Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Morgan enthusiasts to grade or not to grade

Received this back in the summer by LVA who confirmed VAM. Question is to grade or not, bag marks or cleaning?

Comments

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would pass on grading.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin looks harshly cleaned so you're looking at Unc details at best. At that point, the VAM speaks for itself and the plastic doesn't add anything. I don't know if the VAM even carries a premium. Which one is it?

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not for me.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is absolutely no way that coin will make it to a straight-grade holder. Unless for some reason you need the VAM be on the label of a details coin, there's no point.

• Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2017 11:47PM

LVA designated it a 7A and not sure what that means in terms of intrinsic value. I am not a collector of any Morgans. It was given to my mother as one of 50 for her 50th wedding anniversary by her mother. Mom knew nothing about coins & they sat on a shelf for years. Not sure if it, or any of the 50 Morgans and Peace dollars had been cleaned prior to grandma obtaining them though word has it she purchased them from a local dealer. Mom is in a nursing home now with advanced dementia. Translate that to all 50 coins have sentimental value at best. My preference is commems. Your opinions and input are invaluable. Thanks

• Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2017 10:02AM

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Certainly a coin with sentimental value.... why not self slab? It seems to have had a very harsh cleaning sometime in the past....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

LVA's letter is just confirming which VAM it is. He identified it as an already known die pairing. I would not grade it and the VAM isn't a value adding one. If you want it holdered with the VAM identified for sentimental reasons and protection @messydesk will put it in one of his slabs with his VSS label identifying the VAM. Shoot him a PM here or you can contact him through his website. Email is at the bottom... www.varslab.com

The more you VAM..

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file