Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1921 Satin Proof Peace Dollars, still less than 12 known? Any PCGS yet?

northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 7, 2017 1:58PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Came across this reporting from an old discussion from 2003 from coinguy1 regarding Satin Proof Peace Dollars referencing up to 12 known, although apparently at least up to that point in time PCGS was not grading them. Has that changed? If so I should probably submit mine that I have now had for over a decade and a half.

"Walter Breen describes the 1921 Satin Proofs as having "scattered die file marks" on the obverse "up and down, crossing each other in upper left fields and through and around upper parts of letters in LIBERTY, these mostly parallel to horizontal elements of letters; others in approximately concentric arcs of circles. Triangular pellet stop after (S)T in unusually high relief, even more than the other stops. Rev. Rays in high relief; similar die lines."

He also describes the 1922 low relief Satin proofs as having finishes similar to the 1921's, with built up rims and noticeably superior strike in many design areas.

The legitimate Satin proofs that I seen displayed a somewhat vibrant, semi-prooflike appearance, compared to business strikes, along with impressive strikes. .....

NGC has certified (12) Satin proof 1921's and (2) Satin proof 1922's. Again, some of those are probably resubmissions."

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file