Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Introduction new member Jefferson nickel enthusiast

Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello, my name is Rocco and I am a new member. I joined a few weeks ago and I am thoroughly enjoying this website. I am high functioning autistic, also know as Aspegers, ASD or Aspie for short.

Jefferson nickels are my special interest or passion in life. Some average people might call it an obsession and thats cool with me B)
I made an informative article about nickels and my interest in them on a website designed for Aspies, folks on the spectrum, family members and anyone else interested.

https://www.aspiescentral.com/threads/jefferson-nickels-1938-mint-state-u-s-05-cent-coins.14542/

If anyone has any input, advice, opinions , etcetera please share!
I hope to spread the love of coins to as many as possible and any help would be immensely appreciated!
I also participate in the registry http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistry/publishedset.aspx?s=142753

Thanks for reading!
Best wishes,
Rocco

Comments

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome aboard!

• Options
    WmwoodWmwood Posts: 102 ✭✭

Welcome to the Board Rocco. I love the Jefferson Nickels also.

Your Jefferson sets and web page is amazing! Thank you for sharing.

• Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome! Here's my latest nickel acquisition:

www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome! I am pretty new as well.

CCAC Representative of the General Public
    Columnist for The Numismatist
    2021 Young Numismatist of the Year

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that nickel has awesome blue!!!!!

• Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the Forum. I read your blog, it was very interesting. And good work with your Registry set.

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any relation to J Rocco ???

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2017 3:21PM

Welcome!

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭

Welcome aboard. I also mainly collect Jeffersons and lately on proofs from '38 to '42.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the board! Hope that you have a lot of fun.

• Options
    edited February 1, 2017 11:22PM

@gonzer said:
    Any relation to J Rocco ???

Yes? :)
    Probably not the same one though younmention?
    My initials are J Rocco S.
    Although I am not famous... I do have a couple hundred original paintings on floating around the web.
    This avatar (original) was later modified and featured on NHS posters in the U.K. by a friend over there, and on an autism book also found in the U.K.

Here is a link to a collection of nearly all of my paintings, there are 10 pages with 18-21 per page.
    https://www.aspiescentral.com/media/albums/acrylic-colors-by-rocco.291/

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello John,

I think we made a deal for a few nickels recently.

Glad to see you made it here.

Gary

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2017 4:13PM

@GRANDAM said:
    Hello John,

I think we made a deal for a few nickels recently.

Glad to see you made it here.

Gary

We did! Great to see you around Gary. Thank you for helping my set along , I always enjoy trading.

@mingot said:
    Welcome aboard. I also mainly collect Jeffersons and lately on proofs from '38 to '42.

Cool! I have been very interested in the early proofs lately , especially the re engraved details and varieties I have a few waiting to be sent in for pcgs holders soon.

• Options
    Rob85635Rob85635 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭

Welcome.

Rob the Newbie
  • Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    Hello, my name is Rocco and I am a new member. I joined a few weeks ago and I am thoroughly enjoying this website. I am high functioning autistic, also know as Aspegers, ASD or Aspie for short.

Jefferson nickels are my special interest or passion in life. Some average people might call it an obsession and thats cool with me B)
    I made an informative article about nickels and my interest in them on a website designed for Aspies, folks on the spectrum, family members and anyone else interested.

https://www.aspiescentral.com/threads/jefferson-nickels-1938-mint-state-u-s-05-cent-coins.14542/

If anyone has any input, advice, opinions , etcetera please share!
    I hope to spread the love of coins to as many as possible and any help would be immensely appreciated!
    I also participate in the registry http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistry/publishedset.aspx?s=142753

Thanks for reading!
    Best wishes,
    Rocco

Welcome to one of the best places on earth, well that is a bit over the top...but, still a nice place to visit.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like Jefferson's as well, and also have completed a Jefferson deal with you. I love your picture of the Dansco page with cool colors on the link.

I suspect there are a few of us on these boards with varying levels of OCD, so all is good.

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Rocco,
    Welcome to school! I say school because you'll not only be taught about coins but in many areas such as, in ethics, manners and in business, Whatever you might have on your mind , go ahead and share it with us here. This forum, that you wisely decided to join, is very knowledgeable in numerous topics. So don't be a stranger, post often. and remember the most important aspect while here, have FUN! Your interest in Jefferson's are amongst the many members interest as well. Including me. Are you like me and expected too much from the change in the Jeffs in 2004? I thought they would really stay on fire throughout? but instead they sort of fell off the planet. What you explain to us members about in your introduction, has already taken us to school, so to speak, you taught us something too. Thanks. Once again, Welcome to our Forum, Rocco. - joey :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to, in my opinion, one of the best numismatic coin information rich places in the world. :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome. Love your passion for what you enjoy collecting.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome Rocco!

Jeffersons are great - nice choice. I can already tell you will be a huge benefit to these boards. Welcome!!!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2017 11:54PM

Welcome. There are many here who enjoy Jeffersons, myself included.
    I'll check your website out in a bit.

• Options
    tychojoetychojoe Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

Nice post, great article, super registry. Welcome! These are way cool contributions to the hobby and the community. Thanks!

I'm curious if you've built one of those virtual album books that can be made on PCGS? I saw your coin albums linked from your registry, but there's also a kind of virtual Dansco that I've seen that other collectors have made using a PCGS app. I haven't made one so I don't have any more information on that part. But if you haven't tried it yet, I think you've got great stock to make one!

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! The article you wrote is full of useful information, nice job!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aspie_Rocco .... Welcome aboard.... Good information, nice paintings... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome aboard.

Note: As with a vast majority of 1994 Satin examples left in the packaging, the reverse of the coin is usually subtly toned. I suspect the packaging influenced the light toning, nickels that were removed from the packaging environment early, usually do not exhibit significant toning.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options

I wanted to add to yesterday and let you know where I'm at Jefferson Nickel wise because it is one of my personal favorites too.

I'm working on a Dansco Jefferson album 1938-2009 of uncs and been stuck for a few months on decent pre 70s, bunch of holes filled but still lack a lot. I've hit the local coins stores and they have nothing left I need. This years big coin show is coming up this weekend, very hopeful to fill more holes.

Finding full steps or near thrills me more than any other coin find so far.

Also I think the Westward Journey series is incredible and buy some of that when I come across it. I have some slabbed, some proof and mint sets, mint special editions and have a 1st day cover set in envelopes that is totally cheesy but I think it's neat.

I'd be interested in some Jefferson Nickel trades with some of you nickel traders for sure.

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2017 11:19AM

Welcome aboard............I too suffer from Jeffersonitis :smiley:

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the boards! I also have some jefferson nickels around here, though I am not hunting for steps or grades.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    SangoSango Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

Hello!! I am also new here, been collecting for some time, but never thought to look for a board of like minded folks!!! Glad to be hear, look forward to learning loads and loads and loads

My favorites are seated liberties of all types
    Sango

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing your passion Rocco! I enjoyed reading your articles on website, and I think your registry set is phenomenal!

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aspie_Rocco

Rocco rocks, again welcome to the COIN forum. :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome aboard.

Jeffersons are addictive.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options

Just got an order of Jefferson Nickels in from @Aspie_Rocco and couldn't be happier. He knows Jefferson Nickels like a true professional and is great to deal with, I mean Great.

Got some real nice book fillers and some PCGS holdered ones.

He texted me pictures of the ones I was getting and the packed envelope on Saturday at 1 PM, it was in my mail box Monday at 10 AM 2,200 miles away, quickest shipment ever!

Thanks Rocco!

• Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Welcome aboard Rocco! Great introduction as well BTW. Great to have you posting here, and beautiful Jefferson!

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome sir!

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rocco, I sure wish in 2006 they would have returned to the previous obverse used from 1938-2003.
    The current obverse is one of the worst ever regular issue US coins in my view.
    Mr. Jefferson looks like Roger Daltrey or the guy from REO Speedwagon (as they look now!) Ugh.........

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Rocco,
    My name is Joe and I'm also a buffalo nickel and a Jefferson fan. Welcome to this forum. I'm sure you'll make many new friends here as everyone is quite nice and would be happy to help you with just about anything.
    All the best to you :)

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! Lot of work you have in the set and website and some nice selections from what I can see. The 55D/S is a tough bird to find with a nice strike anyway. Did you have most of those coins certified yourself? Regardless, how long have you been collecting this series?

Great work!

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    edited February 7, 2017 12:21PM

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. It's great to be among folks with common interests and I appreciate the warm welcomes.

@leothelyon said:
    Wow! Lot of work you have in the set and website and some nice selections from what I can see. The 55D/S is a tough bird to find with a nice strike anyway. Did you have most of those coins certified yourself? Regardless, how long have you been collecting this series?

Great work!

Leo

I've been into Jefferson nickels actively since about 2010.
    I started actively making the to move to PCGS in early February 2016, so it's been a year for most of the pcgs collection
    I have submitted about 50 or more of my own coins for grading or reholder and either traded for or purchased the rest.
    I have most of the ones raw that are missing from my registry except the high dollar MS varieties.
    If Ever win the lottery, I would get all of my coins slabbed, but I would have to stop buying nickels to buy a ticket.
    Ohh the dilemma :)

Thanks again everyone!

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome, Rocco.

We all look forward to your input.

OINK

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file