Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1861 "War hoard"--Monaco

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.monacorarecoins.com/1861-war-hoard-type-double-eagles-bonus/

The link indicates it was a rare hoard coming out of Europe. Is there any way to know all the coins were part of the same group? Do they deserve a premium?

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why would they deserve a premium?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

They (Monoco) have been advertising these for sale on TV for several weeks that I've seen.

I cannot see a premium for these coins due to the Europe war hoard label.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

They were............."Recovered from secret European bank vaults where they were tucked away for over 100 years."

Yippee!!

• Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't imagine paying more for a coin since it sat overseas for 100+ years instead of in the hands of private individuals.

• Options

Not enough panache like the Saddle Ridge hoard. At least not "conserved" coins from a shipwreck.

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

some look pretty nice to me.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh great... another 'hoard'.... what is it about that buzzword that shysters use - and neophytes flock to - that seems to immediately assign a premium value? Frankly, I just do not care where a coin has been....for me, the coins history is the date it displays and where I get it. Just tell me the price and keep the hype.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Oh great... another 'hoard'.... what is it about that buzzword that shysters use - and neophytes flock to - that seems to immediately assign a premium value? Frankly, I just do not care where a coin has been....for me, the coins history is the date it displays and where I get it. Just tell me the price and keep the hype.... Cheers, RickO

While I agree with Ricko , in the world of marketing it is the sizzle that sells.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

We're not their market

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2017 8:23AM

Buy the story if it's good enough.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

We're not their market

Bingo.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wabbit2313 said:
    They were............."Recovered from secret European bank vaults where they were tucked away for over 100 years."

Yippee!!

Indeed. Has the Wells Fargo label done much for double eagle collectors lately?

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    oldgoldloveroldgoldlover Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

NO I don't care if R.E Lee handled the coin. Any time this seller spends this much money on a "war hoard" it is another way of saying help us unload some common date coins with a story behind them. Besides the 1861 P $20 is a very common date as far as DEs go. Buy the coin, not the story or holder.

• Options

I've been impressed with these imaginative glossy brochures and stories behind them, sometimes the wrong people chase them that don't have that much money to "invest" in them long term based on their economics. I know a guy who took a pile of precious metals based on a conversation with Moneco/Monex and took out a leveraged contract based on silver going up in a price with a narrow window, with the whole kit and kaboodle tied up. He got financially wiped out when the metal did not rise.

• Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

About 1-2 year ago I remember a major promoter was paying very large premiums for any 1861 $20 in xf and above (even cleaned coins were being bought).

I wonder if he bought 1-200 coins and sold them to a bank vault in europe and recently re-discovered they were there and sold the deal to monaco???

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerguy21D said:
    We're not their market

Bingo.

Bingo+1

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd be mildly interested if a large hoard of classic US gold was discovered in a vault in Monaco--the principality of Monaco on the French Riviera.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Truly amazing how the Nazi's missed all those "secret" bank vaults all over Europe.

• Options

I remember Billy Paul telling me about his European trips where he would be looking for numismatic gold coins, he had the right contacts as many other buyers do.

• Options
    JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2017 5:30PM

This date is the most common Type I Double Eagle and is far and away the easiest to obtain in uncirculated condition, Per David Akers - CoinFacts.

Don't buy the Hype.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file