Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Gallery Mint Coins

Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2, 2017 6:24PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi all!. Are these coins/copies collectible anymore? These are silver. Dan Carr has done a good job at filling this market since Gallery Mint shut down and I just thought I would ask Y'all!

Comments

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, they're collectible, just a little more difficult to sell than they used to be because of eBay's rules. While Dan Carr's stuff fills a specific market, I don't think it completely overlaps with the GMM market. One of the things that the GMM coins were meant to do was reproduce not only the pieces, but also the manufacturing method of the early mint, from maintaining a screw press all the way down to hand-engraving dies and punches. The skill at which this was all executed was one of the big things that attracted me to these reproductions. Ron Landis' work outside the GMM repros, including not only hand-engraved coins, but also on steel guitars, dobros, French horn valve caps (not mine, but someone's who I sent to him), and pretty much anything else metal that needs engraving, is top notch.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 7, 2017 10:43AM

I didn't start off collecting Gallery Mint replica pieces but have always enjoyed work by Ron Landis and have recently become somewhat fascinated by the old school minting techniques. Here is a piece I was able to pick up recently. Once the cud formed, they decided to continue striking with the die to see what happened so this is part of a die failure progression series. The circular die cracks are neat too.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the other things that GMM produced was a newsletter which not only contained announcements for products, mintage numbers, and the like, but also insight into the process of producing certain coins. Often this was framed as how things were done or could have been done at the early mint. There were also comparisons between methods tried for accomplishing something that were interesting.

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

i have a bunch of liberty cap copper pieces from the gallery mint. they are really cool...even with the "copy" stamp. they placed the "copy" in a place where it isn't distracting. i don't know the answer to your question, but i really like the quality of gallery mint and the piece you posted is certainly collectable to me.

• Options
    CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭

They sure are collectable and affordable

if you can't afford a good example of the real thing... :)

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice set and presentation box :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

the copper looks pretty neat to me ( it all does but that just stands out to me )

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course they're collectible, and some very nice examples shown so far. I like them and have collected them for the reasons stated, at reasonable prices they're fun and beautiful and interesting, including die varieties, errors, and pieces de caprice. These for the most part are early US designs that are virtually unobtainable in any grade for the average collector, particularly the ones shown by Coinlearner which are among my favorites.

Here is part of my set, there are duplicates with the HPA-compliant COPY stamp on the obverse as well as the reverse, so that the pair of each type can be displayed face-up with no COPY showing

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice.... I do not recall seeing these at shows ... certainly good work by a noted individual. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭

Gallery Mint 1796 50c 15 Stars - Copy

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2021 11:49AM

Gallery Mint Proof Copy Error ! 9 over 7 -- (1794 Dollar)

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • Options

Gallery Mint Museum - Ron Landis and Joe Rust Original

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rooksmith said:

Gallery Mint Proof Copy Error ! 9 over 7 -- (1794 Dollar)

I believe the 7 9 in the second digit was part of the design, not an error. These were made in 1994 to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the original silver dollar.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

That makes sense.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file