Home Metal Detecting
Options

Spanish Silver

A first for me today, Spanish silver! 1721 Two Reales/Pistereen found at an old farm in a cornfield. Also found an unidentified button, not shown. Other notable finds by other hunters that were out there today included King George I and III coppers, a musket ball, and a couple of Indian Head Cents.

Comments

• Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭

Holy crap! Now that's a find. Congrats on a great old coin. Glad to see some older finds coming up for you. How did it ring in?

• Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2017 7:04AM

Thanks! It was a high tone and in the high 70s in VDI on my AT Pro. We did an air test on it and it rang up 77. Another guy there had found one at a different farm within the past year or two, said it would likely ring up as a 76 in the ground.

I figured at first I would be pulling an Indian Head Cent out of the ground, since they ring up at approximately 78. But, it sure wasn't an IHC! :o

Edit to add: My luck continued later that day. Found 41 cents and a Jamaican nickel in a Coinstar, and a $2 scratch-off lottery ticket won me $21 :).

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great find....looks plough damaged, but still a great piece of silver... and aside from the damage, quite nice. That area seems very productive.... what state is this?? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

@ricko, this is in Maryland. The farm in question has probably been in operation for 300 years.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WhiteTornado....Great...much like my area ... was settled in mid to late 1600's... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome!!!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pre- American revolution. Nice find!

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions