Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thoughts on this WLH with annoying black spots

zippcityzippcity Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭✭

Does it make any sense to have these spots removed? And does the rim ding on the reverse kill this coin? Comments, opinions. Best I can do with pics.


Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin- JimTyler-

Comments

  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 23,232 ✭✭✭✭✭

    You can dip it if you like, but then you would simply have a dipped white AU coin or low end MS with hairlines in the obverse field and reverse rim damage at 3:00 o'clock. I would suggest you leave it as-is.

    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

    In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

    image
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I would leave it alone. It looks like it's in some kind of album, which is likely the reason why it's toning.

    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

    RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

    CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    As stated above, attempts to enhance it will not likely improve it ... and more likely reveal other issues. Sell the coin and get one that you like. Cheers, RickO

  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

    I love Walkers but not that one.
    I also am in the sell it and move on camp.

    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 10,395 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2017 10:41AM

    I don't see any black spots---I just see some old toning, which I find perfectly acceptable.

    The rim ding bothers me far worse.

    I wouldn't dip it, even if it were MS. But the fact that it could be an AU makes it completely out of the question. There is nothing worse than a dipped circulated coin, imho.

    It is not a scarce date, either. So, if you don't like it; I'd sell it and replace it with one that pleases you more.

    Sometimes, it’s better to be LUCKY than good. 🍀 🍺👍

    My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

    https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

    You cannot dip out a rim ding. The coin is just fine the way it is.

    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Leave this coin as it is, it looks more natural....

    The court jester does not play, but gently pulls the strings…

  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 9,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

    What everyone else said...

  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 25,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It's OK as an album coin. The dipping would make it less desirable.

    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Nice original coin. Relatively common issue for the series. Rim ding is a bummer.

    With WLHs where they are in price, a replacement as a 41, 42, or 43 Philadelphia in gem with a nice look/good eye appeal could likely be done for around $100.

  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Ditto what others said.
    But I don't think I would replace that coin with another better one, to be stored in that same album.
    First I see no surface protection at all, second judging by the Barber half it's some kind type set with low grade circs mixed in.
    No reason to put a Gem walker in that album. If that coin bothers you, find a choice common date AU, that you don't mind acquiring some toning and friction over the years.

    Successful BST transactions with 177 members. breakdown, scotty1419, mattniss, bigjpst, onlyroosies, Manorcourtman, guitarwes, Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I see PVC. Dip it in acetone.

  • Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2017 11:37PM

    Pocket piece!

    It's a common date WLH, so it should be easy to find a replacement you like. (There are hundreds on ebay.)

    Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, jacrispies, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

  • Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @COCollector said:
    Pocket piece!

    It's a common date WLH, so it should be easy to find a replacement you like. (There are hundreds on ebay.)

    You beat me to it, as that is what I thought too.

    Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN, MWallace, ms71, lordmarcovan,JWP,dantheman984,olah_in_MA,USMC_6115

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file