Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1872 indian head cent... real or counterfeit?

I have one more to ask about for a friend I have my answer for the 09s I posted and I thank everyone so much. Any opinions on this one

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
HAPPY COLLECTING

Comments

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not the best pics, but the '2' in the date looks funny, and the obverse lettering looks thin and weak, so my guess is counterfeit.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doesn't look good to me either.

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭

Counterfeit without a doubt.

• Options

Not looking good. There is something about the 2 and the reverse lettering.
    If I was offered this for $10 , I would pass!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the above... some of the problem may be the pictures, but it looks bad enough to pass...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 2 don't look good that's for sure. Could it be
    damage?

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't like the look of the date, compared to a genuine example at collector's . com

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

OP and real...close but suspicious. Need to see it in hand.
    Lance.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Regardless of it's authenticity, the coin would not grade due to the rim damage at 5 oclock. No grade equals severely diminished value.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't say for sure from those pictures, but I don't like the piece. From what I can see, I won't buy it.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

_OP and real...close but suspicious. Need to see it in hand.
    Lance.
    _
    Nice photography and comparison of the date, Lance.
    I think it's 'close' because it was made from genuine coin (spark erosion or transfer die copy), but didn't transfer well enough - at least for me.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭✭✭

_ the '2' in the date looks funny, _

Very first thing I noticed."2" looks odd.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file