Home Metal Detecting

Comments

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sand, dish soap, water, tumble 2-3 hours, rinse & dry. Ready for the bank. When I do the pennies I always check for missed wheat cents

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

thats cool, i like

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

That sure is a well thought out systematic method of obtaining the desired end result.
    Thanks for sharing the informative photos of your method. :+1::smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

I'm also interested in what is on the street sign..........looks like maybe 'one way' ? :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options

PPS There are a lot of interesting coins there :smile:

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's how I clean mine.
    Though it looks like you've worked that tumbler hard. :)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like that is an excellent system...have you ever tried a cartridge cleaner with dry media? That works well also..... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    basetsbbasetsb Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭

@pocketpiececommems said:
    Sand, dish soap, water, tumble 2-3 hours, rinse & dry. Ready for the bank. When I do the pennies I always check for missed wheat cents

I've found that small aquarium rocks will help get more grit off the coins.

@basetsb_coins on Instagram

• Options

If you're going to clean a coin to sell it, this isn't the way to go. For rare coins, don't use any abrasives, don't rub it, pat dry, and hold it by the rim. Also, don't use any acids (such as vinegar).

• Options

The sign is an Exempt sign that was left on an ab

• Options

I would not do this to a valuable coin. I'm talking about cleaning up clad to take to the bank or Coinstar. There is no way that most of my finds would be acceptable at a bank etc.

• Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

Ok, so this is great for the coins you are going to spend or take to the bank. But what about other coins?

I recently found my box of wheat cents I found back in the early 1980's and I am guessing there are around 500 coins ranging from 1909 through 1958, all with a layer of dirt on them except where the date is.

Any way to get the crud off them without destroying the value?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try an acetone bath... might take several baths with that amount of cents.... Also, be sure to use high grade acetone.... rinse with hot water when done... You could also do them in small batches.... but if they are really cruddy, it will still take two or three baths. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

Thank RickO. I will give it a try.

• Options
    basetsbbasetsb Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Try an acetone bath... might take several baths with that amount of cents.... Also, be sure to use high grade acetone.... rinse with hot water when done... You could also do them in small batches.... but if they are really cruddy, it will still take two or three baths. Cheers, RickO

I also recommend a q tip to help get the crud off.

@basetsb_coins on Instagram

• Options

Olive oil dissolves the crud. Takes a few months. Tsp and warm water dip, rinse with distilled water and set on a lint free soft clean towel to dry.****