Home U.S. Coin Forum

Intercept Shield Boxes - New vs. Old

Quite a few years ago I bought an Intercept Shield box that holds 10 slabbed coins - it's got an individual box (or sleeve) for each slab and then the 10 slab boxes go into an outer box. It's got the original 'Intercept Shield' logo on it. I had some ebay bucks about to expire so I bought another new one. Got it today and was a little surprised at the differences. The new one is made by Lighthouse and has the 'Intercept Technology' logo on it. The new one seems a bit less...sturdy I guess would be the best word than the old one. I guess all that matters is the that the black intercept lining is there.

Is the new product by Lighthouse the closest thing to the old Intercept Shield one?

Comments

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. Lighthouse must OEM them. I'm sure it's every bit as good as the original.
    wizardcoinsupply.com/product/intercept-shield-double-protection-box.html
    Lance.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

The old ones were WAY too tight for PCGS slabs.
    I have some left and use them to transport coins just to not scratch the slabs.
    But use them for storage? Too frustrating to dig the slabs out.
    I finally mashed all the corners with a hammer and at least they let go of the slab
    Integrity compromised though.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2017 11:08PM

There used to be an Intercept "Track Box". It was like a PCGS box with slots for 20 slabs but with the Intercept protection. I wish they would bring that back. Looks like it's only available through Wizard for ANACS slabs now.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know the Dime book does not work. I just looked at my dimes a week ago and some have toning going on so I just put them back. I'll look at them again in 5 or 10 years from now. :/

Hoard the keys.
  • AmazonXAmazonX Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

I've used both. Agree with @topstuf that they were too tight for PCGS slabs, but I liked it that way. The old ones were also slightly thicker and the top cover would not slip off as easily. My complaint with the lighthouse one is that the tops always slip off. Feels like I need to tape them shut.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think there's a 10 year expiration date on the effectiveness of the Intercept protection if I recall correctly.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:
    I think there's a 10 year expiration date on the effectiveness of the Intercept protection if I recall correctly.

Your memory is still intact. :)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last I checked I couldn't find the 10-year thing anymore. Instead there were qualifications about storage conditions, so the lifetime effectiveness could vary.

One tip provided was to pay attention to the color of the box liner that does the job. It should be red/brown. Once it has blackened it is saturated and no longer effective.
    Lance.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file