Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Lot of interesting Heraldic Art stuff on eBay right now

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

All the items have sold strong, in my opinion. Some super cool stuff! Probably much more still to come from the original seller.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2017 1:40AM

A lot of neat stuff is becoming available right now. A lot of these are only 1 collector away from Robert McNamara. Of note, Ron Landis got his first two coin presses from Robert McNamara's estate.

Here a note from the seller:

I have many, many items that came from Robert's McNamara's estate. I have been collecting Robert's medals and researching them and his life for 7 years now. I started after my father died and wanted to put the best collection of Heraldic Art medals and historical items together that had ever been assembled after Robert's death in my fathers honor and memory and as a tribute to Robert McNamara. My father had started a collection in 1959 and was one of Robert's original subscribers. My original plan was to donate a substantial part the collection when completed to the ANA Museum in Colorado so medal enthusiasts would be able to see that part of medallic history. I was told that they weren't interested as they didn't the room and the collection would just sit in storage in a warehouse. I received pretty much the same response from the Smithsonian Museum of American History in Washington, DC and some museums in Cleveland. I wanted to share Roberts works with anyone that was interested. Because of health and other issues I have now decided instead of selling this collection off to one collector only to have him stash it in a safe, a warehouse of whatever where no one would ever get to see it, I'd rather split it up so a lot of collectors who have an interest in Robert McNamara and his medals have a chance to own a piece of this history. I do intend to publish a book about Robert McNamara and his works in the not to distant future, Look for many interesting listings to be posted here on eBay in the near future.

I was able to pick up this set of 1960 Boy Scout dies recently. I was also the underbidder on the 1959 Hawaii dies when they sold last year.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very unique items... and it seems there may be quite a bit more coming to market. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    edited March 5, 2017 11:34AM

There certainly has been...and there's more to come. :)

-Paul

• Options

@coinkid855 Sweet! Looks newly minted from the cancelled dies. Did you strike this or have this struck?

• Options

Indeed. Doing the entire series in copper.

• Options
    edited March 5, 2017 12:16PM

Neat project.

How many will you be minting of each? Will you be selling them or posting your mintages?

• Options

Striking 30 sets to start. You can PM for more details. :)

• Options
    edited October 30, 2018 12:28PM

Wow, it's been a while since I started this project! Here's an album to all of the restrikes:

Imgur.com/a/tDA9A

• Options

More cool stuff coming soon!

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did they have a 1795 half dime die set? ;)

• Options

I wish! Copper restrikes of those would look pretty nice! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file