Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Removing coins from Plastic Holders

I just bought a beautiful 1952 proof set from Wes at Utah Coin (Thanks, Wes). It is in a Capital Plastics holder (or some generic equivalent). I have a mind to send the five coins to PCGS (their Quarterly Special). But, I seem to be unable to remove the coins from the holder; they don't just pop out. Has anybody been able to get the coins from a similar holder out without damaging the proof coins? I could sure use some advice here. Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are 2 pieces of plastic put together.
    Take your thumb/fingernail and slide it around until you feel the seam (usually near the "top" or "bottom" of the set).
    Then, using either your fingernail, or very carefully using a thin blade (exacto knife like item), run that and put some pressure on it...will usually make some headway like that.
    Then, carefully and slowly, slide along the seam. Usually an inch, or a little more, and you can start to carefully pry the 2 pieces apart.

Do it over something soft (say, a cloth on top of a big pillow) in case you get nervous or drop the coins.

I've not had any issues doing it as described above.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always wear cotton gloves - archival/museum quality, and a breather mask or handkerchief when messing with proofs. PCGS also wants proofs in Polyvinyl bags inserted in a 2 x 2 Flip when sent in for grading.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2017 8:12PM

Also the center piece in which the coins sit is beveled. You need to make sure to push the coins out from the larger side.

Push from the smaller side so they will go out the larger side.

Use a cloth,,,, not your fingers to touch the coins.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gscoins said:
    I just bought a beautiful 1952 proof set from Wes at Utah Coin (Thanks, Wes). It is in a Capital Plastics holder (or some generic equivalent). I have a mind to send the five coins to PCGS (their Quarterly Special). But, I seem to be unable to remove the coins from the holder; they don't just pop out. Has anybody been able to get the coins from a similar holder out without damaging the proof coins? I could sure use some advice here. Thanks for any advice.

Why not just send them in in the Capital Plastics holder?

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am guessing you already took off the screws and are just working with middle strip. They push out towards the side that has printing. Set face down on tablecloth or towel, with a cotton glove on push in the middle of the coin, will pop out. Do one coin at a time and carefully pick up coin before next one.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes a gently twist of the plastic is needed on some holders.
    bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

They made a lot of variations of those "capital" like holders. Maybe a pic would help. But a lot of good info already.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    gscoinsgscoins Posts: 287 ✭✭✭

Some very helpful advice; I will try these steps tomorrow and report back. If need be, I will post a photo tomorrow as well.

BTW, I asked a PCGS customer service rep if I could send the entire holder in and was told I needed to remove them from the holder myself. She also said I did not need to use the poly bags, which surprised me a little. Do you guys think I should get and use some anyway?

• Options
    gscoinsgscoins Posts: 287 ✭✭✭

Well, it took a while this morning, but I was able to get all five coins out of the holder. The coin slots were indeed very slightly beveled, but the only coins that came out easily were the half and the dime. All of the coins are now in poly bags and will be on their way to PCGS shortly. All's well that ends well...

I appreciate all of the advice!

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why not just send them in in the Capital Plastics holder?

I agree with Bajjerfan: Let PCGS remove the coins if you are going to have them all graded

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bochiman, had the best advice. If this holder is like the SMS 1966 and 1967 sets. The old "Finger nail" always works. and safe too! Years ago this would never work even for me. You see, not too long ago, I stopped biting my fingernails! ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WaterSport said:
    I always wear cotton gloves - archival/museum quality, and a breather mask or handkerchief when messing with proofs. PCGS also wants proofs in Polyvinyl bags inserted in a 2 x 2 Flip when sent in for grading.

WS

Archival quality gloves and a mask? HAHAHAHA! You would go into Cardiac Arrest watching me.

Do you really think your breath is going to drop the grade? If so, that is some nasty stuff!

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once upon a time, long,long, ago,when I was young collector, I jammed an oversized Capped Bust Half into a round plastic holder. Later on I decided I wanted it out of that holder. No dice. It was stuck. Wouldn't budge. So.....I put it into the freezer compartment of my refrigerator. The thinking behind all of it was that the silver would shrink and then "BINGO" the coin would easily fall out of the container. Again, no dice. I still have that coin. It's still in that plastic container. I can't help you. Sorry.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file