Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Show off your man cave!

Happy Super Bowl Sunday, my dad and I have been working on my basement for awhile now, and I wanted to show it off. It's about 90% completed, just some minor touches we want to put on. Here's the place I go to have a cold one and play with my cards. Enjoy!

Comments

• Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

Sorry if images are blurry, took from iPad.

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

Amazing stuff! Coming from a guy with a closet....spilling into the office!

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow!

Totally super basement and stuff. Wish I had a basement.

I enjoyed viewing.

Do you keep those strong lights off most of the time that are directed at your auto baseballs?

I fear they could really "bleach" out the sigs.

Thanx for sharing - one of the nicest man caves I've seen.

Mike
  • Options
    natetrooknatetrook Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

Love the 1957 Scorecard.
    Enjoy it....

• Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    edited February 5, 2017 6:11PM

Stingray, try using the flash. That should illuminate the room and the subject so we will be able to see everything clearly and wont be looking at pictures as if they were taken in a dark room :)

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet setup. My man cave is still missing the display case for my cards which is being made as we speak. We do have a decent setup for the kids to enjoy - pool room with TV set up for video games, Foosball table, 104" theater area, and 4 total TV's to watch sports and games. We do have a table we use to open cards and boxes...

• Options
    Loyalty32Loyalty32 Posts: 497 ✭✭✭

Great stuff folks!

Go Big Blue! BBN!

Thanks
    Craig

• Options

GBB is right!!

KC

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

Great man caves guys! Thanks for sharing.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking man caves!!! :+1::+1:

Yah, I'm in the same boat as Ted except I have a cabinet and safe spilling out into the office/wife's craft room.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Some cool caves here, jealous!

• Options

@Stone193 said:
    Do you keep those strong lights off most of the time that are directed at your auto baseballs?
    I fear they could really "bleach" out the sigs.
    Thanx for sharing - one of the nicest man caves I've seen.

Thanks Stone! To answer your question, all my ball cubes are AV Protected, but for added insurance, I bought LED lights just to be safe.

The other rooms look great too! Keep em comin!

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 6, 2017 6:14AM

You can see some pics of it on my photobucket account in the link below (under the Collections folder). It's not fancy but it does the job. Regarding why I need two monitors, the left one is a "hand-me-down" 32" HDTV (we got a 42" for the living room a few years back) I use as my computer/WiiU/PS3 monitor, and the CRT on the right (2007 Emerson 20") is for all my other, or retro consoles you can see in the pic below (you have to play those on an old fashioned CRT monitor/TV or else you'll get lag and the games won't control/feel quite right). And yes I know the picture quality bites (as my generation would say) but that's the best I can do with my Nintendo DS camera; sorry :P

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    sushihotwingssushihotwings Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    edited February 6, 2017 6:23AM

Ok. Now I am thoroughly embarrassed with what I have and surely have some work to do on my cave. Thanks for sharing. It provides some inspiration.

On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.
  • Options
    IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

Stunning man caves! Thanks for sharing, guys. I'm still working on mine. However, my cards are going in a large, five-drawer blueprint case. I finally got it finished with midnight blue and dark crushed velvet purple pads. It's like the equivalent of five large All-State display cases. Saves a massive amount of space. This way, I can view my cards, coins, pins, et al when I wish, and then keep them out of any damaging UV rays when I'm not admiring them. My basement's cool and dry, so that helps too. I have a long way to go for the rest of it, which will display my collection of model cars, my other hobby.

Cheers. ---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)

• Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

My man cave consists of tons of shelves in my closet filled to the brim. In the process of building a built in bookcase and will have an area to hold all my displays. Going to get a few display cabinets for the wall as well.

• Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome spots you all have to sit and enjoy your collections. My favorite spot in my house is the man cave. I have a TV upstairs that is more convenient to watch, but I will go downstairs anyway because I just enjoy the space so much more. It was tan originally but I painted it this year, and like the way it turned out. !
    []![](
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/fw/twk3afkh3pj4.jpg "")
    (https://us.v-cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/ky/9wmlqacj1uji.jpg "")
    v

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options

Got some great lookin cards there 76! Looks like you are about due for another sub, if only for that Jeter alone!

• Options
    fmclaug11fmclaug11 Posts: 325 ✭✭✭

I've shared these before but it's always fun to show them again. I've made a few changes since I took these pictures a year or two ago but it's mostly the same.

• Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somebody loves that Mantle guy, lol. Love the collection, especially like the way those framed newspapers turned out. Great job fmclaug11.

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

Totallyrad, love the room, especially the pinball machine.

Kendall, Your room has always been very nice. I am in a similar situation as you and if you had to do it over again would you still go with a projector? I am torn between a larger projector at a cheaper price or a more expensive 80" LCD. Thought?

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

Awesome pics, Nice Caves!

• Options

@Cakes said:
    Totallyrad, love the room, especially the pinball machine.

Kendall, Your room has always been very nice. I am in a similar situation as you and if you had to do it over again would you still go with a projector? I am torn between a larger projector at a cheaper price or a more expensive 80" LCD. Thought?

Thank you for the nice note. A few years ago we moved about a 1/2 mile in our same neighborhood to get a house with a basement and more space. Old house was great, but lacked entertaining space inside - I built a deck out back that was 16x30 with two separate seating areas and a grill, but wanted a place where we could have our team over, kids from church for events... Total sq ft is 1800+ and we have (4) total TV's down there - one 104" screen, a 51" in the pool table room, a 47" in the bar area, and a 39" in the weight room.

Your question is interesting because I wrestle with the same one when we did the screen. The screen works well if you don't have a lot of ambient light during the daytime to wash it out, and with a screen and projector you can always upgrade the projector when new technology comes out. Epson projector will run about $2800, screen can be $900-2000 depending on what you get, and I would suggest a sound bar and woofer - runs you $150. I had existing components and a full set of Bowers and Wilkens speakers so I was ok there.

I had thought about just getting a pair of 66-70" LG TV's mounted side by side to watch two games at a time. You would need two mini boxes for satellite, and I like several games at a time so it would be cool IMO. If you like to watch a lot of movies and don't care about watching multiple games go with the screen. That way when OLED becomes cheaper you can swap out the projector with better tech. Funny thing is I don't drink or smoke or have any real vices, and baseball cards and watching sports and TV's are what I blow extra $$ on ;) Good luck with your setup and send photo when you are done.

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Boy, am I ever envious of those with basements!

I've been talking about renovation for quite some time - it's finally underway - have not been posting much - will return after I'm done for sure.

In my front hobby room - I had a shelf that was put in by the builder as an "after-thought."

In some models, that area is a door to the front bathroom.

Here's my improved version - I think the items displayed will be seen much easier.

Mike
  • Options
    vettfanaticvettfanatic Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Totallyrad great looking basement! Being from Milwaukee myself I love all the Brewers and Packers items. The county stadium seats look really good the way you have them. Now you got me wanting to track some of those down.

Jeff

• Options

@vettfanatic said:
    Totallyrad great looking basement! Being from Milwaukee myself I love all the Brewers and Packers items. The county stadium seats look really good the way you have them. Now you got me wanting to track some of those down.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff! They are actually from Miller Park. They came from the club level when they added in that additional patio area next to the Gehl Club. I got them at the Brewers rummage sale about 8 years ago. That's always my spot in the war room when I have the guys over for our fantasy drafts.

I see County Stadium seats fairly frequently on Craigslist and eBay, but they are generally a bit overpriced in my opinion. Personally, I wouldn't go more than $150 for a pair. But it depends on the seats. I might be getting my uncle's seats from County someday though. He bought his and my grandpa's season ticket seats before they tore County Stadium down. It'd be a very cool and sentimental piece to add to the basement.

• Options

I have three rooms/areas dedicated to collectibles - one for comics, one for sports and one for Michael Jordan. I wish I had a basement like some of you for a huge, dedicated area.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭

@SpinFadeSplash23 said:
    I have three rooms/areas dedicated to collectibles - one for comics, one for sports and one for Michael Jordan. I wish I had a basement like some of you for a huge, dedicated area.

Go HULK!

The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options

@SpinFadeSplash23 said:
    ** I have three rooms/areas dedicated to collectibles** - one for comics, one for sports and one for Michael Jordan. I wish I had a basement like some of you for a huge, dedicated area.

Geez, that's awesome Joe!

I'm liking the displays you have - job well done buddy.

Mike
  • Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2017 7:04AM

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2017 7:18PM

Still a work in progress! My favorite thing about it... it was a mostly unfinished basement when I bought this house and did all the work myself! Build the bar myself too!

• Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭

@epatmythes said:
    Still a work in progress! My favorite thing about it... it was a mostly unfinished basement when I bought this house and did all the work myself! Build the bar myself too!

That is a boss man-cave. Great work!

The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options

Awesome epatmythes! What's currently on tap at bar? ;)

• Options

@dytch2220 said:

@epatmythes said:

That is a boss man-cave. Great work!

+1

Beautiful job on that one, and you have some skills! Really like how you laid it out.

KC

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice setup! Nice work on the bar. I'll take two finger of the Bulleit Rye hiding at the end. Neat please.

Kevin

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

Amazing guys! Enjoy your man caves!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

@totallyradd said:
    Awesome epatmythes! What's currently on tap at bar? ;)

Miller Lite... whenever something is on tap... it's always Miller Lite!!!

• Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭

It almost looks like it's worth living in the cold parts of the US just to have a basement!

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

@SidePocket said:
    It almost looks like it's worth living in the cold parts of the US just to have a basement!

Eh, don't get carried away. Lol

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah.......... I've had both. I live on a slab of concrete now in a warm dry place and wouldn't trade it for the nicest basement in one of the coldest places. B)

Kevin

Kevin

• Options

I seriously don't think I could live a normal, happy life without having a house with a basement, lol. Even all the years I was living in the St. Louis area... I had a basement and felt so bad for my friends who had basement-less homes.

• Options

Great job on the man caves! I display the majority of our items in my home office:

• Options

So....I had a few Pennzoni card frames up in my house in 2010/2011. Then we moved and had kids and everything stayed wrapped and packed away. Also in 2010/2011 I displayed a bunch of SI magazines in my office at work, then a I switched jobs (got canned), and they stayed in storage. In the interim I bought some uncut sheets and miscellaneous items and 6-7 years later finally hung everything up in the basement. Love the pics on this thread and drew inspiration from them also. Here goes:

Vintage Football Collector and Dolphins fan.
    First Cards ever collected - 1978 Topps Football.
    Working on a collection of the Top Ten FB Cards of each year from 1957-1987.
  • Options

• Options

• Options

• Options