Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Going to Long Beach?

Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 9, 2017 10:27PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Not sure if here or Q&A is best for this

Is anyone from here or in Southern California going to Long Beach for the show? I have never been to a coin show although it is a dream/goal for me.
I live in Ventura County, California and I'm close enough that I am considering trying to go. Building up the nerve I guess...

I don't know exactly what to expect.

What is it like?
How is parking?
Do dealers take credit cards or PayPal?
How big is the show?
Do they sell many Jefferson nickels?
Are there any places to get away from the crowds, or quiet areas?
How much Is admission? Parking?
Does anyone ever trade there? If I brought pcgs slabs?
Would anyone like to meet up?

A bit about me, I am
35, male , US Navy veteran, have my own transportation,
I have trading and coin purchase references with several here, @ conejo stamp and coin in Thousand Oaks, and on eBay

I don't know the attire protocol, Button up shirt and decent pants?

Thanks for reading, and any advise-tips-suggestions are welcome and encouraged.
Rocco

Comments

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

Cash
    Free go to website
    $5 park kiddie corner from entrance across from burger joint
    Don't waste any money on Jeff nickels...

keceph `anah
  • Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2017 8:03PM

It's a lot of fun. You'll have a blast. A few of us here have tables and even more will be attending. Not everyone likes to "meet up" though but you will love it. I suggest getting a cheap hotel room for a night or making the drive twice or all 3 days as it really is an experience especially for your first time. 1 day for a few hours is OK but You should try for 2 days at least. You won't have much time to even compose yourself going only 1 day as the eye candy is amazing.

Parking is $10 a day in the Parking garage attached to the convention center.

Some dealers do take credit cards, some don't.

The show is BIG, it's the largest in California I believe or damn close.

You'll find just about anything you're looking for, including Jefferson's. You'll probably find any Jeff you're looking for actually.

Yes you can get away from the crowd. You can go outside and walk around down town long beach or walk down the pier or go visit the Queen Mary or the Aquarium of the Pacific if that's your thing or a number of various other things.

Admission is free if you are a PCGS member, if not I think it's like $5 bucks.

And yes, horse trading and vest pocket dealing is always welcome so bring what you want to sell it trade. The only no-no is selling or trading with a non-dealer. Dealers pay a lot of money to set up there and it's bad form to do business with a non-dealer. You will know dealers by their dealer badges.

As for clothing, wear whatever you like.

It may seem daunting if you've never been, I remember my first time at a big show and it was long beach coincidentally so I know how you're feeling. All I can say is that you will have a BLAST and a lot of fun. I only suggest you plan to go at least 2 or all 3 days. You'll understand why at the end of day 1 and thank me for the suggestion.

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2017 8:09PM

Long Beach was my first big show, several years ago now. I would very much like to go this time, but I don't think it's going to work out. As for your questions, there are plenty of places to park nearby. That's sort of a given with convention centers. The only real crowds that accumulate are in front of the doors at opening time. Once the show is underway it's probably a lot less crowded than you'd imagine. Yes, there are plenty of places to chill out. The bourse can get a bit noisy at times. Lot viewing at the auction is very quiet and is a great way to see a ton of nice coins.

Dealers trade, sometimes, yes, but it really depends on if you have something they want. You can check out the Long Beach coin show website for more information on parking and admission prices.

longbeachexpo.com/

As for Jefferson nickels, yes there will be hundred or thousands of them there. They're a perfectly wonderful series to collect and you'll be able to find plenty raw, in holders, and in the auction. Most dealers will not take credit cards. A few will do PayPal. Cash is king. Nobody ever turns that down! Dealers who know you will take a check. Some will be happy to contact your references. You can always leave a check with a dealer and ask him to ship you the coin once funds clear.

Dress code....... you'll see guys in tanktops and guys in suits. Just don't wear a shirt with mustard stains. Some people look like Wall Street types and some look like they just crawled out of a sewer. Wear comfortable shoes! Walking around all day on concrete floors is murder.

If you're worried about fitting in........ well, let's just say that most coin collectors aren't exactly normal folks. I'm perfectly normal but many of the other guys aren't. ;)

Finally, be careful. There's no reason to be paranoid but don't advertise that you're a coin collector when you leave the convention center. Be aware of your surroundings. Inside the center there's security (seen and unseen) everywhere. At 6'1" ex-navy you'll probably have no issues, but sometimes weird things happen.

Also, big shows are addictive. For a coin nerd it's like if a pothead teenager was suddenly dropped into the middle of Amsterdam. :)

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is the biggest you will find anywhere near by.

I will be there at table 549, if you come, feel free to come say hi. There are forums members hanging around quite often or just come ask some questions.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also, big shows are addictive. For a coin nerd it's like if a pothead teenager was suddenly dropped into the middle of Amsterdam. :)

That is funny

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2017 11:13PM

Go! By all means go! You'll have a great time. The Long Beach shows are always fantastic. And as far as Jefferson nickels are concerned, you'll find whatever you're looking for. I'd give you some tips on the best booths to look for them but if I did then maybe you'd scoop me. So you're on your own in that department. Good luck!

• Options
    CoinPhysicistCoinPhysicist Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭

How much Is admission?

There are tons of ways to get free admission. I got a flyer from last time I was there that says to use promo code 'VISITOR' and get your ticket online to get free admission! I will be using that. And I will be there!

Successful transactions with: wondercoin, Tetromibi, PerryHall, PlatinumDuck, JohnMaben/Pegasus Coin & Jewelry, CoinFlip, and coinlieutenant.

• Options
    WmwoodWmwood Posts: 102 ✭✭

Wish I was near Long Beach I'd go look at some Jefferson's with you for sure. If anyone is in that area and interested in Jefferson's Rocco is, well he's pretty much a Jefferson expert. DDO's DDR's, mintages and whatever else, just boom off the top of his head.

But go Rocco! Whatever you do go.

Take cash, keep a little in one pocket and more in another pocket.

Dress, I dunno about Long Beach but here it's a wind breaker (that screams coin collector) so I'd say jeans or slacks and a shirt with a collar or nice tee shirt.

Everyone else there is going to have coins on their mind as well, so it's kind of low key, and the great thing about coin shows, if you want to talk they will talk, if you just want to look they will let you look and not bother you. It's more like a library attitude than a rock concert.

I looked at some pictures of past Long Beach shows and it looks like here in that there will be tables and areas packed with people and areas that aren't so you can easily hang to a less populated area.

Let me know how it goes!

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just saw an ad banner here that said the free ticket code is PCGS2017

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you go to pcgs.com on the Long Beach page you can use the code that was posted above to get free admission.
    Thursday and Friday are the best days to come. Saturday some of the dealers have already packed up.
    The show is pretty big and I would recommend trying to make it a two day visit if possible.
    Illini420 (Michael Kittle Rare Coins) and I will be at table 448. Come by and say hi.

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 869 ✭✭✭✭✭

Been going since the mid-80's (and only missed one). Big show with just about anything available. Dress comfortably and, yes, be inconspicuous upon exiting. Not that the neighborhood is very bad, not anything like in the old days, but criminals know it's a coin show and all. Take off your badge before leaving. A backpack is better than a briefcase. Wander the bourse for a considerable time before buying. The best free activity for a new attendee? Register as a bidder in the Heritage coin auctions. You can view the lots, seeing coins that are marvelous even if they exceed your budget. You can bid in the auctions if you like, but there is no such requirement. And if you are there for the sessions, they often have refreshments or serve a modest dinner on special nights. It's a good thing to examine the coins and witness a good auction. These days though the floor is not so busy except on Platinum nights and particularly special sales. Too much online bidding. Best deals are often on Saturday, though not all dealers remain, but those who do don't mind reducing the inventory they are carrying out. Best days to be there are Thursday and Friday. Like nearly all of the bigger shows, Thursday is a lot of dealer-to-dealer and traveling big collector business. Friday is quite a bit more public retail business, but generally currently very engaged collectors. The more casual and those who had to work all day Friday might show up on Saturday. Kids are around then too. As for bourse conduct, just remember that the dealers are burdened with traveling and setup expenses and are trying to sell as much as they can in the limited window there. So if they are busy, chit-chat needs to be minimized. They might be really nice and hospitable and come off as disinterested when they just are busy. If a dealer does show you a lot of inventory, my rule has always been to try to buy something even is he doesn't seem to expect that. Not saying you need to though. The nightmare is the guy who sits down, covers the cases with guides and notes, preventing others to view coins, looks at a bunch for a considerable period of time, and buys nothing. Not necessarily bad guys; just don't realize the bad form of it all. In this market though, you are much less likely to stumble into a busy period on the bourse. Come knowing what you really are looking for and what it's worth. CDN used to set up, might still, and you thus might be able to get a $5 greysheet. Heritage auction archives are free to check online for higher value items. Anyway, come and have fun! I am setting up at table 750 (Select Rarities). Only Jeffs I have are probably from SMS CAMs, Silver dollars here.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

By all means go... preferably two days... and be sure to write a show report here about your experiences. That will be particularly interesting coming from a person who has never been to a show before.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 869 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might also bring an umbrella and please drive carefully. Going to be very rainy on Friday and Saturday. All the more reason to spend more time inside the bourse.

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alefzero said:
    Might also bring an umbrella and please drive carefully. Going to be very rainy on Friday and Saturday. All the more reason to spend more time inside the bourse.

I was just going to mention that. SoCal doesn't always handle rain very well, and it's supposed to be a couple of inches throughout most of the area. (That's 14 inches in dog years....or something like that). ;)

I was going to shoot for Friday afternoon....but commuter traffic WITH rain might force me to settle for Saturday morning....

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alefzero said:
    As for bourse conduct, just remember that the dealers are burdened with traveling and setup expenses and are trying to sell as much as they can in the limited window there. So if they are busy, chit-chat needs to be minimized. _They might be really nice and hospitable and come off as disinterested when they just are busy. _If a dealer does show you a lot of inventory, my rule has always been to try to buy something even is he doesn't seem to expect that. Not saying you need to though. . Anyway, come and have fun! I am setting up at table 750 (Select Rarities). Only Jeffs I have are probably from SMS CAMs, Silver dollars here.

This is golden advice. The entire post is wonderful and shares wisdom. Thank you much.
    These unwritten social etiquette rules are so HELPFUL to know. I sincerely appreciate that kind of advice!
    This insight is priceless, with regards to attitudes and such.
    I am always open to suggestions on anything. I just started reading a book "asperkids (secret) book of social rules" which had also been wildly helpful in learning unwritten rules.
    Thanks everyone for your input and guidance. I am Super appreciative!
    Best wishes.

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will be going to the show from Ventura County as well... will be set up at Table 448 the entire show... stop by and say hello.

Definitely the biggest and best show we have within reasonable driving distance.

:+1:

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty much what all the others said, plus my 2 cents:

Yes cash is king, but more and more dealers are taking PayPal payments via your phone so do get the app if you plant to go that route.

Long Beach is one of my favorite shows, though it's been a couple years since I've been there. My and my wife have used coin shows to build vacations around, so by all means do enjoy the coin show, but also go check out the other attractions nearby like the Long Beach Aquarium or the farmer's market if it happens to be setting up when you're there. If you have time to burn, take a day trip to Catalina Island.

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

Definitely attend. You'll have fun just wandering around and looking.It's like 1,000 coin shops all in one place.

I'd suggest just having a short list of coins you would be interested in with grades and price ranges written down.
    But don't go with the intention of having to buy something. Long Beach is the only major show I attend. The first time I went it was pretty overwhelming.

The dress attire is super casual. Cargo shorts can be useful with Velcro pockets you can keep coins are useful.

It will be rare to see marked prices so if you are interested in a coin you'll have to ask the price.
    The most important thing to do is just wander around looking and have fun.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file