Home U.S. Coin Forum

U.S. Pattern Coin - 1855 Flying Eagle Cent, "Contemporary Electrotype" - Update -> Removed from eBay

PushkinPushkin Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭
edited February 1, 2017 7:58AM in U.S. Coin Forum

"However it looks very nice at arms length."

Buy your contemporary electroplate 1855 pattern now :o I owned a real one once, you didn't have to look at it at arms length for it to look good.

Contemporary electroplate - I believe there is another word for this thing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/U-S-Pattern-Coin-1855-Flying-Eagle-Cent-Contemporary-Electrotype-Non-Mint-/371849664812?hash=item5693f7992c:g:0KMAAOSwLEtYipS4

Update - Removed from eBay - it was a piece of electroplated lead, but not a terrible copy with no "COPY" on it.

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks as if it has disappeared.... Cheers, RickO

• MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, gone

• CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭

U S Pattern Coin 1855 Flying Eagle Cent Contemporary Electrotype Non Mint
    0 results. You may also like

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• PushkinPushkin Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭

Darn, and I didn't take a screen shot. Sorry about that, but I'm glad it's gone. The bidding was over $100 for a piece of electroplated lead when I found it.

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2017 11:20AM

That's ashamed that a contemporary electrotype cannot be sold on its own merits. I think most collectors today do not understand the process and purpose of their creation. Deception was Not their purpose, many collectors duplicated their own specimens, as have I. Detection of an electrotype is amazingly easy. Methods range from simply looking at the edge, weighing, dropping it on a table (lack of ring) and XRF which would show a 100% pure copper surface makeup.

• PushkinPushkin Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭

@ambro51 said:
    That's ashamed that a contemporary electrotype cannot be sold on its own merits. I think most collectors today do not understand the process and purpose of their creation. Deception was Not their purpose, many collectors duplicated their own specimens, as have I. Detection of an electrotype is amazingly easy. Methods range from simply looking at the edge, weighing, dropping it on a table (lack of ring) and XRF which would show a 100% pure copper surface makeup.

I would have no problem with the sale of such items if it were made CRYSTAL CLEAR what the item was. I would even consider purchasing one for some of the reasons ambros51 mentions. However, having owned a number of pattern 1854 and 1855 "medium cents", the wording in the ad was at the very least least borderline deceptive. They should have explained what the term non-mint meant, what an electroplated item is - in some detail, and why the coin was basically a copy and yet it didn't have "COPY" on it. Transparency is the issue, IMO.

As for easy detection, there should be no need to have to detect the coin for authenticity. The very need for such testing implies deception.

• SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Define 'contemporary'. I have dozens of antique electrotypes, and it is not clear to me that this piece is mid-19th century.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file