Home U.S. Coin Forum

**GRADE REVEALED!** My first ever GTG. NOT my coin!! Very pretty1834 CBH up for playing here.

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 19, 2017 3:26PM in U.S. Coin Forum

If anyone gets the grade correct on this coin, I will be amazed.

If you are familiar with this coin, please recuse yourself from playing the guess the grade of the CBH game.

Comments

• PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, nice! I'd say MS65.

• giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in the MS64 camp.

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks 64 to me.Reverse looks 65.

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2017 4:22PM

If not for the stretched stars and capped denticles in places, I'd swear it was a specimen strike/proof. Looks to be a special coin of sorts. Last time I saw something looking like this was an earlier date NGC MS66 CBH from RCNH around 8-12 yrs ago. Warren Mills thought it was possibly a proof. Went up for auction (FUN?) in the MS66 holder and brought Proof money $80K-$90K as I recall. A regular MS66 would have been no more than $12K-$25K. Next time out it was regraded as PF66 or higher and asking price was 6 figures....iirc.

MS66PL though it could be even higher. Very impressive imo. Full mirrors, no sign of field luster. A small series of reed cuts along here lower bust line, suggesting coin to coin contact at the mint, not usually seen on proofs/specimens.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • drddmdrddm Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

@roadrunner said:
    If not for the stretched stars and capped denticles in places, I'd swear it was a specimen strike/proof. Looks to be a special coin of sorts. Last time I saw something looking like this was an earlier date NGC MS66 CBH from RCNH around 8-12 yrs ago. Warren Mills thought it was possibly a proof. Went up for auction (FUN?) and brought Proof money.

MS66PL though it could be even higher. Very impressive imo.

Can't help but think it's a proof with that strike, but not possible with the stars and how they are stretched (was thinking the same thing as roadrunner) and I bet it has mirrored surfaces too.

Going to guess MS64 PL....whatever it is, I want it!!!

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

That thing is beautiful in every way. I'm not so hot at grading these do don't reach though the monitor and slap me. I believe it's a VERY pretty 64. It's just beautiful and I mean that. She is a gorgeous old girl <3 Holds her age well.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't have my Overton book with me but first thought was maybe one of the AB's ?
    Couple tics here and there...lips, garment, but overall she has that look.
    Hope those obverse lines aren't a problem that doesn't show well in pics, but looks all of 65.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • UltraHighReliefUltraHighRelief Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Proof 66?

• drddmdrddm Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 3-4 dots that are seen along her lower bust line I believe are actually remnants of the ejection arm as the coin was released from the coin chamber....thus, showing its MS and NOT a proof, in my opinion.

• BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

NGC MS67

TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

NGC PF67.
    Lance.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@drddm said:

@roadrunner said:
    If not for the stretched stars and capped denticles in places, I'd swear it was a specimen strike/proof. Looks to be a special coin of sorts. Last time I saw something looking like this was an earlier date NGC MS66 CBH from RCNH around 8-12 yrs ago. Warren Mills thought it was possibly a proof. Went up for auction (FUN?) and brought Proof money.

MS66PL though it could be even higher. Very impressive imo.

Can't help but think it's a proof with that strike, but not possible with the stars and how they are stretched (was thinking the same thing as roadrunner) and I bet it has mirrored surfaces too.

Going to guess MS64 PL....whatever it is, I want it!!!

I agree with the remarks about the stretched stars...I'll guess 66+/67

• KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS-66+*

That thing is gorgeous!

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only have one of these, in my type set.
    So I am far from an expert, but I see no rubs or bumps anywhere, really a beautiful half!
    MS67

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

NGC PF-67 O-101 R.7

My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image

@drddm said:
    The 3-4 dots that are seen along her lower bust line I believe are actually remnants of the ejection arm as the coin was released from the coin chamber....thus, showing its MS and NOT a proof, in my opinion.

Interesting theory drddm. They are rather small "dots" without much depth and not with the shovel head or diamond shape of typical reed hits.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

Large date and Large letters...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

edited February 17, 2017 5:49PM

Here is an 1834 on Coinfacts with stretched stars. "estimated grade of PR66". Same die marriage (O.101).
    Lance.

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:
    Here is an 1834 on Coinfacts with stretched stars. "estimated grade of PR66". Same die marriage (O.101).
    Lance.

Wow, gorgeous coin, Lance.

• msch1manmsch1man Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭

@drddm said:

I think that's exactly what they are...in his MB44 catalog, Sheridan Downey writes about the 3 dots as follows:

"They are the footprint of the mechanism used to eject freshly minted specie from the coining chamber. They are often seen on dates in the 1830’s."

My original guess was MS 65 PL, but after seeing Lance's post above, perhaps it is a proof. I'm not an expert, anyone know for sure whether or not the presence of the dots eliminates it from proof possibility?

• BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭

The coin appears to be a proof, and a nice one! Certainly in "gem" grade range.

Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

I can't decide if it is MS or PF, but I'll give it a 67

• NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

I say PR66. One sweet bust half!

• blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am in there proof camp, the fields to me just have the mirrored look, I would guess a 66.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

It does have the sharpness of a proof strike. The eagle is absolutely hammered--razor sharp.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will say 66.... really not sure of PF due to rims/stars..... Cheers, RickO

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2017 11:36AM

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

Should I release the grade tonight or tomorrow night?

• USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tonight!! Lol

"We want the Flory Dories! We want the Flory Dories!". :p

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

PF67

edited February 19, 2017 6:31PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1834-CAPPED-BUST-50C-NGC-PR-67-/201787650185?hash=item2efb7b3089:g:V~8AAOSw-0xYgC2~

You guys blow me away with your coin knowledge.

Great work to all players.

Special kudos to Lance and cameonut2011 who nailed it!!!

• WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:

...Special kudos to Lance and cameonut2011 who nailed it!!!

Not only nailed it. The picture Lance posted is the exact same coin.

This coin was in the Oct 1992 Stack's Starr auction. The catalog includes an interesting 3 page essay on Early American Specimen Proof Coins covering thoughts on the difficulty in defining early proofs vs prooflike.

It doesn't show an author and not sure if it is online somewhere or not. The collection had a large number of Pre 1858 Proof coins including many Bust coins.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

Ha. You are right! I should have noticed.
    Lance.

@lkeigwin said:
    Lance.

A great example of having fun with your coins. I was scratching my head as I viewed your CoinFacts post, Lance.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very special dreamy look to the coin. Thanks for sharing.

edited February 19, 2017 10:25PM

@lkeigwin said:
    Lance.

Nice job Lance. You got it right on day 1. The highest grade CAC has stickered one of these is PF64. The Starr coin was graded no higher than PF66 in 1998. By 2003 the pop report shows PF67's.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice.... I was off a point... must be because it was not my coin... :D Cheers, RickO

@ricko said:
    Very nice.... I was off a point... must be because it was not my coin... :D Cheers, RickO

Good one.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file