Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

February Pick ups..... Post'em if you've got'em

I've been waiting and watching for this card to show up and finally it surfaced. Lucky for me it was found as part of a random case break by a non hockey fan in TX so it made its way to market instead of into someone's PC. A lot of back and forth to secure this one but it did reconfirm one thing for me. A sellers asking price is just that, an ask, so it never hurts to politely make an offer. After seemingly running into every nut job on eBay who insults reasonable offers or who fails to counter, when you lose nothing by doing it, it was nice to deal with a reasonable person.

There is only one more modern card that I'm still keeping an eye out for but I was really only hoping to get this one or the other so mission accomplished. The other would be gravy. So back to the '70s I go.

Released with the 2015-2016 The Cup UD Exquisite Collection Rookie Shield 1/1.

Kevin

Comments

• Options

From January, but showed up today very pleased with these. Russell is a refractor /99

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2017 8:30PM

Love the Hull and the Magic!!!!! Two out of four cards so far are Hockey!

February is going to be a good month.

What's keeping the Magic from a 10? Is it the back or is that lower left corner ever so slightly touched?

Kevin

Kevin

• Options

@LOTSOS said:
    Love the Hull and the Magic!!!!! Two out of four cards so far are Hockey!

February is going to be a good month.

What's keeping the Magic from a 10? Is it the back or is that lower left corner ever so slightly touched?

Kevin

Thanks Kevin,
    The Hull is so nice four DAGGER corners and centered. The only thing I can see wrong with the card is a faint print line down the right side and one starting at the bottom of his neck down (it's harder to see in hand).
    The Magic is almost perfect the bottom right corner has just the slightest touch.

Nice shield 1/1 by the way, "The Cup" is that one of Upper Decks higher end releases?

Tim
  • Options

Yes. The Cup is THE high end hockey release. The Exqusite Collection is released inside of the higher end lines Black Diamond, Black (I think), SP Authentic (maybe) , and The Cup.

While I'm not sure of the exact percentages for each of the lines. Black Diamond was the highest. You got a five card pack of Black Diamond and a one card pack of The Exqusite Collection. Even with the Cup which is a six card box didn't have a guarantee of one per box of 6.

So essentially Esqusite Collection is the rarest of rare. This is the high end insert.

It is a Rookie Card, Patch, The Shield (The elite patch like the NBA has logo man:

( http://www.beckett.com/news/goldin-auctions-puts-rookie-year-lebron-james-logoman-on-the-block/ )

Auto (even though this one doesn't have one http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/09/01/jack-eichel-trading-card-autograph-deal-leaf )

1/1.

The only other card close to being like it would be the UD The Cup Rookie Patch 1/1 which also has a shield but is a non auto card across the board.

So for your favorite teams supposed generational talent it's pretty cool. At least to me B)

Kevin

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Largentcollector, That is a sweet looking Magic Johnson. I would love to know what happened on that drive. Did he shoot or did he pass?

LOTSOS, congrats on landing the Jack Eichel. Always fun to land a card like that.

• Options
    TheMickTheMick Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

I picked up a couple of cheaper cards of Tom Brady in PSA 10

• Options

I picked up an e-card for use in Madden 17 for the Primetime version of Falcons Deion Sanders. At the Madden event in Orlando, they handed out a limited number of physical placards with codes to redeem for the card. I was lucky enough to pick one up on Ebay for about $30. The only way to get the Falcons version of Deion was to be at the event or buy the code online from someone who was.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked up this for my mid grade 54 set.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

That's the first time that happened to me. Maybe I should call it my 54 mini set.

Ralph

• Options
    RobbyRobby Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Nice Junior card Ralph ! I posted in another topic and posted a picture that came out the same way ???? Clicking on the picture though ..................shows a nice clear big scan ! Maybe this a a new format for pictures that Psa is rolling out ??????.....................Robbie

Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options

Thanks

Ralph

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking Koufax and Gibson. :+1::+1:

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options

Love that Koufax rookie and the Gibson has crazy good centering which is never easy to find with that card.

• Options
    Eavdr10Eavdr10 Posts: 54 ✭✭✭

Finally picked up the 10.

• Options
    edited February 6, 2017 5:31PM

Great MJ and Marino rookies!

Here is one very slept on triple crown winner. The numbers this guy put up were insane in his peak. Kind of got robbed of the MVP in 1931, won it in 32, and came in second again in 33!

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the image on the Klein. Beautiful card.

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

I added these four cards to my 1964 Topps Stand-up set.

james

• Options

@brad31 said:
    Love the image on the Klein. Beautiful card.

Thanks, Brad. The Goudey 33 set has so many beautiful baseball cards.

Could not resist these little classics...

• Options
    edited February 6, 2017 9:01PM

DM23HOF ,
    Nice looking Klein. After reading your post on him I went and looked at his numbers. Pretty crazy stats. You mentioned 31,32 and 33 and in 29 he had 43 homers 145 RBI's and batted 356 and in 1930 he hit 40 homers along with 170 RBI's and batted 386. I never realized how incredible his stats were. Thanks for posting it is always fun to learn about some of these all-time great hitters that are rarely talked about.

• Options
    edited February 6, 2017 11:24PM

Same here; Klein's numbers blew me away. I was teaching my son about the Triple Crown— I am reading him the Mantle book, My Favorite Summer, 1956, and he is fascinated by the picture of Mickey with the crown and the three bats— and so I looked up other Triple Crown winners, and never knew about Klein. Talk about an eye opener. I have come across a few other amazing players that perhaps haven't been as loved by time as they should be, and am really excited to pick up one card to represent each of these all time greats.

Another great player from back in the day with some sweet numbers, and such a good looking baseball card to boot with the colorful background... Tough to believe with the year he had in 1929, that he only finished 11th in MVP voting! I guess that's what it was like playing in the same league as Hornsby though.

• Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

Posted the Shantz and the Rush on another thread, but I've been working my 58 and 59 Braves team sets, so I got a little bit tipsy and went on a shopping spree. Oops!

• Options

February has been a very nice month. Congrats to all. Let's keep'em coming!

Love the Hackenschmidt! First Workd Champ. Great story.

Kevin

• Options
    Eavdr10Eavdr10 Posts: 54 ✭✭✭

Some modern stuff. I subbed the pink, the rest I purchased already slabbed. An electric arm, and a Texas throwback. Love when he's on the hill.

• Options

Nice cards. Just added this beauty to my set.

Joe

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options

I always loved this card; he looks like such a lovable cartoon character. I remember first hearing of his 1930 record RBI total as a kid, after Mattingly had 145 RBI in 1985. I hadn't seen a total that much in a while, and looked up the record at my local library. Wilson's 1930 stats: 56 HR, 191 RBI, .356 AVG, 208 H, .723 SLG

The colorful info below is from Wikipedia:

His mother, Jennie Kaughn, 16, was an unemployed drifter from Philadelphia; his father, Robert Wilson, 24, was a steel worker. His parents never married; both were heavy drinkers, and in 1907 his mother died of appendicitis at the age of 24.

In 1916 Lewis left school to take a job at a locomotive factory, swinging a sledge hammer for four dollars a week. Although only five feet six inches tall, he weighed 195 pounds with an 18-inch neck, and feet that fit into size-five-and-one-half shoes. Sportswriter Shirley Povich later observed that he was "built along the lines of a beer keg, and was not wholly unfamiliar with its contents." While his unusual physique was considered an oddity at the time, his large head, tiny feet, short legs and broad, flat face are now recognized as hallmarks of the Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.

After breaking his leg while sliding into home plate during his first professional game, he was moved from the catcher's position to the outfield.

In 1926, he was arrested during a police raid of a Prohibition-era speakeasy while trying to escape through the rear window, and was fined one dollar. He ended the season with a league-leading 21 home runs.

Wilson had a combative streak and sometimes initiated fights with opposing players and fans. On June 22, 1928, a near-riot broke out in the ninth inning at Wrigley Field against the St. Louis Cardinals when Wilson jumped into the box seats to attack a heckling fan. An estimated 5,000 spectators swarmed the field before police could separate the combatants and restore order. The fan sued Wilson for $20,000, but a jury ruled in his favor. The following year he took offense at a remark by Cincinnati Reds pitcher Ray Kolp, and – upon reaching first base after hitting a single – he charged into the Reds dugout, punching Kolp several times before they could be separated. Later that evening at the train station, Wilson exchanged words and blows with Cincinnati player Pete Donohue.

By 1938 he was working as a bartender near Brooklyn's Ebbets Field where he sang for drinks, but had to quit when customers became too abusive.

Wilson — once the highest-paid player in the National League — died penniless; his son, Robert, refused to claim his remains. NL President Ford Frick finally sent money to cover his funeral expenses. His gray burial suit was donated by the undertaker.

"Talent isn't enough. You need common sense and good advice. If anyone tries to tell you different, tell them the story of Hack Wilson. ... Kids in and out of baseball who think because they have talent they have the world by the tail. It isn't so. Kids, don't be too big to accept advice. Don't let what happened to me happen to you."

• Options

Wow. Never heard of him but what a interesting life. Thanks for sharing that.

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

That's a wild story. Reminds me that I want to someday own a Rube Waddell card. Not to hijack, but his story is incredible beyond belief. Check out this podcast:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsicRICquGE

• Options

Could not agree more, Waddell is another awesome, colorful baseball story. Plus a HOFer who put up some dominant numbers. This is my favorite card of his aesthetically:

• Options

Pretty pumped over this find. Love the super old cards. Brouthers kind of dominated.

• Options

More PSA 10 of Tom Brady

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2017 7:21AM

I posted last month when I bought it, but since it finally arrived yesterday

Link to large pic;
    i124.photobucket.com/albums/p4/alifaxwa2/walterjohnson_page_small.jpg

I might just frame it like this instead of doing the custom cut. Can't decide. May also try to flip it.

Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some great stuff being posted!!

Here is a Pujols Rookie Pickup

• Options
    IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

DM23HOF---- Good post on Mr. Wilson. I'm a fan of him, though only have modern beauties.

I would like to point your attention to a superb biography written about Hack Wilson. Entitled, FOULED AWAY, THE BASEBALL TRAGEDY OF HACK WILSON, it was written by Clifton Blue Parker, and published by McFarland & Company, Inc. in 2000. It will make you weep in places. Very compelling, particularly Parker's account of the 1929 and 1930 seasons.

At $29.50, the book was rather expensive for a softbound 222-page tome; nevertheless, it was worth it. My own E-book on a CD about postwar regionals is $30, but it is 478 pages. I find if I really enjoy something, the cost is always worth it. If you want to know some great stuff about Mr. Wilson, I would recommend FOULED AWAY wholeheartedly. Just saying, do not buy it if you are a strong fan of Rogers Hornsby. Hornsby was jealous of Hack, and ruined him. I'm starting to play the spoiler and I don't want to do that. Enough said.

---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)

• Options
    edited February 9, 2017 11:09AM

Thanks, Brian; will get that book right now and begin reading. Re: Rajah, I have long been in awe of Hornsby's numbers and performance, though have read little on the man himself. His rookie appeared at REA last year, a rare card. Finding any early Hornsby, say 1921 or earlier, was a must for me, though they do not surface often.

• Just got the book on Amazon Prime; excited to read it. Thx again.

• Options
    IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

You are most welcome, my friend. I hope you love it and are as stirred as I was on Hack Wilson. I will always be a fan of his.

One of my big disappointments was the colorized card that the producers of the Conlon cards chose of Hack Wilson. I bought a batch of the scarce color Conlons, just for the Hack Wilson. He is shown ducking away from a potential bean ball; you cannot even see his face---horrible wasted opportunity. Had they simply chosen the cover photo portrait of FOULED AWAY, I would have been thrilled. Take care, and thanks for the email. ---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some great pick ups. Most out of my league :D So, in an NFL draft type of way I've gone after need pick ups for side projects:

• Options

Very nice I really like that 89 FB design.

@hyperchipper09 said:
    Some great pick ups. Most out of my league :D So, in an NFL draft type of way I've gone after need pick ups for side projects:

Tim
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

I picked this up on ebay raw and it looked really good for this issue. Ends up being a pop 1 with one higher and I own that copy too....here is a Lou Thesz rookie from 1954 Parkhurst.

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options

Another raw pickup from ebay that made the trip to Newport Beach and I am happy with the results....

Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options

Another one of my recent pickups from ebay....I started off with a really rough Strangler Lewis strip card that was a placeholder in my set and upgraded to a PSA 2 that has some creases and then found this card and subbed it. I am happy to make the jump from 2 to 5 for my collection.

• Options

Another addition to my Ringside set. I have two more nice additions on the way I will add when I re-scan. Thanks for sharing!

Joe

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

At long last, a minty Ray Ray ref

• Options

Roger that. Now that is truly high end for the grade.

Ralph

• Options

Love the Roger Maris card. I picked up this 1966 Al Kaline card.

• Options

galaxy27, Great looking Ray Ray refractor. Love seeing some basketball being posted.

Largentcollector, That is an incredible Maris for the grade. Just Wow!!!

Also a great looking Kaline. Just read a story about Kaline. With the recent passing of Mike Ilitch (Tiger;s Owner) Kaline shared this story with the Detroit News. Here is part of the story.

Ilitch was then the owner of a professional slow-pitch softball team, the Detroit Caesars, his first foray into sports ownership. That club would win two American Professional Slow Pitch League championships and feature of Kaline’s former teammates – Norm Cash, Mickey Stanley and Jim Northrup.

“I turned him down,” Kaline said. “He said, ‘You are turning down $10,000 to play one game?’ And that was a lot of money back in those days. I said, “Mr. Ilitch, I will never put on another uniform other than the Detroit Tigers.

“I think it made him mad but later I think he appreciated it and it’s why he hired me upstairs in the front office. Because money wasn’t a big issue, only my love for the Tigers. My loyalty to the Tigers is what it was all about.”

I have been slowly adding some HOF's of the 69's. Nate Thurmond recorded the first Quadruple Double officially recorded in the NBA. One of the great centers that was over shadowed by Chamberlain, Russell and Alcindor/Jabbar. Here is his stat line. 22 points, 14 rebounds, 13 assists and 12 blocks. Only 4 recorded quadruple doubles in NBA history.