Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Remember that "does acetone affect copper" thread back in April of 2012?

AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 25,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

I took a couple of bright shiny cents and soaked in acetone overnight. Put them in flips and no spots or other problems ever showed. No issues whatsoever and no change in color...still the same. If you see a difference it is due to my lighting from the left.
bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Comments

  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭✭✭

    2012? I can't remember what I had for dinner last night. Good info though!

  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I had a 1936 RB proof cent that I forgot about in a glass jar closed with acetone. I 'rediscovered' it 3 months later and it seemed the same, PCGS graded it anyway.

  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭

    There also not copper cents. The copper plated zincs are not the same.

  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 25,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Sambyrd: I suggest you pick up the baton and try it on older cents. Let us know in four years please.
    bob

    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Rather doubt anyone is going to claim that "acetone eats metals". That's obviously not the case.

    So it shouldn't be a shock that an absolutely uncirculated, recent date, hot off the presses cent placed in acetone was not affected.

    However, an older circulated cent, (or even uncirculated?), with a protective film of dirt and oils? Is that coin going to be changed over time after being stripped in acetone? I wouldn't be too quick to say it won't.....

    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

    try it on real copper cents and let us know

  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭

    In my experience, acetone on circulated/brown copper surfaces can do some very funky things.

    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 40,180 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Real copper cents are bronze or brass

    The plating on a Zincoln is almost pure copper.

    I think the thread also mentioned bright light. Try in a sealed container with a incandescent close to it.

    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 40,180 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Pokermandude said:
    In my experience, acetone on circulated/brown copper surfaces can do some very funky things.

    It may be reacting with what is on the coin, or it could be the reacted bronze/brass. I don't know but that's a couple more things to test.

    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Acetone will not react with copper... It may, however, react with what is on the surface of the coin..Acetone removes organics. Cheers, RickO

  • Options
    ADGADG Posts: 484 ✭✭✭

    @ricko said:
    Acetone will not react with copper... It may, however, react with what is on the surface of the coin..Acetone removes organics. Cheers, RickO

    Yes. It is an organic solvent which can dissolve / remove organic materials on a coin's surface. This can obviously alter the appearance. It does not react with copper itself, or any other metal for that matter.

    "Some people say Citizen Kane or Casablanca. I say 'Jason and the Argonauts' is the greatest movie ever made.” Tom Hanks at The Oscars' Science & Technical Awards Ceremony for Ray Harryhausen, 1992

  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Although itself relatively stable, acetone can break down and yield oxidative products. This seems to be somewhat dependent on temperature and light exposure, amongst other factors.

    I use it carefully and limit exposure, not using mechanical abrade EVER!

    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file