Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Does anyone know where I can buy a copy of "The Coins of Independent Peru" Volume 6?

I can't seem to track this book down and I check at NYINC and no one could help me...and I've been looking for a year or so.

The book was written by Horace P. Flatt. I reached out to him, but he no longer has any copies of the book for sale and this is the only complete reference material on this series that I know of. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I see that there is a copy available for rent on Newman Numismatic Portal, but I would need it for more than 2 weeks.

Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you checked archive.org for a digital copy or abebooks?

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did some searching, it appears to be a tough one to find at the moment.
    However I have found, in my own experience, that everything shows up eventually, it's just a matter of time and perseverance.

I'd suggest that you enter the title and author into ebay's search (in various ways), if you haven't already, in order to get notified by email if one should pop up for sale. Couple that with a monthly search on Abe's Books, Second Story Books and Amazon (lots of used books show up there) and I'm sure it won't be too long before you find one. Vcoins will have some books now and then too.

OT

It would be interesting to consider establishing a virtual library on these boards.

So many of us have reference materials that we are not constantly using.
    We could potentially create a master spreadsheet of books we would be willing to lend to one another, at least lend to established board members.
    Shipping back and forth could be done via media mail on the cheap, or by priority mail paid at the borrowers expense.

Good luck finding what you are looking for.

JC

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you both for the info.

Boosibri- I did search archive.org and didn't find anything, but I have never heard from Abe's books.

Thanks for the info JC, looks like I need to check out Abe books like boosibri mentioned too.

When I find that book, I want to make some additional copies of it so I can share it with others as there is not much info on Peru coins.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2017 11:07PM

I bought a complete set of this series from Dale Seppa via eBay about 2 years ago. You may want to write him to see if he has any individual volumes left.

Jeff Zarit sold these many (10+) years ago and he may have one lying around too.

I believe you are referring to ABE which stands for Advanced Book Exchange and not someone's name. In fact, it is now owned by Amazon. www.abebooks.com

ABE is a platform for dealers (and a few mom & pop shops) to sell their books in a more specialized setting on the Internet. It isn't a book dealer itself, just like eBay doesn't maintain an inventory.

• Options

@pruebas said:
    I bought a complete set of this series from Dale Seppa via eBay about 2 years ago. You may want to write him to see if he has any individual volumes left.

I already reached out to Dale, Horace Flatt (the author) and Thomas Galway a few months ago too to no avail, but thanks for the info! Jeff is next on my list, I forget where I found his name and listing (it was in some numismatic publication) selling these books. If that doesn't work, onto the Advanced Book Exchange! I'll let everyone know when I do find a copy.

• Options
    santeliasantelia Posts: 138 ✭✭

American Numismatic Society has a copy in their library; perhaps you can get an inter-library loan? I have had good luck talking to the librarians there in the past; they are coin nerds. Beyond that, abebooks. I searched for three years for a full volume self-published set by a fellow collector, and found it from a CA book dealer. It took a while, but it was definitely worth it.

Chinese cash enthusiast
  • Options

@santelia said:
    American Numismatic Society has a copy in their library; perhaps you can get an inter-library loan? I have had good luck talking to the librarians there in the past; they are coin nerds. Beyond that, abebooks. I searched for three years for a full volume self-published set by a fellow collector, and found it from a CA book dealer. It took a while, but it was definitely worth it.

Thanks! I saw it there, but really want to purchase one. I guess I'll have to settle on loaning it until I can find one.