Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1925-D $2 1/2 Indian MS62 Rotated Die Error

jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

I probably posted this coin a couple years ago, but I just sold it, so it is the last time I can post it again. In all my years of searching and buying these coins, this is only the second I've seen with this amount of rotation. The other one I bought raw, and got it graded with NGC, who notated the rotation as an error. Since this one came in an OGH, I decided to leave it that way. It is sad to sell, but it was a good offer, so had to take it.

Comments

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

how do the rotation error occur.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 3, 2017 12:38PM

@Kkathyl said:
    how do the rotation error occur.

I am pretty sure on this, but don't take it as gospel yet. The OBV die worked itself loose. The REV die is called the anvil, I believe, and will not rotate.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe the Reverse die can rotate also.

They're called "Rotated Reverse" because
    that's the easiest way to describe them, and
    because you can't tell if it were the obv. die
    or the reverse die that rotated - but the
    reverse is always 'rotated' on them when you
    flip them over, so that's become the term used.

It just makes sense from an orientation point of view.

Kinda like 'clipped planchet'

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oil82w8 @FredWeinberg thank you for explaining that.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've actually found another one of these since I sold this one. Here is my latest:

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find... quick replacement..... I never thought to check mine for rotated die... not slabbed, so I need to look at that... stay tuned. ;) Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file