Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A short but sweet early Long Beach Show Report - just one coin...

illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 16, 2017 7:46AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Set up day at Long Beach went pretty well other than some heavy traffic through L.A. on the way to the show... more than just the usual. Then there was even more traffic at the loading docks at the convention center where they were only letting a few cars in at a time to unload because of other conventions trying to use the same space at the same time. Fortunately, I was able to get through that quickly to set up the table.

Was able to get the coins in the cases pretty efficiently. Did some dealer to dealer business which is always nice. Also saw several PCGS Registry participants who are given complimentary early bird passes by PCGS which is awesome. Did a few more deals during the rest of the afternoon where some of those Registry participants picked off a few of my nicer new coins. Having that early bird pass and being one of the first to see the coins can certainly pay off.

After locking down the table and getting ready to head out for the evening, needed to stop by the PCGS table to pick up some submission forms. While there I happened to see just one coin all by itself in a display case at their table... just a couple of camera phone shots of a nice $20 Liberty ;)

For those who haven't already seen, PCGS recently graded this awesome 1861 $20 Liberty Double Eagle w/ the Paquet Reverse... one of only two known and this is the finest.

Sorry for the bad pics of the display case, just lots of reflection from the overhead lights and trying to do my best with an old camera phone.

You can see more info on this coin and better photos... and even a video of David Hall talking about the coin at the PCGS page here:

PCGS Article on 1861 $20 Paquet MS67

:+1:

Hope to see some of you at the show!

Mike

Comments

• Options

And here's the PCGS TrueView photo of the coin for those wanting a better look than my camera phone shot :)

• Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome coin! @illini420, thanks for the post and the pictures.

Mark

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your camera shows the luster better...........on my monitor.

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

amazing coin...i hope to see it.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report and thanks for the virtual bourse in your other post :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

Nice! Thanks for the report.

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

the Norweb's lived perhaps 15 miles from where I was born, raised, started in this wonderful Hobby and I still reside not too far away. I imagine the bulk if their fabulous collection was not too far away, either.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lotta great coins out of that collection - wish I had been a rich collector when the auctions occured! :lol:

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin is SOOOO cool. But.....did you notice? They put it in the slab BACKWARDS!

Which, I guess is fine since I just got a city view Thaler with the city on the front of the slab.
    Anyhow, I am in awe of such a historic well preserved piece.
    B)

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

DROOL

Thank you for sharing.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! A spectacular coin.

I'm pretty sure the placement of the reverse on the front of the holder was deliberate on this one. However, they don't do this for the 1937D 3-legged buffalo.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options

Was so busy at the show today I couldn't get away from my table long enough to get pics of any other cool coins at the show. Wanted to check out tradedollarnut's dollar set and the $10 million dollar coin, but just way too much activity at the table today, which is a good thing! Many more people at the show today than the typical Thursday at Long Beach (at least in the last few years). Maybe I'll get a break Friday so I can go look at some of the other great attractions that they bring in to this show.

:+1:

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2017 2:48AM

@sellitstore said:
    Wow! A spectacular coin.

I'm pretty sure the placement of the reverse on the front of the holder was deliberate on this one. However, they don't do this for the 1937D 3-legged buffalo.

also @ topstuf

Interestingly, your mutual observations and comments regarding the reverse being "topside" were the subject of a recent thread to which I contributed. Here is my comment of relevance to the above featured 1861-P Paquet Reverse $20.

"This thread reactivation is timely. Curious how many others noticed that the 1861-P Paquet Reverse $20 featured on David Hall's currently running video clip is displayed Reverse Up in its new PCGS holder. (It was also displayed Reverse Up in it former NGC holder as well.) To see the coin as it was previously slabbed by NGC head to this link:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/975923/the-exciting-1861-paquet-reverse-twenty-dollar-liberties-again-in-the-news#latest

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you're going to take a pic and talk about one coin..........you chose wisely.
    I guess I haven't kept up with the news on this coin but now I'm up to speed.
    Thanks for the report.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report and the great pictures of a super gold coin.... that is just awesome. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file