Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I need a new collecting direction like I need a hole in my head...ouch, that hurt!

I blame all of you. Every single one. Cough, cough (@Zohar especially and he knows why) cough.

Of all things to buy when my budget was being steered to some 'serious' Japanese coin bidding...I'd already slipped bought a couple ancients and had NO INTENTION of winning an ancient at Stacks. But geez, the sighthound was irresistible.

(I'm totally experimenting with the photo layout here, comments appreciated on if/how to incorporate a label on a forum friendly/vertically oriented combination shot).

Comments

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bet Homer likes that one!

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, he would if he had a clue. Silly dog. My husband picked it up and said 'Why did you buy this???'. Then he flipped it over and said 'Oh, never mind'. One of them is well trained, but I won't say which.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

Variety is the spice of life.

That coin is very nice and it adds "spice" to your collection. And it is your collection, so have fun with it.

There is no rule that one must collect sets or logical groupings. Collect whatever strikes your fancy! And when it no longer strikes your fancy, you will have no guilt selling it.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can see why you bought it! Gorgeous coin. In terms of the image, I love how you're accommodating the vertical format. Personally I wouldn't change anything with regards to the label.

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cathy - seems like the ancient ship has sailed... in a great way. Love it!

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super coin! Love the dog! :+1::sunglasses:

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool pickup!

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw that coin. Not one of my interests, but extraordinarily beautiful.
    I know what you mean by new collecting interests.
    I have been thinking of collecting European and US coins from a significant year in my family history. 1884 (grandfather's birth year); 1890 (great grandfather's immigration to US); or 1893 (grandfather's immigration to US). I did start something of a collection many years ago, but did not go too far. Maybe now?

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options

It must be the busy little monkey brain. Can't stop looking around and trying to learn about new things. Well, that or the dragon gene that demands the hoarding of small round (or not), shiny (or not), valuable (or not) bits of money-ish type things.

I think all of those are good ideas for a collection--would you stick with country of origin or any country with the correct year?

BTW, did you see the coin in a preview? I threw a last minute bid in online and was very pleased with the appearance when it showed up. I had lost a big bid in another auction and had that 'free money' feeling. VERY happy with the way this went, though I stewed a bit while waiting for it to arrive. Not a planned purchase at all, so I was kicking myself for the impulse bid. No more kicking.

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ancient's are crack. Just start once then it's a free fall from there.

Lovely coin though, love the toning.

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

would you stick with country of origin or any country with the correct year?
    My original collection idea was to obtain coins that my forbearers may have seen, on the way from Bessarabia (modern day Moldova) to the port of Rotterdam.

I think I saw the subject ancient on line, in the auction catalogue. Had to resist bidding on it.

A sidenote about the recent auctions. I had paid cash for coins obtained the Goldberg sponsored auction; picked them up on site. Later got an invoice from the Goldbergs, demanding payment. Naturally, I objected to paying twice, told them I would not have the medals in my possession if I had not paid for them and finally gave them a name of a witness. The Goldberg firm said that if there was a problem, they would call me back. They did not, so I hope I am OK.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭

That's a very nice piece to start a new collection with!

• Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭

Very Nice coin Cathy .. I haven't gone ancient .. whew I glad, too much great stuff

• Options
    BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

Congrats, I love them with some color.

• Options

@BS said:
    Congrats, I love them with some color.

Turns out, me too :D. I was trying to tilt it a bit to show off the color, and it messed with the focus a bit. Need to learn more photography to do this one justice! The color was more important than the focus on that first try.

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

To echo others, nice coin. I'm partial to coins and dogs, so I'm doubly pleased by your choice. Congrats on the newp.

As for the format, the vertical arrangement fits very well for the modern generation of smart phone users. But using TPG inserts is not my preference. I like to write my own; it's terribly time consuming but very educational and a whole lot of fun.

If you choose to write your own tags, I can certainly send you templates in Apple Pages (not sure if I have them in MS Word anymore). I use CNG's style.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

Very nice Cathy.

I had lost a big bid in another auction and had that 'free money' feeling.

Can't help but wonder what you missed though. B)

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭

Lovely coin! If you're having fun then you're doing it right! :)