Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A Shield Nickel Mystery?

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 22, 2017 2:25PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I'm trying to finagle my scope to get at the right angle to determine what in the heck is the date on this old Shield Nickel? Can you guys help me? To me, it looks as if it's a "1876". Does anyone agree? At least by this angle?

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does it really matter in that grade? B)

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wider shot?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like 1876 to me...other than a hole filler, probably not much to look at.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

This is my point. Now if we determine it is a 1876. PCGS Price guide has it listed for $45 in a 4. How much do you think mine would be worth?

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    Schmitz7Schmitz7 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

There are several on EBay with clear dates with no bids at way less than $45. There is also a nice one at 99 cents with no bids so far. There are dealers that buy ones similar to yours at $4-$5 each.

• Options
    edited February 17, 2017 9:28PM

ok thanks. So this would be a story similar to a " No-date Buffalo" right?
    Either Acid treated or the 1913 Type 1, without the date.

• Options
    TrazTraz Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like 1876 to me

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

I sure am not a fan of the acid treatment. In my mind all that does is destroy the coin. But the each his own.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2017 11:27PM

@crazyhounddog said:

@joeykoins said:

I sure am not a fan of the acid treatment. In my mind all that does is destroy the coin. But the each his own.

True, but without a date it was worthless anyway right?

Edit: Maybe worthless isn't the right word... worth whatever a cull buffalo is worth

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

It would help if you posted photos of the entire coin (both sides). Hub designs can be used to determine the range of possible dates. If this is an 1876, the date would have to be punched far to the left. Not impossible, but as best I can tell it's an 1867. Again, more photos would help a lot.

• Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2017 5:59AM

@joeykoins said:
    I've had this coin for at least 7 yrs. without knowing what date was on it. I looked through the strongest loupe too. Until I got this cheap $15.55 Scope, I'm exploring coins I never had imagined in the past 10-15 Years.
    And other wild things as well. Like bugs close-up! LOL

**Awesome !!! **

Keep looking, please do not let anyone discourage your enthusiasm for numismatics. If you are having fun you are doing it right :)

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It does look like a '76.....though I also see a possible '78....more likely a 6 though.... show the whole coin for more input....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited February 18, 2017 9:13AM

@ricko said:
    It does look like a '76.....though I also see a possible '78....more likely a 6 though.... show the whole coin for more input....Cheers, RickO

Thanks RickO, but there are no '78's. Maybe, it will be a first and you and I can claim it? :D

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

:D:D Of course, you are correct... I did not even think about that... was just looking at the picture trying to decipher what was there.... :D Thanks for pointing that out...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not an 1876. That clear "6" is next to the ball of the shield, so it is the third digit of the date.
    TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

Oh? Thanks

• Options

I agree with howards and CaptHenway - 186x, probably 1867. As howards said, a picture of the reverse would narrow down the date range - different hubs were used at different times. The relationships between the stars and USA will tell you which hub.

Thanks,
    Bill
    Witty quote goes here

• Options

Cool! Let me get home to retake some photo's. Thank you, guys. You ROCK!

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

@joeykoins said:

Thanks RickO, but there are no '78's. Maybe, it will be a first and you and I can claim it? :D

There are 1878's, but it was a proof-only year.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    This is my point. Now if we determine it is a 1876. PCGS Price guide has it listed for $45 in a 4. How much do you think mine would be worth?

somewhere near 50-75 cents, and you do not even need to know the date, call it cull

• Options

Are photos coming or should I stop checking this thread?

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

It looks like 1876 to me - but maybe could be 1870?

• Options

I took another look at the image and went through a couple of "enhancements" and it appears to be a 1867...today.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

@howards said:
    Are photos coming or should I stop checking this thread?

Sorry, I'll try to post later, thank you!

• Options

There. I reshot some photos you guys requested. Thanks

Better, I hope? To me, that last digit does look as if it is a "7"?

• Options

Based on the reverse hub, the only possible choices are 1867, 1868, and 1869. Based on the earlier photos, 1867 seems most likely.

• Options

Thank you, for rechecking.

• Options

Your shield nickel is in better shape than mine. I should get some pics of the other side. I know it has no rays. This is from my grandfather's collection, which includes many foreign coins, and for a long time I didn't think that this was a US coin -- it's so worn that I couldn't tell until I had really inspected it.

• Options

@David1940 said:
    Your shield nickel is in better shape than mine. I should get some pics of the other side. I know it has no rays. This is from my grandfather's collection, which includes many foreign coins, and for a long time I didn't think that this was a US coin -- it's so worn that I couldn't tell until I had really inspected it.

@David1940 said:

Don't give up hope! Believe me, If you really want to find out what your coin is, I would get yourself a Scope with a 500x Magnification! Be careful though, some can really be pricey. You won't believe the pics that come out. I got a great deal on mine. Only $15.55. Good luck

• Options

Oh, I forgot to greet you! Welcome To School! I say school because you'll be taught in many areas other than just coins. Example: You'll be taught in ethics, manners and in business. You came to the right place too. This Forum is pretty knowledgeable. We here, can just about answer any question that gets thrown at us, almost any question. Remember, post often and don't be a stranger. The most important thing is to always have FUN! Once again, Welcome to our Forum. -joey :)

• Options
    David1940David1940 Posts: 64 ✭✭

When you say "scope", do you mean "microscope?" Like one of these?

• Options

No...although I used to have a similar one...back in the day. I am certain that an USB microscope is being referred to. I have a Dino-Lite (these can be expensive) but similar less expensive microscopes can be found easily.

https://www.google.com/search?q=usb+microscope&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwifpMSJ2OfSAhVK4oMKHYaXA9EQ_AUIBSgA&biw=1280&bih=893&dpr=1#spf=1

• Options
    edited March 21, 2017 10:32AM

Yes, you are correct, John. I do have the Dyno type scope. I got the deal of a lifetime! Through the word from a member, I only end up paying a total of $15.55! I should of bought 10. LOL :D

• Options
    David1940David1940 Posts: 64 ✭✭
    edited April 18, 2017 7:33AM

Here is my shield nickel date with the scope. Looks to me like the date is completely worn off.

• Options
    basetsbbasetsb Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭

You could use acid on the date. It doesn't appear to have much numismatic value anyway.

@basetsb_coins on Instagram

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file