Home U.S. Coin Forum

"Silver Grease Bar"

KISHU1KISHU1 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

Here are some pictures and info on a 102.57 ounce grease bar I inherited from my aunt
I was a young boy when my father took me to New York to exchange silver certificates for silver bars for himself and my aunt.
I remember a man coming out with beer boxes filled with silver bars and he was loading them in a pickup truck and eventually the wheel wells were hitting the tires and he had to unload some of the silver!
Its amazing that the grease marking is still visable after almost 50 years.

Does anyone else remember exchanging for silver in New York or San Fransisco?

Below is a little more info

Kishu1
Frank Dallessio

In the tumultuous 60’s in effort to end the Treasury's silver dealings entirely, it was decided to set a deadline for the redemption of silver certificates into actual silver. On June 4th, 1963, the U.S. Congress passed an act allowing holders of silver certificates only until June 24th, 1968 to convert those bills into raw silver.

Available at the U.S. Assay Offices in New York and in San Francisco, small holders of silver certificates were given little plastic bags containing more or less pure silver grains. For transactions larger than 100 ounces, the Treasury poured extremely crude silver bars of fineness greater than 90% but less than 99.9% fineness. As far as I know these bars were called “grease bars” unstamped and were unrefined. These crude bars are recognizable because they have their weight written on them with a old style grease pencil.

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file