Home U.S. Coin Forum

Oversized GSA Morgan Holder

KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm considering submitting a GSA CC Morgan Dollar I got way back when they were first offered. There are two choices to make:
1) Encapsulate the original GSA holder in an oversized PCGS holder. Or...
2) Have a normal PCGS holder with the GSA origin noted on the label.
https://pcgs.com/news/pcgs-encapsulates-gsa-hoard-silver-dollar
There is a $20 charge for the oversized holder but that isn't the over riding factor. Nor is the larger size than a normal holder. What concerns me is any affect on value either choice would have. Looking at dealer's web pages I don't really see the oversized holders that much. It would seem the second choice is a more common one.
What have you done if you had one graded and slabbed? Which would you prefer if you were in the market to buy one?

Comments

• CCDollarCCDollar Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I see GSA or Redfield on a slab label it means nothing to me...I want them in their original holder. Just my two cents....
    CC

Nickel Triumph...My Led Zepps
  • TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭

NGC graded GSA's bring more money at auction than PCGS graded ones. I am not doing anything other than reporting the facts as I find them in auction results I look at.

Also the NGC graded GSA's fit in the original boxes

One last thing. DO NOT BREAK IT OUT

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

CCDollar:
    You prefer un-graded in the original GSA holder?

Toneddollars:
    I don't consider self break out as an option. Does ATS offer an oversized holder? And are you saying their holder will fit their slab box sideways? Or in the original GSA box?

• stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me personally I wouldn't have a original GSA graded. But if I did I would probably go with the over-sized PCGS holder as I kinda like the looks of them. NGC puts a band around the original GSA holder with their name and grade. So I guess they still fit in the original box.

As far as it getting cracked out by whoever, and then put in a regular slab graded. That would not be an option for me. To me it just ends up being a regular CC Morgan dollar in a regular slab. Hope this helps.

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would leave it in the original holder, thus having PCGS grade it in the oversized slab.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• CCDollarCCDollar Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭✭

You should grade it by how it fits into your collection. If you simply want a grade you can not beat NCG...they seem to be quite accurate and fit in the original box and sell good (as said above). If you need the PCGS grade for the registry go with PCGS. Or...Go with NGC for the GSA and purchase a nice slabbed CC dollar for the registry...that's been my objective. They don't make GSA's anymore...Don't take it out of it's tomb. Again...Just my two cents...have fun...
    CC

Nickel Triumph...My Led Zepps
  • MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

GSA dollars just do better in NGC slabs, that is how it is. NGC has a sticker going across the bottom so it still fits in the box and is much better than the PCGS tomb.

Did not intend for you to break it out. Just do not release it from its original government holder as its worth more in the original holder regardless of who grades it. My point was if it was mine, I would have it graded by NGC

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS was way too late in grading in the slabs and NGC is just the most recognized and would be my choice. (sorry PCGS)
    bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for all the advice. It would be my first and only NGC but i can see the reasoning to go with them. I'm assembling a Classic set, all PCGS (except this GSA CC Morgan), AU 50 or greater. Just got an 1881 CC in MS64 PCGS so I'm covered there. I also wanted an 1881Morgan Mint set (CC, P, O, S) included in the type set.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just keep mine in the original holders.... They look good that way. Cheers, RickO

• dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭

To me it depends on the coin. If it is a common date and common coin, then there is not much difference between the two options being consider. Go with the cheaper option. If it is a better date or higher grade then paying more for the holder makes sense. Even with all of the prior break outs, there are more common date cc's in original holders than demand.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file