Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Well it may be wise to avoid alcohol and coin auctions! Got my first drunk coin.

2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭

Apparently decided to drink and browse the heritage auctions... placed a bid on a buffalo nickel struck on cent...

Found out I won it tonight...

Damn.

You think I will get hosed on it?

WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!

Comments

• Options

Lot 4863

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2017 8:03PM

Damn yo, You musta been drunk to bid on such an unusual coin. That's a lot for an AG 3 Buffalo Nickel error. LOL But errors can bring mucho dinero, so maybe you'll end up OK? It's got that cool factor, nonetheless.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even if not drunk I have gotten carried away at auctions with Robin Leach style auctioneers. Sit on your hands.

• Options

Ha.

I will admit I had been browsing errors for a while, and have quite a few off-metals and double denominations.

This one I saw a few weeks back, maybe it struck a cord or something.

It's a low ball for sure. But definitely a neat coin.

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, you won't find an example of the off-metal much cheaper. The only other example with a similar price that I could find in a quick HA search, sold in 2000. And it ended up also being your coin!
    Feb. 2017
    Feb. 2000

• Options

@GoldenEgg said:
    Well, you won't find an example of the off-metal much cheaper. The only other example with a similar price that I could find in a quick HA search, sold in 2000. And it ended up also being your coin!
    Feb. 2017
    Feb. 2000

Talk about a down grade...

Wonder if I can crack it out and wear it down to a poor 1.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yuuuup. Been there, done that, got the shirt.

More like been there, done that, lost the shirt but got the coin....

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

@Lakesammman said:
    Have posted before but fun repeating.....

Boiler78 and I while having a few beers decided to partner a coin - seemed like a good idea at the bar.

The next AM, seemed like an odd idea and we decided I should own the coin.

After doubling the money later on Boiler decided being a partner might have been a good idea! :lol:

Wow! Good times no doubt.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never done what you did. But I sure hope it works out fur ya. A buffalo nickel struck on a copper cent planchet couldn't be all that terrible, could it?

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2ltdjorn said:
    Apparently decided to drink and browse the heritage auctions... placed a bid on a buffalo nickel struck on cent...

Damn.

@BryceM said:
    I've done dumb bidding things perfectly sober........ things like bidding on non-FBL coins using FBL pricing. Couldn't believe my luck........ that's a face slap moment.

:| I so glad I am not the only one, o:) sort of. I may or may not be guilty of mixing OG and eBay late nights while stalking Jefferson nickel listings.
    I "liked" "agree" and "LOL" several of the posts above

Any one need any pr70 nickels? Lol

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hopefully it will work out.
    I guess there are a lot of worse things you could have done while drunk.......this isn't a biggie.....although that's easy for me to say....it's not my money! :)

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to do a little buzzed Teletrading back in the day.
    Actually ended up making decent money off most of them....funny how that works out sometimes.

• Options

@crazyhounddog said:
    I've never done what you did. But I sure hope it works out fur ya. A buffalo nickel struck on a copper cent planchet couldn't be all that terrible, could it?

A welcome addition to the group

• Options
    gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2017 8:01AM

Just make sure don't have to chew your arm off to get out from under what it costs you!

• Options
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you install a Blow & go on a pc? I think not. Enjoy your coin. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well... I have been known to indulge in a few glasses of wine from time to time.... however, I stay away from auctions at such times. I used to love sniping on ebay in the last five seconds... and won some great auctions that way. Then, in celebration, I poured the wine.... ;):D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beer goggles always make a coin look better than a loupe or magnifier. :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a lot for an AG 3 Buffalo Nickel error. LOL But errors can bring mucho dinero, so maybe you'll end up OK?

Wouldn't be for a 1916 DDO struck on a cent planchet. Even an AG3 would fetch a pretty penny.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

THC seems to make error coins waaay more cool B)

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

Bid on a 10 and woke up with a 2.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:

@PerryHall said:

Bid on a 10 and woke up with a 2.

...at least you woke up.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

I started with the intent of making a simple observation... Coins do not drink.

After thinking further about the game of quarters we played back in the day, it seems that there was beer that somehow mysteriously vanished. And there were those that suspected and even accused...

Quarters

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    SimpleCollectorSimpleCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm, I think I dropped about 10 bids like that last night....luckily they are cwt’s so I have a feeling of the value, and my track record would say that maybe I will win one, but nonetheless, if I won all, they are within fun money budget and coins that I like...

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only time I did something similar was about 20 years ago after a few beers, booked a trip to Paris for my wife and I. We went, had a great time. No regrets. That ended up being the last trip we took as a childless couple.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SimpleCollector said:
    Hmmm, I think I dropped about 10 bids like that last night....luckily they are cwt’s so I have a feeling of the value, and my track record would say that maybe I will win one, but nonetheless, if I won all, they are within fun money budget and coins that I like...

Come to think of it, I did the same thing with CWT's about 15 or so years ago (I was blitzed). Ended up with a pile of them. It took a while, but they eventually all sold.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2ltdjorn said:

At the very least you'll get hosed with juice.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sunday dinner, several glasses of wine, or Sunday football in the old days and a six-pack of beer, and coincidentally ;) that is when the major coin auctions end. Timing is everything.

• Options
    BAYOUBENGALBAYOUBENGAL Posts: 97 ✭✭✭

Been there, done that, also what got me my first wife, the coin was MUCH cheaper...and much nicer to look at now...

BAYOUBENGAL
    CFA, LSU AND ANA
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2020 5:18PM

@2ltdjorn said:

Damn.

Sounds like an awesome coin.

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

The seller thanks you. He'll never know how Heritage got those results.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Drunk bidding?
    I have never done it!
    Hic...Hic......Burp!

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2020 7:23AM

That's why the auction companies send those "you have been outbid" notices after the bars close on Saturday night.

Then you have all day Sunday to enjoy your headache and click the refresh button. :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file