Home U.S. Coin Forum

This is a "WOW" medal if I've ever seen one!!

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm willing to stretch for it, but not too far.

Al H.

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW is right Al.... that is really nice.... Hope you get it...Is it an auction? Snipe with a nuclear bid.... Cheers, RickO

• ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

That does have WOW factor, hope you get it.

• OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2017 7:13AM

WOW and I'll raise it to a BOSS & NEATO.............Stunning

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy SMOKES, Al; that is a beauty!

Cheers

Bob

• Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

That is an amazing medal.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have it on my watch list. I doubt I'll bid but it is a nice medal.
    I was curious what it would go for.
    It might be more now. I think if I was interested in it I would have waited to post this.

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely agree about a "WOW!" response.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a beauty! PL contrast used to great effect.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

More like a "Spiffy!"

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

How much gold is that?

• SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold content of a gilt medal? Not enough to be worth dissolving off.

That medal is fairly common in bronze with PL surfaces, and quite impressive. This gilt one is a real looker.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

That one needs to be examined in hand. It would be my luck that it would show up with hairlines (not from cleaning) that can't be seen in the photos.

It does seem exceptional from those photos!

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice, but way outta my league.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2017 7:12PM

Looks like a wonderful specimen!

I hope you win it!

Here's the HA link which doesn't have much in the way of a description and what it does have is incorrect as it seems to be based on the also incorrect NGC attribution.

The slab and auction description say this piece is associated with the "1892 World's Columbian Exposition" but in 2008 HA previously, and correctly, said this is associated with the "1892 Italian-American Exposition" (Esposizione Italo-Americana) in Genoa, Italy. Here's information on the Italian-American Expo in Gonoa from Wikipedia.

Current description of Eglit-273:

1892 World's Columbian Exposition, Cristoforo Columbo, MS65 Deep Prooflike NGC. Eglit-273. Gilt bronze, 50mm.

2008 HA Eglit-273 auction description:

1892 Italian-American Exposition Medal. Eglit-273. Aluminum, 50.4 mm, 13 gm. Dies by Mayer & Wilhelm of Stuttgart, Germany, although unsigned. Issued to commemorate the 1892 Esposizione Italo-Americana held in Genoa, celebrating the 400th year since the discovery of America. The obverse features a bust of Christopher Columbus within concentric circles and a wreath, his name and date of birth and death around, in Italian. Reverse: allegorical scene with a seated Italia and a standing Indian guide, both pointing, view of the fairgrounds in the background. Arms of Genoa above with Italian legend around (Souvenir of the Italian-American Exposition in Genoa), 1892 in exergue. Semiprooflike fields with no significant rim bumps or scratches, although some light hairlines are noted. This design was the basis for the Eglit-55 medal issued by the same firm for the 1893 Chicago World's Fair.

Here's some information on Mayer & Wilhelm from the British Museum:

Mayer & Wilhelm (Biographical details)
    Mayer & Wilhelm (sculptor/medallist; manufacturer/factory; German; Male; 1860; founded)
    Also known as
    Mayer & Wilhelm; Mayer, Wilhelm; Wilhelm, Frantz; Stuttgarter Metallwaren Fabrik
    Biography
    A die sinking establishement which was founded in 1860 by Wilhelm Mayer who was a sculptor and engraver. In 1876 his brother in law Frantz Wilhelm joined the firm. Wilhelm Mayer was born in 1840, Franz was born in 1846 and was an engraver by trade. Often appears on medals as Mayer & Wilhelm st. or M. & W. ST.
    Bibliography
    P Attwood, 'Acquisitions of medals (1983-1987)', British Museum Occasional Paper 78, London, 1991.

Is it possible to tell whether it was Wilhelm Mayer or Franz Wilhelm who engraved the dies?

• stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

i did actually think "oh, wow" when i looked at the reverse.

edited January 29, 2017 7:53PM

Here are photos of this specimen when it was sold by Stack's back in 2014, unslabbed. It looks gorgeous!

Description
    Unknown to Eglit in gilt bronze, this cameo specimen could easily be described as Proof as opposed to prooflike Mint State. The devices are heavily frosted and contrast strongly with deeply mirrored fields. Bright yellow gold color throughout, only the faintest traces of the underlying bronze are discernible in isolated areas on the edge. A few wispy handling marks in the obverse field are all that preclude a Choice rating.
    Estimate: $0.00 - $0.00

edited January 29, 2017 7:53PM
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2017 8:07PM

Keets that is freakin awesome! Thanks for sharing

Mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • SCDHunterSCDHunter Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

Very nice medal!

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very very nice.

Hoard the keys.
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't collect such things but I can sure appreciate them. Very nice.

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

She's a beaut. But boy if you want it you sure have got gilded brass balls posting about it before the auction kicks off.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is the ratio of real vs counterfeits?

• bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

What was the hammer price In Stack's 2014 auction?

• stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭

@Sonorandesertrat said:

That medal is fairly common in bronze with PL surfaces, and quite impressive. This gilt one is a real looker.

So if bronze pieces are so common, why don't more people gilt those pieces and pass them off as contemporary coins.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow spelled backwards is still WOW. :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stealer said:

@Sonorandesertrat said:

So if bronze pieces are so common, why don't more people gilt those pieces and pass them off as contemporary coins.

The market for foreign-made medals, even ones with nice designs and a U.S.-related theme, is much thinner than for coins. I'm sure that people who engage in altering numismatic collectibles have more profitable targets.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

if my understanding and references are correct, it doesn't work like that. the planchets are first gilded and then struck.

Some other medals that are also impressive

it looks like that sale at Goldberg's was the collection of Tom Hoffman, a forum member and the driving force behind the 2nd edition of So-Called Dollars. he had a very large collection of medals by Eglit numbers. judging only by the half-dozen or so pieces that I viewed from the link he might have done better to list them with Heritage or Stacks.

@keets... So you did not win the medal?? :( Cheers, RickO

• I like it.

In the time of Chimpanzee's
    I was a Monkey
    edited February 19, 2017 11:14PM

Sold for $1,645.00. That's about double of what it was when this thread was posted.

Hope you got it @keets !

• Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some medals were hot tonight at the Heritage auction or should I say good. The NGC PL and DPL did well. Some pop ones when for good money at least In my opinion.....

not me as the winner, it went past what I had valued it at.

Sorry to hear that Al.. sure is a beauty... Cheers, RickO

edited March 1, 2017 1:32AM

Here's a white metal World's Columbian Expo, Chicago medal (from the bay) for comparison with the Italian medal.

I think it's neat to see these designs side by side.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file