Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Rainbow Toned Seated Half Dollar - Wow

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 20, 2017 2:11AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Check out the color on this seated half. All I can say is... wow...

Comments

• Options
    edited February 11, 2017 3:54PM

Yes, I agree. It's sad this is happening to classic coins.

I'm starting to see more AT coins, even slabbed Genuine Questionable Toning coins, sell for multiples of their melt prices.

• Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

The hard edges point to artificial toning.

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• Options
    RexfordRexford Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2017 4:26PM

Artificial toning and cleaned, would grade AU details imo

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would also suggest avoiding coins with this look. It appears to be a cleaned piece, perhaps harshly cleaned, with fairly obvious artificial toning.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting!

_I'm starting to see more AT coins, even slabbed Genuine Questionable Toning coins, sell for multiples of their melt prices.
    _
    While I agree it's AT and strange looking in general, I would still pay multiples of the melt price for it.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2017 4:59PM

@Walkerguy21D said:
    Very interesting!

_I'm starting to see more AT coins, even slabbed Genuine Questionable Toning coins, sell for multiples of their melt prices.
    _
    While I agree it's AT and strange looking in general, I would still pay multiples of the melt price for it.

It was recently listed for $750 with a $2,500 BIN if there's interest in it. There are some others here.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

That looks like multiples of retail value..... what is the melt value - $7?

My point is that AT coins can be worth significantly more than melt, but obviously far less
    than the book value of a problem free example. But I believe your primary point is that you have seen AT coins sell for significantly more than they should, if the buyers were better informed.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

This particular "thing" has been hurting my eyes for a while now on ebay.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    UltraHighReliefUltraHighRelief Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reminds me of the "look" from the cleaned 18th and 19th century silver type coins out of the Buffalo Historical Society sale back around 12 yrs ago. Same look but at least in the BHS case the toning was imparted by album storage. This 1839 half is just nasty. The horrendous cleaning is worse than the AT.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

And yet... someone will pay premium price for such a thing.... If I should ever fall on hard times, I think I will go into the AT business... :D Not really.... but there sure is a lot of money being made there... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow is right. really sad to see that kind of "work" done to classic silver.

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2017 9:23AM

I also think the cleaning is the real problem. If you take a harshly scrubbed coin and pop it in an old Wayte Raymond board you could conceivably get that in a couple decades. The colors aren't the problem.

mirabela

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file