, possibly the last generation with a significant number of card collectors relative to the next, will be at maximum earnings potential around this time.

two things needed to be accounted for in this discussion. variable change and the definition or boundaries of the word "cards".

if we are just talking sports cards, then that takes the discussion in one direction.

however, if we are talking cards in general or as a whole when accounting for cardboard such as gpk, pokémon, & mtg for instance, then there's still a few more generations of collectors out there. just look at some of the prices these cards are commanding these days.

after all "sports" cards only account for a very small percentage of the total amount of pre-war cards that were produced. no statitstical data whatsoever, but id venture to say less than 1%, maybe?

sports cards simply became the most popular. that tide could shift. which brings us back to variable change...