Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Nicely Toned 1883 Seated Liberty Dime NEWP

KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 23, 2017 12:38AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Here's a recent NEWP I wanted to show off and get your grade opinions on. It'll be going out to PCGS eventually, and I will update the thread when it gets back.

Thanks again to @FadeToBlack for the pictures!

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover

Comments

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmmm...I don't know about the tone of this one.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin appears to have a good strike without any obvious surface defects....the terminal tarnish is not attractive though... well, to me anyway. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a dark photo of an MS65 coin with toning that is possibly very attractive in-hand. Some people will change their tune once they see a TrueView image of the same coin, so I'd suggest getting a TrueView when you send it in. Ricko will still not like it, as he is a fan of untoned silver coins. :)

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wasn't insulting your picture, by the way. It just looks a little dark on my monitor and I happen to think that people take images a little too seriously when they judge coins on a computer screen. FWIW, it would look a lot worse if I photographed it.

• Options
    jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the coin and the toning!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like! MS63 is my guess.

• Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭

I love the coin the reverse greens and dark orange tell me a lot about originality. Great coin that I would not buy with grade in mind. I think its MS64 reg PCGS slab.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2017 10:07AM

Decent looking MS65 coin. Can't speak to the originality of the toning from those photos.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

Here's a cell phone shot showing the reverse toning.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why I always say cell phone shots are the best way to judge a coin! Lovely toning. Can you also shoot the front?

• Options

Then remove a little of the glare and colors are very nice. I would buy your coin based on your own shot before I would buy it from the above or a trueview.

• Options

@Wabbit2313 said:
    Then remove a little of the glare and colors are very nice. I would buy your coin based on your own shot before I would buy it from the above or a trueview.

I should have mentioned that these are cell phone shots that @FadeToBlack took - Not me. Here is the obverse,

• Options

Nice coin!

-

• Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

I am not a fan of the dark toning, but nice coin. I'm curious about the colors though, they look a little suspicious.

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looked like a winner from the sellers pics, and it is!

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options

Thanks!

• Options

This one is going to PCGS in a group submission. I'll either update this thread with the grade when it's back or start a new one with the TrueView.

• Options
    DancingFireDancingFire Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

A 65 coin...no comment on the toning.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file