Home U.S. Coin Forum

Feuchtwanger 3c Eagle MS64

DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not mine, but here is a Feuchtwanger's composition 3c from a recent auction for discussion. Very rare. Sold for $11,750.
It is my understanding that this was one of the last attempts by Dr. Feuchtwanger to get the US government to use his german silver alloy in commerce. Minted during the civil war, the 1864 date adds a coolness factor as I believe the use of private coinage was deemed illegal in this same year. (The overwhelming majority of civil war tokens bear the date 1863.) Most of his tokens are from the Hard Times era and are catalogued as such.
Just a beautiful specimen and design. Congrats to the collector who ponied up for this one. I wonder if he/she is a member? @ambro51?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
"Coin collecting for outcasts..."

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... super nice specimen.... very impressive. Cheers, RickO

• MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very beautiful specimen! I've owned many others, but never this type.

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look at the strike on that one. even the scales on the snake are sharp.

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent example of a rare token and promotional piece for a coinage alloy. The following letter explains the likely reason Feuchtwanger had the 1864-date samples struck, and why they are so scarce - few were made. It's also clear that the Mint had no interest in the NY dentist's patent alloy. I hope the document is readable.

The letter is from NARA archives and the transcription was made by one of the volunteers mentioned in another post. (Thank you, volunteers!)

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

A: Gorgeous specimen!

B: Pollack certainly seems to have been in love with Holmes, Booth and Haydens. I wonder if he got a nice Christmas card (or more?) from them each year.

I also wonder what else H,B&H was making in a 25% nickel/75% copper alloy, which Pollack says they have had large experience in the manufacture of. It certainly was not U.S. coin planchets, as the previous U.S. CU-NI coins had been in a 12/88 alloy.

TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

I wasn't outbid in this coin. Hoped it would sell for under $8k :(

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

This auction was strong. I didnt bid on the Feuchtwanger, but I was surprised that my max bids on other pieces (which were placed in the last minute of bidding and were double current bid) were immediately outbid by someone else. Some of these went double, triple the high estimates.
    Anyway, I hope someone here who appreciates Feuchtwangers like our friend ambro51 got it. Seem to recall him having one, though. Is this his, and he's selling?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sold mine direct to JA at CAC. It looked better than that one. I made the H U G E mistake of submitting my JMP counter stamp piece to PCGS where they put it in a details holder and I took an 80% slaughtering hit on its value when it sold. That FOREVER changed my mind on coin collecting. That is WHY I have pretty much turned my back on coins.

• NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice rarer Feuchtwanger.

• jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

ambro51 -- wondering why didn't you crack out your counter stamped piece and sell it raw? ...or re-submit across the street? ...sorry for your loss...

Beautiful coin in the OP...thanks for posting!!!

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mercurydimeguy said:

Is that a roundabout way of saying you won it?

• mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

My bad I "was" outbid. Sorry about typo ...> @pruebas said:

@mercurydimeguy said:

Is that a roundabout way of saying you won it?

My bad. I "was" outbid ... sorry about typo.

Yeah. Only I let Stacks handle the sub. They Never told me. They botched the ad. They never mentioned it was counted stamped. They let me down on all fronts and totally destroyed my serious interest in coin collecting. I just stand on the sidelines and occasionally comment on this board. But, that botching of my consignment on several levels resulted in one less collector.

• stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ambro51 said:
    Yeah. Only I let Stacks handle the sub. They Never told me. They botched the ad. They never mentioned it was counted stamped. They let me down on all fronts and totally destroyed my serious interest in coin collecting. I just stand on the sidelines and occasionally comment on this board. But, that botching of my consignment on several levels resulted in one less collector.

i am sorry you had a really bad experience. that sucks.

-however-

you are giving stacks too much power. they don't care about this incident as much as you do. you should not let their mistake ruin your pursuits!

take that power back...let us learn from this mistake so that other collectors don't get burned like you did. that's the only way to fight back.

you have a good eye for coins and you should keep collecting

No. I'm through.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool coin!

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2017 12:39PM

@ambro51 said:
    No. I'm through.

This is depressing. When I think of @ambro51 I think of Vermont colonials, Canadian Blacksmith tokens, and Feuchtwangers. I think of a passionate collector always posting interesting stuff and seemingly always one step away from a numismatic breakthrough.

I sincerely hope you dont quit. We have all had bad experiences with auction houses.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ambro51 said:

I'm sorry to hear.
    They're currently looking at my 1913 nickel. I hope they get it right........

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file