Home Metal Detecting

Winter is a great time to do research. How do you find your next potential hunt site?

JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally, I love maps, old maps in particular.
I use them with google earth overlays to pinpoint locations of interest.
What do you like to do?

Tagged:

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent technique.... and I agree... Winter (especially in the NorthEast) is a super time for research... Cheers, RickO

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

omg, i know that area.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here in the west, old maps are pretty much non existent. So, a lot has been written however, and that resource material is my first choice. Then it's off to the BLM in the district that I am interested in searching. Then it's a modern map and google earth to get the lay of the land. Then it's contact the local metal detecting club for information if you can find one in that area. Then it's off to the hunt!

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny9434 said:
    omg, i know that area.

Well I have lots of maps of Massachusetts, as well as NH & VT, you could always shoot me a message if your looking for a particular area, I might just have it.

edited January 27, 2017 7:43AM

@AUandAG ...yep... for the west, it is different... when I MD'd in AZ, the available maps were mostly old county maps with little detail.... and out in the wild there, you encounter a LOT of detail... ravines, washes, scrub cactus patches, huge rocky areas... so reading and contacts are important. Cheers, RickO

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JohnnyCache said:

@johnny9434 said:
    omg, i know that area.

Well I have lots of maps of Massachusetts, as well as NH & VT, you could always shoot me a message if your looking for a particular area, I might just have it.

will do and thank you :)

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah yes, I'll be passing through Westfield on my way to Great Barrington tomorrow AM.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭

A couple weeks ago I took 90 through Mass on the way to visit my buddy in NY.

edited January 28, 2017 9:50AM

duplicate

@pcgs69........ 90 joins NYS just north of me....Where in NYS were you visiting?? Cheers, RickO

• pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @pcgs69........ 90 joins NYS just north of me....Where in NYS were you visiting?? Cheers, RickO

I was on my way to the Fort Drum area right next to Lake Ontario. A lot of War of 1812 history there but haven't had a chance to try any serious detecting there.

Might make another trip there in the spring or summer and try a bit.

Yep.. great historical area... best of luck when you do get to go.... Cheers, RickO